[Main Thread] Overwatch 2 crashes after a couple of minutes

tried a long list like this myself, it’s not looking great for the ones with the crashes, been waiting to play forever since i couldn’t get into the beta, was a OW1 player and wanted to carry on with my journey but they shut it down and fed me :THIS

I’m suprised they haven’t done a single thing to help, I opened a ticket and no response, I just wanted to play overwatch 2 man lmao.

3 Likes

same, ticket been open for 48 hours, I started playing OW1 again recently getting ready for this launch and it’s been so disappointing…

why overwatch2 admins pls fix

No fix found, I assume? Kinda worried this bs gonna last the whole weekend.

1 Like

I wonder if it has to do w merging your progress? because I didn’t have an issue last night until this morning when I started merging, now no matter what I do the game just closes after a couple of minutes w no explanation.

I also played yesterday without issues and only got this today.

Didn’t do any merging, though.

1 Like

weird, they must’ve messed with something, will probably fix itself next update. for now we might just have to wait smh

2 Likes

Was playing back to back games yesterday with my nephew. (Ultra settings, HDR enabled) ZERO issues. All of a sudden it stopped working today and crashes after also 2-5 minutes. Really annoying. Any fixes so far? or temporary ones at least? Weekend is kind of ruined for the nephew.

Could this have something to do with the maintenance they did yesterday?

2 Likes

that’s definitely what it seems like tbh

2 Likes

Been checking the forums for hours, no fix found. I’ve seen people do all kinds of stuff short of reinstalling Windows and nothing seemed to help.

Edit: To be clear: If you’re getting a black screen for a few seconds and then a crash, it might be Razer software causing it. That would be a different crash. If the game just exits itself as if you’re pressing ALT+F4, that’s what I didn’t find any fix for.

2 Likes

I got this also on my PC, yesterday I played without any issue, but today 3xblackscreen after several minutes of play each (and each time hard PC reset was needed to do anything).

even after all these patches i still have no fix. i just wanna try out overwatch man…i have everything updated. i even tried uninstalling razer and still no fix. i know now that its a blizzard issue because we’re all experiencing the crash after 30 seconds or so of playing the game. so frustrating. blizzard. FIX. YOUR. GAME!

rx560x + ryzen 5 3550h the same

1 Like

just wanted to come back to this thread and let you guys know that a fresh install of windows fixed the issue for me, i recommend trying it if you have no other choice.

It’s not fixing anything for me and some other ppl.

Blizzard just need to fix that. I mean, this issue is since 5 days…

You need to reinstall windows it will fix this issue

unsure what the issue is exactly, but i tried the suggestion above about creating a secondary windows user account and trying that, and it worked, so, has something to do with personally installed software or settings or something in the user/person/appdata likely.

so did u just create another windows user account? no reinstalling windows?

Hi all, I’ve finally managed to get ow2 to work. I’ve been playing ow2 for 10+ matches, and now it sits open while I write this. Hopefully this is my last post in these threads.

For context I had decent PC specs, Ryzen 3600 (6/12 cpu) and 1660 ti. I, like many of you, can open overwatch2 to play at 144 fps but it abruptly closes after 2-3 minutes. Ow1 and Ow2 beta did NOT have this problem.

The solution was to re-install a clean windows, only after checking that my windows system was somewhat imperfect.

1. Looking at the overwatch logs I got the error “is the leading path component: /…/.build.info” it is an error log that ow1 also has, it just meant that the game had some sort of conflict with the system.

2. I did all the other recommended things like update windows, reinstall drivers, use the command to limit threads etc etc. I was able to do all of that with no change. Creating a new user, worked for like 3 hours, but the issue came back again afterwards.

3. So, as an effort to see if my system was really at fault (not the game). I tried using the DISM command tool and Windows MediaCreationTool to scan, verify and fix my windows system files. At this point, both tools gave me ‘installation failed’. This meant that some system file probably had been missing/corrupted in the years I’ve used this pc, but windows update just installs patches on top of it and makes everything work (slaps roof of car she’s a survivor ain’t it)

4. So I used MediaCreationTool to perform a clean install of windows using the latest version (removing personal files, had to backup everything/ reinstall all my apps / re-set settings for various programs).

5. It was a leap of faith, but after all the hassle, I tried ow2 and it worked without crashing!

I’ve had an idea of such issues on this pc before. Everything that I used on it still worked though; if anything it wasn’t a problem, until a delicate flower like ow2 came along that needed perfect conditions to function.

Perhaps that is an ‘issue’ with ow2, it isn’t as ‘hardy’ as ow1. However, if your situation is like mine, do not expect an update to fix this. Blizzard isn’t going to know what kind of holes your system has and make a patch around it. If your PC specs tell you ow2 should be able to run by a far margin, maybe this is the fix for you :slight_smile:
tldr; My windows systems was like a leaky faucet. Sure it still worked, but people like ow2 just couldn’t stand the dripping noise. Clean installation fixed everything.