Lost SR from "server closed due to unexpected error"

Greetings!

I hope this is an appropriate place to address my issue. Last night, I played a competitive overwatch match on King’s Row, where the match got canceled mid-match for no apparent reason. When I was returned to the main menu, I got an error message “server closed due to unexpected error”.

The issue is, I lost around 50 SR from that match.

Is there anything I can do to recover that lost SR? I have a screenshot of the match in my replays list where it says “incomplete”, let me know if I should post that.

I figure it doesn’t make much sense for anyone to lose SR in a canceled match, so I hope this request is reasonable. I hope that the SR loss can be reversed for the other players of that match as well.

1 Like

Sadly, no, they do not refund or adjust SR. You can find more on this policy pinned at the top of this forum:

Well, perhaps I’m misunderstanding this, but why would a leaver penalty apply to me here? I didn’t leave the match. The server got shut down on blizzard’s side of things.

My understanding is that the leaver penalty has to apply in any situation where a player disconnected from a match before it completes, even if the player claims it wasn’t their fault, because Blizzard can’t really determine whose fault it was.

But in my case, we know this wasn’t mine nor any other users’ fault, but Blizzard’s. In fact I can see Blizzard’s servers are aware that the match got canceled, since I can see “incomplete” in my replay list. Why should all 12 players suffer an SR penalty in this situation? It seems like this situation shouldn’t fall under the leaver penalty rules you referred me to.

I hope I’m not coming off as difficult or anything, and that you see the difference that I’m getting at here. I don’t think us 12 players should be considered leavers if the Blizzard match got cancelled by Blizzard.

1 Like

They do cover this specifically in that thread:

What if it was the server’s fault?

Often we hear mentions of one off issues when we discuss penalties. “What happens if the servers crash or if Blizzard’s ISP has a problem?” or something of that nature. This does happen from time to time, but it’s pretty rare. The system is built to take that sort of thing into account, and periodic issues like this shouldn’t tank your skill rating too much. This is why the first few penalties are lenient compared to later ones. Over time even the Skill Rating drops will even out as you keep playing normal matches. As long as you aren’t intentionally leaving or having tech issues, this shouldn’t affect your account too much.

While I also agree that there should be a better way, I don’t work at Blizzard, so I can’t make any direct adjustments to how they apply their system. I do think your feedback is valuable and presented nicely, but they’d want you to post this in #competitive-discussion.