[Main Thread] Rendering Device Lost - Older GPUs

OS version: Windows 10 21H1
GPU Make/Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN Black
Current Driver Version: Currently Version 473.81 (2022.8.2), but I also tried older versions before updating.
Rendering Device Lost when entering any map in the first few seconds (besides training grounds, it varies in there)

1 Like

Same issue, 1080TI on water. Temps are under 50c. Windows 11, 32 gigs of RAM. Cleaned drivers, and reinstalled. Reinstalled the game after the update, which before was running perfectly fine. Now crashes every game. Freezes. Have nothing running in the background though with an AMD 3900x I should have no issues! Updated Chipset drivers. No other game has an issue! THIS IS BLIZZARD! BLIZZARD
FIX YOUR GAME! HAD NO ISSUES TILL THIS LAST PATCH!

13 Likes

at this point its obvious a blizzard mistake, i hope they fix it, its a great game.

3 Likes

So that means that even though my APU is perfectly able to run overwatch 2 on medium graphics i won’t be able to play it because for some reason it doesn’t support APUs? And also is that ever gonna change, will blizzard optimize the game to be able to run on an APU or do i just have to buy a whole GPU to play the game?

2 Likes

Not sure if they saw your response, but I know the answer. If you can get it running, there is no rule against using it. But as the game receives updates and patches over time, it may stop working because it doesn’t meet the requirements. The development team isn’t going to optimize towards hardware they’ve already said isn’t supported.

But I could play ow1 that I paid… now I can’t play the game that I paid… Do i get a refound or something?

2 Likes

I highly doubt that as the fee was for the game license and access while it was available, not ownership of the files. However, nothing is stopping you from asking their Customer Service reps via ticket.

What I dont understand about this issue is what alot of yall have already said above my game runs completely fine temperatures are normal and the game runs at 60 FPS which is where I have it capped. I can get through a full game or so no problems running the entire match fine but seemingly random ill get the error. I would love a fix especially because we all seem to be playing much more system taxing games with ease.

9 Likes

I have the same problem, i play other games like valorant, forza5, and i never get this issue with other games. i can easy run 120 fps on my pc on overwatch and other games. this isn’t my problem i think its yours. other people are haveing the same issue with AMD. i have an amd 7.
please fix this, i love your game

5 Likes

I bought the first version of the game and played it for over 2 years. Now, after the update, I constantly get errors, although my video card freely pulls 100+ fps on low settings. I want a refund because the game has stopped working properly on my hardware.

1 Like

Like all online games, the fees are for the game while it is available. Think of it like renting an apartment, except you only paid the fee once and now the property is no longer available.

While I agree with the general statement with GPU needed to be supported. This is a F2p Game and having broad support is imperative for exposure of this game. I never had any graphical issues with OW1. Cutting off APU and iGPU will hurt exposure. Hope you include it in the future.

2 Likes

It was said that ow1 and 2 will coexist… Then everything changed when Jeff whent away… Feels kinda scammed by blizzard to be honest

3 Likes

Using the 1080TI aswell. No oc, no overheating, no problems in any other games. This seem to be a problem for a way too many players for it not to be an Overwatch problem. I hope they fix it soon.

Question: I 99% of times get this error in hero select. Is it the same for others?

4 Likes

Most of the time i crash when someone ults, especially when I’m ulting as Genji and Ana ults me. Even when i died to nanoblade from other Genji, i watched death cam and crashed the moment Ana boosted him.

3 Likes

This is definitely blizzard’s doing.

OW1 was running just fine. In OW2 the game crashes randomly mid matches without a good reason. I also get crash on Route 66 during loading if the graphic preset is set to anything higher than low.

8 Likes

same here, i been try everything and nothing work, this is a problem from overwatch 2, is the only game that give me this error

1 Like

GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 3GB
Driver version: 473.81

I don’t get it either, OW1 just works fine for me. I’ve experienced game crash and black screen before now Rendering Device Lost error. Im literally specheless and please stop saying its not your problem. Millions of player is having the same problem. You guys really have to hire better engineers.

4 Likes

Fyi my GPU is under your supported list with nividia Gtx 1660 6gb

4 Likes