[Main Thread] Applying Update

I ran into this issue myself. I like this game a lot, but this BS has me considering quitting the game for the first time in years. There are other options out there… Do what you will, or won’t for that matter Blizz, but I highly doubt I’m the only one feeling this way. We pay you; it’s your job to fix it if you want to keep your customers, even if it’s hard.

How infuriating is it to continually support a game and developer, buy all their battlepasses, but they will not revert game bans caused by their own incompetency’s? People have been banned for the entire season because of this. How is one to finish their battlepass without playing competitive? I personally have not played quick play since 2018 and can’t play more than a couple arcade games without feeling like I’m wasting time.

At this point I’m too afraid to play this game until I check out the forums and don’t see dozens of “applying update error” threads on the front page.

This is extremely unacceptable as a paying customer and the response is a slap in the face to all of us who got a ban. It sounds like Blizzard needs to work on a system that will know to determine if a leaver left on their own term or because Blizzards game doesn’t let them in.

Completely unacceptable response to a literal game breaking bug caused by their own update.

7 Likes

I replied to my ticket asking if they have any plans to announce this as a known issue, or if they could let us know when they officially have it fixed so it’s safe to play competitive, and got a copy-paste response that doesn’t seem to acknowledge any of my follow-up questions. Copy-paste response doubles down on their plans to not overturn any leaver penalties or loss of rank, and says that there IS a hotfix update our clients are supposedly patching when we get the “Apply Update” bug. (Emphasis mine)

Greetings,

I understand that Overwatch is having an issue with applying updates which is causing issues while trying to play matches. I understand how frustrating it can be when the game servers have been hotfixed, but your game client hasn’t been patched yet. Our team is currently investigating this problem, and we have received reports of it. In the meantime, please try these steps to see if they help:

Join the practice range to pick up the update.
Close and restart Overwatch.
Confirm the issue is resolved by joining an unranked game.

Please know that Customer Support is unable to remove any penalties or revert any loss of rank. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused, and we appreciate your patience while our developers work to resolve it.

1 Like

Holy hell, their IT eats glue.

Sad that the team’s reply isn’t “Provide further evidence next time it happens and we’ll appeal it” “Recordings will go a long way in helping us resolve this issue”. Something to put more faith on the player’s honesty and giving you the ability to appeal an unjust penalty.

Additionally, who pushes updates during peak hours…? Do it at 3am-5am like every normal competitive game. They just kick the can down like “not our fault”…

2 Likes

This is the same for me - it’s always the very first comp match of the day, then I’m able to play after the penalty is served.

Thanks for the video, I have never even heard of this mechanic even existing in the game before. I looked up that message and I could only find a few sources for it, but none of them were from after the launch of Overwatch 2. However, the fact that it was actually possible to remove rank penalties due to cheaters should be massive news and we should absolutely petition the Devs to reintroduce it into the game for disconnects caused by game bugs as well. There are several large threads about the Applying Update error listed in my megathread under: Competitive Match Disconnection And Ban, so if someone could link those to a Dev on Twitter, it might be possible to have them address this potential solution. The more people who do the better our chances will be.

Dawg this is literally so annoying, I immediately queue comp and am hit with a leaver penalty, and 2 losses before even getting in a match. It didn’t affect any of my teammate’s MR because the match closed before it started, why can’t we get compensated?

1 Like

Bro, they didn’t admit to doing that before OW2. It seems like something they do for only “special” people.

1 Like

I literally came here to post about this issue and found this thread. And while doing so a post was made about four minutes ago about the same thing. Not only was I hit with a ban last week during the DDoS attack, I now get the applying update leaver penalty today with a one hour ban after coming home from work. Blizzard literally sucks for this and they’re punishing consumers for their coding and servers. Overwatch 2 is becoming more and more of a disaster and I’m about done with it. Eventually we’re going to all get banned for the entire season due to Blizzard’s lack of customer support. This company has really gone downhill.

1 Like

This is also happening in quickplay ,sorry to hear you guys got shafted in comp for this.

I just queued for competitive, and it said “Applying update” and got stuck on that screen for about 10 minutes. Since it wasn’t working at that point, I restarted the game. Now I’m suspended from competitive play. I understand that if a technical issue is on my end, I will have to face the penalty. But it’s not fair for me to have to pay a penalty when the technical issue is your fault. What do you plan to do to remedy this situation? Will you remove the penalty/strike from my account?

4 Likes

Yea I just got today twice hit with this problem: got 15 min and now 60 min comp ban, nice. Can’t even play comp just in case I don’t get banned.

Same here brother, game is so busted why do I still play

Same, twice, once last night and once today. Banned for an hour now, not to mention the loss stacking and leaver mark

Just got this as well a few minutes ago. Comp match found with the center of my screen saying “Applying update” and didn’t put me in my match. Now I am suspended for an hour.

Good stuff blizz

Same here yesterday 15 minute ban and today 1 hour seems no one on Blizzard care about that :confused:

Same here just now - 15 minute ban.

And when I did manage to join a comp game 15 minutes later neither DPS assigned to my team picked a hero and the game was eventually cancelled when they were timed out - I suspect both experienced the same issue.

Please avoid competitive to save your MMR and SR from getting ruined while this issue has been up since update. The ticket I sent to Blizz CS was just copy pasted regarding this issue so my hopes aren’t up.

2 Likes

Came back after a season off to have this issue arise twice. pretty lame :frowning:

overwatch 2 is a joke. dev team is even a bigger one. This game has no hope.