Lucio ultimate is terrible at this point

He should be immune while casting it

1 Like

Increasing the ramp up time for the ult and it should help nullify the Grav/Dragon or Tire combo better than it does now.

It’s still really impactful. It defends well against incoming burst damage and straight-up makes people immune to death from many would-be one-shot sources in the time right after it’s activated. It does what it’s supposed to do.

I see a lot of people compare it directly to Trans, but they have different purposes. Trans defends against sustained damage. Sound barrier defends against burst. Sound barrier will not save you from dragon/grav, but it’s not supposed to. That’s a sustained damage ult combo. On the other hand, Trans won’t save you from D.Va bomb, sniper headshots, or Junk tire.

Sound barrier requires a bit more skill as to knowing when to activate it, though. It can be used proactively or reactively. I mostly use to to engage.

In that video clip, you used your ult while in a grav with an incoming tire. Trans wouldn’t have saved the team either. Don’t use it to defend against grav unless there are no other incoming ults.

I think it’s “suboptimal”

1 Like

A) Not anecdotal. I gave evidence of every burst damage ult, and they all beat out Sound Barrier. The only anectodal evidence was a clip of Sound Barrier in action, used against high burst damage as it’s supposed to be, and not working anyway. B) You literally said it’s desgined to deal with burst damage, except it really doesn’t work well against it.

Woo. One ult, if that. Assuming Genji doesn’t hit multiple people with his blade, which odds are he will, he’ll be able to kill two people through the barrier. 170 damage Dragonblade + Dash with 83 decay in the first second and another 200 damage in the next second means the barrier is gone, allowing him to easily kill the 200 HP target in a couple more swings, at which point everyone elses barrier is almost gone from decay (removed with Dash + Dragonblade) and they’re also dead in the next second. Two people dead, all assuming that Genji is the only person doing damage to the team and only hits one person per swing.

On paper Lucio’s ult is incredibly strong. In practice it isn’t. Also, I didn’t use Sound Barrier in response to the rip Tire, I used it in response to the Graviton Surge, knowing that there would be some sort of follow up and it was all I could do. It was used as it is supposed to be used.

This is incredibly stupid. This is how we got Valk Mercy, this is why Doomfist got gutted for half a year, this is why Sombra got a kneejerk nerf that left her in the gutter covered in bugs since her buf. You don’t balance an ability soley on how it feels to play against. If the job is done correctly, whoever uses it will be having a blast and those fighting against it are going to hate fighting it, but be able to anyway. Huge Rez is a great example of this; it sucks to have the enemy rezed, but you’re happy if it happens to you and gives you that second chance. No one likes losing a game.

I mean, it isn’t. It doesn’t reliably defend against any burst damage ultimates. Sure it’ll stop a headshot from Widowmaker, but so will Rein’s shield. Yeah it’ll save someone from Junkrat’s combos, but he gets those every 7 seconds. Doomfist’s combos? Every 4 to 7 seconds. It doesn’t defend against burst damage, against ultimates. It’s a second-long buffer that won’t change the outcome of a fight, just delay it. I’ve given multiple examples of how Lucio’s ult sucks in relation to burst damage. Where’s your proof it works?

4 Likes

When the game was first released, I think his ultimate was great. But so many heroes have gotten boosts in damage, had their ultimates boosted, heroes buffed, etc. that I think it’s just been powercrept.

A temporary boost in shields is just…not as impactful anymore. Especially when burst healing is a thing. I feel like the shields should either decay or the boost of shields should just be higher and the decay stays the same, that way it serves its purpose better.

2 Likes

Not going to address everything you mentioned because I don’t care that much but just try to be objective. I see you’re a lucio main and it probably doesn’t feel great being outshined by mercy and zen in this meta. I get that. But lucios ult has never been a problem. It’s great at what it does which is offset a good amount of damage during a team fight. You’re not going to be able to use it to counter every ult in the game but it’s a good 1 for 1 defensive ult.

Lucio hasn’t been changed since he was the most prominent support in the game. Buffing him because the meta doesn’t favor him or because you just want your main to be better is exactly how a power creep starts.

The only questionable thing about the ult is why it takes so long to build.

1 Like

damage against a barrier does not generate any ult charge.

It’s been a problem for months. It doesn’t offset a good amount of damage, it just delays the inevitable for a second or two.

That has nothing to do with this. I’ve given you the numbers, the scenarios, all without bringing up my playstyle as Lucio once. My second most played is also the hero that counters Lucio the hardest.

It isn’t. I’ve stated why it isn’t twice now. On top of that, why do Defensive ults need to be 1 for 1?. There’s only 2 defensive ults in the game, and there’s 19 that do damage. 1 for 1 doesn’t cut it.

You’re out of the loop. Since his rework last year, every blanket change has been an indirect nerf to Lucio. Moira and Brigitte counter and are better than Lucio in almost every way. Sombra shuts him down so hard, and he becomes the only healer who can’t heal when Hacked. All he’s gotten in return is some QOL changes that should have been part of the game to begin with.

None of this is based off of my feelings. This is all objective fact. The game has moved on, and Lucio hasn’t.

1 Like

Damage against sound barrier generates ult charge, because it’s coded as a form of shield health like Sym and Zarya have.

there’s a difference between barrier shields and actual shields.

You have to use it right. Hear a High Noon / Dva Bomb? Time it right and you can save your whole team. Something Trans and Rally can not do. Mei Ult? Just sound barrier, it will keep most everyone alive unless the enemy team focuses one target while they are frozen. Need to push in to kill an annoying bastion? Sound Barrier and rush in and kill him.

Yes, but it’s either a bug or an oversight where shooting Sound Barrier generates ult charge as if it were health. I’m fairly sure Doomfist’s barrier, which opperates under similar mechanics as Lucio’s, has the same issue. IT is possible they patched this without telling anyone.

1 Like

i’m pretty sure it’s intended. why would decaying shields generate ult charge?

No, you really can’t. Yes, Sound Barrier will give your team a little more time to run from a High Noon, but given how fast it decays it’s only a second or so longer. D.Va bomb does 1000 damage, Sound Barrier creates 500 barrier. So unless you were at the edge of the bomb’s radius anyway, it isn’t going to help.

Sound Barrier can help against a Mei ult, but not against the follow up.

Pushing to kill Bastion? Don’t make me laugh. Bastion does 512 DPS. He’s going to shred that barrier like tissue paper. Even if it does work, what happens when he sets up again after respawning.

1 Like

Everything this says is that Barrier HP is treated like normal HP. Brigitte’s Armor also gives ult charge.

I find that Lucio’s Ult is good for quick pushes on enemy lines most useful when surging the choke point or trying to take back the cart.

I do think that they could increase the speed at which he can cast it but that’s moot. Anyway its not really meant to be like Mercy’s or Moira’s.

Moira’s Ult is more useful for sinking the shield at the choke if you want to play it safe.

I want sound barrier to stay longer before it decays.

the ult takes so long because people jump before they use it and that makes it take longer if you use the ult to get ontop of something like a payload its almost instant