[Main Thread] Overwatch 2 crashes after a couple of minutes

unsure what the issue is exactly, but i tried the suggestion above about creating a secondary windows user account and trying that, and it worked, so, has something to do with personally installed software or settings or something in the user/person/appdata likely.

so did u just create another windows user account? no reinstalling windows?

Hi all, I’ve finally managed to get ow2 to work. I’ve been playing ow2 for 10+ matches, and now it sits open while I write this. Hopefully this is my last post in these threads.

For context I had decent PC specs, Ryzen 3600 (6/12 cpu) and 1660 ti. I, like many of you, can open overwatch2 to play at 144 fps but it abruptly closes after 2-3 minutes. Ow1 and Ow2 beta did NOT have this problem.

The solution was to re-install a clean windows, only after checking that my windows system was somewhat imperfect.

1. Looking at the overwatch logs I got the error “is the leading path component: /…/.build.info” it is an error log that ow1 also has, it just meant that the game had some sort of conflict with the system.

2. I did all the other recommended things like update windows, reinstall drivers, use the command to limit threads etc etc. I was able to do all of that with no change. Creating a new user, worked for like 3 hours, but the issue came back again afterwards.

3. So, as an effort to see if my system was really at fault (not the game). I tried using the DISM command tool and Windows MediaCreationTool to scan, verify and fix my windows system files. At this point, both tools gave me ‘installation failed’. This meant that some system file probably had been missing/corrupted in the years I’ve used this pc, but windows update just installs patches on top of it and makes everything work (slaps roof of car she’s a survivor ain’t it)

4. So I used MediaCreationTool to perform a clean install of windows using the latest version (removing personal files, had to backup everything/ reinstall all my apps / re-set settings for various programs).

5. It was a leap of faith, but after all the hassle, I tried ow2 and it worked without crashing!

I’ve had an idea of such issues on this pc before. Everything that I used on it still worked though; if anything it wasn’t a problem, until a delicate flower like ow2 came along that needed perfect conditions to function.

Perhaps that is an ‘issue’ with ow2, it isn’t as ‘hardy’ as ow1. However, if your situation is like mine, do not expect an update to fix this. Blizzard isn’t going to know what kind of holes your system has and make a patch around it. If your PC specs tell you ow2 should be able to run by a far margin, maybe this is the fix for you :slight_smile:
tldr; My windows systems was like a leaky faucet. Sure it still worked, but people like ow2 just couldn’t stand the dripping noise. Clean installation fixed everything.

Creating new windows user account fixed it for me. The reason the game is crashing is the new anti cheat they implemented called Hyperion/Byfron, it’s known for causing issues for legit players. You can test it by opening fortnite which also uses byfron, the crashes are exactly the same.

4 Likes

Did the same. It worked for me. Creating a new Windows User seems to fix it temporarily. So it is probably related to something we have installed, but what it is I have no idea (not Razer, that much I know).

I have Corsair iCue software, that’s about the only thing I can think of that could be relevant to this.

Edit: Okay, it worked for a few hours. Then I quit the game to do something else, played again and boom, same crash without error. idk anymore dude

same story for me, maybe the next step is for you to check and verify your windows system files

ok so i think i’ve found a fix. ever since i’ve done this it worked with no problems and especially no crashing midgame which is really annoying yes. so first you must go to the overwatch2 game settings. where it says “additional command line arguments” enable that then paste this and click done
–tank_WorkerThreadCount 2 -thread 2 once you’ve done that it should work completely fine

It did not work for me still crashing. just to make sure is that the whole command ?

–tank_WorkerThreadCount 2 -thread 2

1 Like

not working for me too

I’m having the same problem you had. Mine is i5 10400 6/12cpu gtx1650. So the point is get a total re-install of the windows right?

yea, it can’t be your hardware limiting ow2, so should be a problem with windows

I did re install my whole windows and I still have the same problem guys !

my game freezes and i can close it only with task manager no error messages just freeze i have 1070ti everything updated

I have the SAME thing, exactly

yes thats the whole command you need to paste. this worked for me and a lot of others too

It’s very unlikely to be the “corrupt system files thing”, windows update isnt actually that incompetent.
Also, I freshly installed my os (windows 11) just 2 weeks ago.
Besides, since creating a new user account works for most (at least temporarily) that indicates it’s not actually any windows system component or any driver, program etc that’s not installed to your user folder specifically.

For me, creating a new user account worked so far, and since I just recently freshly installed windows 11 I did the exact same things on this user account too in an attempt to figure out whats wrong.
I applied the same settings, ran the same scripts, same tweaks, even same wallpaper and restarted, it kept working fine.
I removed any startup apps and closed anything thats not windows on my actual user account and it didn’t work.
I really don’t know anymore what might be the issue, all my drivers and software are up to date, theyre the same on either user account anyway, same windows settings, same ow settings,…
(game just closes after 2-3 mins, no freeze, no blackscreen)

Sure it may be unlikely, but the reality was there were small problems with my system. I used DISM to verify and scan the system files and the installer failed. Yes windows itself isn’t incompetent so it posed literally no problems for me until ow2.

We all know there is a problem with ow2 which is why there are so many people with crashing and issues, but we also know there’s a majority who have systems that ‘just work’ and runs ow2 just fine (ignoring other issues like queues etc). I found a way to have get ow2 running on mine and wanted to share.

Shame that it didn’t work out for you. We don’t have any info on why ow2 crashes or why a new user account works for awhile, but hopefully this gets solved soon by the devs.

2 Likes

def the issue, how would they go about fixing that?

1 Like

Man this is getting old, still crashing after like 60s to 2 minutes. Please fix.

1 Like