Game freezing with Intel i3 / Dual core CPUs

BLIZZARD HAS NOT ACKNOWLEDGED OUR ISSUES IN THE RECENT APOLOGY POST

Thank you, heroes. Let’s talk about our next steps for Overwatch 2! - News - Overwatch (blizzard.com)

7 Likes

Next step?
Delete game

3 Likes

Not going to get into a debate/discussion around it. But 6gb being min and 8gb recommended (these days i suggest to think of as free/ not base ram away from the OS and any apps)… I think 8gb is incorrect or there would be a ideal spec which would be maxed settings.

When it comes to needing more… well yes of course if your going to except peak performance you will need more… But at the end of the day, Windows has proven to be a pain for some and by being in this thread already indicates your not having the experience others are and there for throwing more resources than required at the game.

As for the extra free ram, that really comes down the OS and other apps.
– Windows clogs up… Its what it does (and kinda sucks on performance)

If anyone expects a smooth flawless experience with the min or recommended while trying to push the specs on a newly released buggy game that was modelled or built upon a 6 year old game… Good luck… Software sucks these days.

… To finish this up… Its the same debat PC gamers have been discussing for decades and well it wont change… Min/Recommended specs are best case scenario and likely a combination of software versions and proceses will not be best case

Last official message 6 days ago…

The company remains the same as always…
While others have more transparency, Blizzard leaves you in the dark and not even the temporary solution was given by her, but by a player.

I don’t intend to spend 1 cent more on a game that doesn’t seem to care about players.

This game should be from another company and not from Blizzard, so this kind of thing wouldn’t happen and it would have transparency with the player.

1 Like

You know they are working on it, right? Did you ever think about, that these issues can be hard to fix?

1 Like

my game is 60 fps but its not smooth

1 Like

nah i got it to work by forcing dual cores

but resub for the Premium BP on S2?

nope

This was an issue we reported during the first and second beta, it was “forwarded to the dev team” and it still hasn’t been acknowledged. Saying they’re working on it is a bold assumption.

6 Likes

Totally agree with this. just because some people can run it on a i5 4700 with 8gb there are alot of things people dont say, e.g how many displays? what rez, are they streaming or capturing at the same time whats the overclocks. or they laptop or desktop.
the amount of people who say i3 or i5 but dont even say laptop or desktop then i look and go OHHH laptop user. because thermal throttling along with various other things differ.

any way have a good day i have comp matches to play today.

1 Like

I’ve said it multiple times, they probably didn’t care about it in the betas. Well, now they do, and they told us, that they are working on a fix and that they will update us about it. Why is this so hard to understand?

Can we get any fix on this? I had no issues with OW1

Now I crash on loading route 66 at random and at some cases mid match in other maps. I got tons of penalty for comp mode because of this.

Pentium 2020M @ 2,4Ghz here

2 Likes

Why the hell my game keep craahing and others not i am going nuts

3 Likes

BTW, here is my dxdiag, none of this temporary solution worked well for me, still waiting for solutions

Pentiums are not on the specification requirements list. Unfortunately this means you’ll have to update to at least an Intel i3 whenever they do fix this issue. Though, I recommend saving a little extra for an i5.

It is a better processor than the given amd equivalent.
There is 0 reason not to be able to run especially when it works most of the time and with most of the maps.

They haven’t done any optimization on this game since the beta.

1 Like

dxdiag : ------------------System Information------------------ Time of this r - Pastebin.com

https://pastebin.com/UjmUhLkm

Got an update to the ticket today. “still under investigation”, “mostly getting reports from players using 2c/4t CPUs. So yes, this issue is not specific to i3 CPUs”, “I hope Overwatch Dev team will fix this bug in one of the upcoming updates.”

Meanwhile, still never crashed in four days with --tank_WorkerThreadCount 2, even after some testing with “epic” video settings and YouTube and Twitch playback going while I’m in practice range. Without that setting it freezes in a minute or so. I can’t say there’s any performance hit from using the command line option. I get 100+ fps in practice range (with low settings), occasionally hitting the 150 cap I’ve set.

1 Like

This worked for me, thank you!

1 Like

pentiums arent supported does’t mean u cant run it. just means blizzard support will give you no love.

buy a mid range to high end cpu with a minimum of 6 cores if you can find for your generation desktop motherboard. if not the best 4 core with the most about of cache.

pay no more than 50-80 dollars. slot straight in your board and regardless you need some thermal paste. this is the cheapest way.
inspect pins make sure none are bent or resoldered. if your doing it on the cheap bring a small container a electrostatic bag if you have it a old bubble wrap letter or something and wrap it up to take home and try. place that in a the hard container try pad with kitchen towel around a bag to take out the air space. pins are easily damaged you want to remove as much free movemment during transit but not to much pressure your deform pins. IF you have any old cartidge cases from a Nintendo they might fit.

and if any idiots insist on like >200 ish for a high end old used chip especially >250 for your current board. i would seriously consider a 11th gen i5 of 11400F or 11600 (about $140 with budget motherboards asus prime 120$ you wont be OC anyway) this is a 6 core processor.
if you have a stock or cheap 65W cooler on your current system. and buy a budget mid range mb & your ddr4 memory can slot in.

This will also move your future gpu to pcie4.0 if it was 3.0 or it might already be a pcie gen 4 already but sloted into a your old pcie gen 3.
you could by a old K but they are likly to have been OC.

also if your psu is older (10years) and around the 450-550w range the tdp have going up over the years and your cpu and na new gpu might not be up to running them.
NOTE ATX3.0 is a new standard for PSU the first major update in like a long long time. they should be entering the market soon and are there for upcoming next gen 40series and amd GPUs. (I am waiting for this and a 40 series or quardro for my own system)

IF you have alittle more
12th gen I think most boards CHECK can run hybrid memory that means can take (your) ddr4 or ddr5 BUT YOU WILL NEED A NEW COOLER. socket 1700 but give you a upgrade path for later though personally i find memory upgrades over marginal gains of a previous generation if its 2 generation jump then K. BUT ddr5 is over priced right now cos its so new.

and with all this newness they be whole ddr4 systems being broken up or sold cheap used hopefuly
so a who system 2nd hand might fall in you for a cheap price. I GET RID OF THERE DRIVES. also check TPU on motherboard generation for win 11 compatability if its a 9-11th gen.

sorry for the lenghty post but its really aimed at the $300 dollar buyer who wants to either buy a i9 K or I7K used at a stupid price or weigh up a new i5 with new mb but keeping DDR4.
If your ddr3 mem your options are going to be limited see if you can score 6th gen 6700 in a motherboard used 4 core 4 thread

CHECK WHO MAKE YOUR MEMORY AND PART NO see its compatible with new boards of there motherboard website.

Last I looked ryzen cheapest budget featureing a igpu (because i was so glad when my gpu packed up a couple of years a go and saw the crazy gpu prices that I swore i never buy a cpu again with out a igpu just to get by with for the sake of 20 dollar diffrence.

so glad i didnt have a ryzen back then.