Loverwatch is pretty good

What!? A Zeruel post not dripping with biting criticism of insert comic/book/short story/cinematic here?

Yeah, that’s right. Sometimes, when we get good story content I complement the writing and development team. And even though I do have some minor critiques of Loverwatch (and even that is largely that it goes a little to hard on being meta, which is in itself the joke so it’s not that big a problem), I’m also of the opinion it’s one of the better bits of written media we’ve had in a while, even if it is totally non-canon.

But more importantly, I’m very happy that even if it is non-canon, there are a lot of hints in here that point to the fact that the things I’ve wanted explored for a while are actually on the cards. Mercy struggling with her sense of duty. Genji actually acting like a jerk during his time in Overwatch being recognized. Hanzo being generally bitter about his brother. All things that have been on the cards for a long time, but never actually explored at all, or otherwise mostly passed over.

After a run of (in my opinion) fairly dire stories and cinematics, it’s a breath of fresh air to get something that’s just unabashedly fun. It’s not a chore to play, the story is nice and includes some good little moments for the characters. It’s everything a short story should be.

So even though it’s just a memey little non-canon microgame, good job, writing team! Proud of you. Keep up the good work.

6 Likes

Thanks!

4 Likes

The little anecdotes of Loverwatch that in my opinion make the work of the writers really fantastic with the impressions of the forum community and on social networks:

• I need healing by genji, of course (:rofl:)
  • Quote about Mercy pink;
    -Zenyatta who claims to have had too much screen time in his lore of him and who anticipates that “Maybe ramattra will help him tell about himself”. brilliant, I would say.
  • Cupid’s little bickering about his similarity to Hanzo;
  • Mercy’s awful coffee, great that they revived an old theory based on a voiceline from Storm Rising.
  • Cite the Venice incident and Mercy’s sensations from the short story;
  • breaking the fourth wall continuously;
    -Overwatch food quotes and recipes (Genji says he loves triceratops… exactly the answer in a voiceline with lucio when he asks which animal he prefers);
  • Winston’s (horrible) jokes;
  • Quote about how Hanamura is not playable like he used to be (lol);
  • the continuous citations on how much the lore is still underdeveloped on the Null Sector;

this quotation that always breaks the fourth wall is funny. I really hope next year Loverwatch will come back with more selectable characters. By the way, for those who are curious to read the dialogues (also in english, not only italian):