[Main Thread] Applying Update

Happened to me twice, may 5th and may 6th. Decided to play with a friend. He signs us for comp. I get stuck in “applying update” and penalty. Thought this bug was 1-2 days old but seeing replies from 9 days ago. what the h*ll blizzard.

Blizzard-Activision doesn’t care about you and they only want your money. The people working on this game will permaban anyone without remorse and fail to take responsibility for thousands of affected account’s money, time, and energy. It’s a sad fact but one that more people need to realize as Overwatch 2 continues on.

It’s been there since launch but the last patch made it very prevalent.

As soon as I find a match in competitive after first launching the game a text as soon I find a game says “applying update” this stays there for about 10 mins not putting me in the match. When I restart the game it suspends me for 10 minutes the second time it suspended me for an hour.

Still not fixed, still getting leaver penalty and SR loss.
Sometimes i wonder why do we still give you money for this abomination of tech dif game…

1 Like

Same thing just happened to me. This is utter horse feces.

I’m a game dev, 15+ years in the industry including live/GAAS games.

WHY CAN I EVEN GET PAST THE LOGIN SCREEN WITHOUT APPLYING THE LATEST UPDATES???

1 Like

Regarding the issue that the team mentioned here

about this point

“NEW - We are investigating an issue where Tuesday’s Hot Fix update is not properly applying for some players. At this time we do not have an ETA on resolving the issue.”

This happened to me everytime (and I mean every single time) there is a hotfix, small sudden patch, new season, new shop item or any event. Devs already know the problem “…Hot Fix update is not properly APPLYING for some players …”, it is missing and somehow didn’t get downloaded even though I did all recommended steps like Scan and repair, check for update, reinstalling the game, deleting blizzard entertainment folder, etc never worked for me. BUT there is two, (possible solution and what works for me)

1. this guy named Berethor managed to redownload the missing hotfix file by deleting recent hotfix folder https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/error-applying-update/805867 (didn’t work for me)
  2. by copying the hotfix file from my friend who got his OW2 working. Not all of us play with a friend / not always available (kinda weird to ask a favor pls send me your hotfix every new patch while maybe they don’t play OW2 that moment.)

(if you can’t find it type in Windows Search %localappdata%)
AppData\Local\Blizzard Entertainment\Overwatch\
then find the recent modified folder

111774 per 2nd May '23. Hotfix Folder inside, there should be at least 1 (num & letter) file.
In S4 Day 1 (111387) file it is b6c17bf9… and so on (cross checking measures)

The solution I suggest, create a specific link/post in the battle.net launcher or section in Patch Note page for the latest Hotfix file for anyone to download. I’m asking this because how can I open community forum post specifically sharing hotfix file for OW2 while having this problem everytime.

yes I can ask my friend everytime patch come out. But its a hassle to do when a season is packed with balance patch and the devs know this has is common occurences for a while for a number of people.

On that note,if the people that follow Berethor or my solution but still get the “Applying update” problems, I guess you or someone else has to figured it out for you. Thank you.

Can you send me the file? Lol

want some sketchy bit.ly links? I doubt people will believe though, lol, blizzard should just share it every patch…

Edit: wait, I don’t know if I ever use Mega

I loaded into the overwatch game client like normal, and qued for ranked. After 30 sec to 1 min, a game was found. At the exact timing of that a message launched stating “applying update”. I waited about 5 min for this to expire, before closing the game. Upon re entry to the game I was banned. I didnt choose the timing of applying this update OW client did and as a result a ban.

Im not upset because im not impatient. But I could see this affecting others pretty negatively.

Got stuck on applying update screen and I got suspended for 15 minutes, and loss on my card + abandoned match on my history. Is there any fix coming for this problem ?

It stills happens… they dont care…

Since season 4 update can’t get into games, even training range, when I try to then game says “Applying update” then after a while “Error applying update” with “unknown error 0”.

Didn’t see any complaints here on forum like that after season 4 update, so descided to make a post myself

I tried reinstalling game, client, flush dns and my hosts file looks untoched. Drivers seem up to date. And I tried some things that others did when they had similar situation during season 2.

Would love to know if the issue is on my end and I can fix this and how. Or its systematic and there will be an update, hopefully soon, that would resolve that.

