Game freezing with Intel i3 / Dual core CPUs

To me, since I turned the dynamic render scale off in the game options and I added the “-threads 2” line in the launcher, I’ve been able to play several games in a row without the freezing. I haven’t really counted how many games in a row, but let’s say 5-6 at most. I’ve been able to complete daily challenges and several weekly challenges. But it eventually freezes in the middle of a match. Never in the menus; I can stay forever in menus without a problem. I’ve been playing like this for 2 days.

Don’t know which of the 2 options did the trick, though. And I don’t really want to touch anything again since at least I can play some matches normally.

Ah, also I play on borderless windowed so when it freezes I can close the game more easily than in fullscreen mode.

I have a Pentium G4600 (7th gen). My GPU is a Radeon RX 560, although we already know that it isn’t a GPU problem. 8 GB of RAM and on a SSD.

2 Likes

Thank you, finally somebody that actually understands it.

1 Like

at the same time as us having to wait, we do need to make sure blizzard don’t just forget about it, I can imagine during the betas when this happened blizzard did the same thing about saying they would fix it, but still they didn’t

how would it be then? –tank_WorkerThreadCount4 or –tank_WorkerThreadCount 4 ?

I Don’t think they realised the problem in the betas, but I could be wrong…

So far the official blue text from support only touched on the freezing issue, narrowed it down to a speculated i3 problem and also changed the title of this thread to that specific problem.

Like many have said the ‘force closing after a few min’ issue was not openly acknowledged.

For the crashing / force closing issue, again please reply to this post to help and for more focused attention. This popular thread has too much complaining, re-clarification, questioning, chaos and uproar.

exactly the same as me :c

they didn’t even respond on the beta :skull:

2 Likes

–tank_WorkerThreadCount 4
there is 2x “-”

This thread originally, is about the game freezing and NOT crashing. So I think they have every right not to acknowledge the crashing in this thread.

1 Like

idk, but i had this issue even in the betas

I had it too, you are not alone.

yeah i know, i hope they’ll fix it soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

same problem but i dont have a dual core what should i do?

Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.9GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8144MB RAM
Page File: 6860MB used, 6148MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device (POST)

same issue here dont even have an i3 or a dual core processor

Both freezing and crashing are the same

There are certain posts out there for other processors, Blizzard staff specified this one is for 2 cores.

Does your overwatch force closes by itself suddenly? Head over to the other thread, give your specs and hope tech support sees

I must say that by using this command I was able to re-enable hyperthreading (thus getting to 100+ fps instead of sub 30) and playing 3 games in a row. Crashed at the fourth. The command I used is:

-tank_WorkerThreadCount 2