Low fps on good laptop

Hi! I purchased my current laptop specifically for gaming. I checked the specs, compared them, saw the system requirements, all that. I’ve played Overwatch on it for the past year, but as of lately (that meaning the last month or so, with occasional issues in the past as well) I’ve been experiencing major fps drops as well as stuttering that messes up my aim and overall gameplay.

This has happened before and usually checking for Windows updates and updating it solves the problem, but not anymore. Sometimes when I open the game, I manage to have 200+ fps which is great, but it doesn’t last for long and soon enough I barely hit 150, with drops below 100.

I know 150 fps is really good, especially for a laptop, but the gameplay feels laggy and the it stutters so bad, it messes up my performance in matches and I can’t hit shots consistently. I’ve tried everything, from every forum I could find, even removing my drivers with DDU; the only thing that seemed to temporarily solve it was reinstalling my Windows. I did that sometime in April and now the issues are back.

I considered a network issue as well, since I am using a wireless connection and I’m not currently able to set up a wired one. Troubleshot there as well, still no go. I check the Netgraph daily but oddly enough, there are no white or orange bars which is as confusing as ever. I will insert my laptop specs below.

Laptop: Asus X580VD
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU 2.80GHz (8 CPUs)
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Display: Intel HD Graphics 630, 60Hz
Render: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (Approx. Total Memory 8 GB, Display Memory 4 GB)

I have every setting on Low, including rendering scale on 75%; I set Overwatch on High Priority in the Task Manager every time I play the game, the only program running in the background is Spotify (I’ve tried closing it to boost performance, doesn’t help) and I close Razer Synapse as well. I also updated my drivers, checked the NVIDIA Control Panel and changed it for best performance and my Power Management is on High Performance.

I have limited knowledge of anything technology related, so I hope this isn’t a stupid question, but a problem I can solve. I appreciate any answer and thank you for your time :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

hey id03ǃ,

Can you provide a DxDiag?

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type DxDiag and press Enter.
  3. In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
    4)Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
  4. Paste the DXdiag into the post, select and highlight everything you just pasted, and hit the “code” button (</>). That’ll make the information much more readable.
It should look like this.

If you have issues pasting here, please use Pastebin and post the link (ex: Pastebin (dot) com/123456).

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: [Maru] OW freezes

Thank you for the quick reply! I had to use Pastebin due to having too many characters. Here it is: pastebin.com/4Kruj3SW

It looks like the Nvidia driver is out of date. Let’s do a clean uninstall using the third party driver remover DDU. You can find a guide on using this program here.

After this, pick up the latest driver from here.

Run the installer and select the Nvidia Driver option only. Then I would recommend doing a Custom install and selecting the ‘Perform a clean installation’.

Once the driver install has finished, change the Nvidia settings so that the game is using the Nvidia card:
• Right click on the desktop and launch NVIDIA Control Panel → Manage 3D settings.
• Go to Program Settings tab.
• Select the game to change the graphics processor under “Select a program to customize”. If it’s not is not available, select the specific game from the drop down list.
• Select your “Prefer maximum performance” graphics card under “Power management”.

Then reset the game settings to set everything back to default.

1 Like

I did everything you suggested and when I decided to try Overwatch again after reinstalling the drivers, I went into a custom game and I was barely above 100 frames. After 10 or so minutes it started dropping under 80 and stuttering worse than before. Is there anything else I could try? Thank you again for the response.

It looks like you are using a 60hz monitor. Have you tried enabling Vsync or setting the in-game FPS cap to 60 to help stabilize the FPS? Since you are on a laptop, I’d suggest keeping the laptop plugged into an outlet and setting Windows to High Performance.