Thank you

Edit: I found out that the game works on other windows User on same PC, any ideas on how to make it on my User profile?

Edit 2: Solved. The problem was: some file was probably corrupted. I found a folder in User AppData\Local\Blizzard Entertainment\Overwatch there are many folders with numberes. I removed the 1 that was added last and the game probably redownloaded it. so all works fine now

didn’t worked for me, gotta go the old ways, copying the hotfix from a friend…

Hello,

I know this may be a odd claim since everyones getting abandoment marks on their adjustments. However, ive noticed that after I adjust my rank gets this artifical inflation.

Examples of this :
Diamond 3 - Won 5 / Lost 6 [2 abandon marks] this adjusted to Diamond 1

Diamond 1 - Won 5 / Lost 2 [0 abandonment marks] i was adjusted back to Diamond 3

Next after a few games I went back to diamond 1 but my games in diamond 1 were 5 Won / 6 Lost [2 abandonment marks] and it adjusted to masters 4?

So like the consistency seems to not be there the inflation to diamond 1 from the inital 2 marks was really odd, but after 3 adjustments diamond 1 with all my losses AND abandonment marks went to masters 4?

The Applying update glitch has gotten me a 20 hour suspension now for something that i cant control. its insane how this hasn’t been fixed yet. Please fix this it seriously makes me consider stop playing the game all together and it has ruined many days for me.

1 Like

I rarely leave a match, I tried to play 4 days ago and when queing for match it would freeze on aapplying update screen to where I had to close the game. Leaver penalty 15mins. Ok I dont want to play anymore so I logged off. Fast forward to today, same exact thing happens and now its 59mins. WTF is going on, Im getting leaver banned for NO REASON.

Edit: there was no “rejoin match option” either so Im just stuck being banned. Sooo frustrating.

1 Like

Tried to go into practice matches before or even customs online to make sure I could get past and then i go into competitive and it still happens. Now i can’t play for the WHOLE SEASON because of an issue with their servers? How is this a thing? why am I punished for wanting to play?

Regarding the issue that the team mentioned here

about this point

“NEW - We are investigating an issue where Tuesday’s Hot Fix update is not properly applying for some players. At this time we do not have an ETA on resolving the issue.”

This happened to me everytime (and I mean every single time) there is a hotfix, small sudden patch, new season, new shop item or any event. Devs already know the problem “…Hot Fix update is not properly APPLYING for some players …”, it is missing and somehow didn’t get downloaded even though I did all recommended steps like Scan and repair, check for update, reinstalling the game, deleting blizzard entertainment folder, etc never worked for me. BUT there is two, (possible solution and what works for me)

1. this guy named Berethor managed to redownload the missing hotfix file by deleting recent hotfix folder https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/error-applying-update/805867 (didn’t work for me)
  2. by copying the hotfix file from my friend who got his OW2 working. Not all of us play with a friend / not always available (kinda weird to ask a favor pls send me your hotfix every new patch while maybe they don’t play OW2 that moment.)

(if you can’t find it type in Windows Search %localappdata%)
AppData\Local\Blizzard Entertainment\Overwatch\
then find the recent modified folder

111774 per 2nd May '23. Hotfix Folder inside, there should be at least 1 (num & letter) file.
In S4 Day 1 (111387) file it is b6c17bf9… and so on (cross checking measures)

The solution I suggest, create a specific link/post in the battle.net launcher or section in Patch Note page for the latest Hotfix file for anyone to download. I’m asking this because how can I open community forum post specifically sharing hotfix file for OW2 while having this problem everytime.

yes I can ask my friend everytime patch come out. But its a hassle to do when a season is packed with balance patch and the devs know this has is common occurences for a while for a number of people.

On that note,if the people that follow Berethor or my solution but still get the “Applying update” problems, I guess you or someone else has to figured it out for you. Thank you.

fix game, or remove my suspension? Why is this happening for a week now.

I never leave games early and this is BS

I get that Sht happens but wtf . I never leave game early and 3x over the last week it hit me with a ban so its 8hrs now. Guess Im not playing OW2, through NO fault of my own. You really should reverse this, because its on your end and not mine.