Lost connection to server

i lost connection, joined back and then went on to win the game at the end i found out that i lost 50sr and gained nothing. is there some sort of logical explanation for this

1 Like

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. If you take more than two minutes to return to a match after disconnecting, you can still be penalized. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, ā€œLost Connection to the Serverā€ in the title screen or the message ā€œFailed to Connect to Serverā€ in yellow text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that donā€™t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

As always if nothing in that guide works, please reply saying you completed these steps and additional advice can be provided. Good luck!

Iā€™ve done everything in both of the connection issue guides. No other services are interrupted, nothing strange is going on with my connection. Aside from that, numerous people report having this issue and the bigger problem is that the handling of it on Blizzards side is absolutely deplorable.

I can confirm with 100% certainty that rejoining within 2 minutes still results in penalty. It is not ā€œappropriateā€ to kick a player out to the login screen suddenly without attempting a reconnect, fill their spot in the match and prevent them from rejoining, and then penalize them as though they did something wrong.

If you legitimately canā€™t tell when someone is dropping intentionally, the correct solution is NOT to penalize for it. Youā€™re punishing legitimate players and making them not want to play the game and Iā€™m not honestly sure what you gain. Some idiot troll who decides to unplug his network adapter to get around the penalty is thwarted?

At the very LEAST add a timer (2 minutes sounds wonderful, thanks for the suggestion) to reconnect and donā€™t penalize if a player then rejoins their previous game. Especially if they spend the entire match watching their friends because their spot was given away. If not competitive, then casual surely. Ideally, try to rejoin the game they were in instead of booting them all the way to the login screen.

The time Iā€™ll be gone would be significantly less if you didnā€™t kick me to the login screen, by the way. Even with that, itā€™s about 10-15 seconds to rejoin my friend. Put me straight back into the match I was just in? Instant. Put me in the main menu and rejoin me into the same match when I click Play? Couple of Seconds. ASK ā€œdid you intend to leave this match?ā€ If yes, take a penalty (yeahā€¦ people do this on purpose despite it).

To be honest, the penalty is meaningless to me, though it apparently matters to a lot of people. What matters is that I spend the last 10-20 minutes in a match and get unceremoniously dropped with 30 seconds left despite experiencing no connection issues whatsoever, or having to sit and watch my friends play because my spot was given away to a random.

This isnā€™t just a once in a while disconnect. This is multiple times a night, sometimes many times an hour, other days not at all. Not players who are new to gaming, we know other games donā€™t have this problem. This is bad handling, pure and simple.

2 Likes

this is a problem i dont experience with other games. if the system can recognize that it is a failure to connect it should not be counted as an offense. after following all of the steps to troubleshoot this problem is recurring. the cheat detection program is the real problem here.

1 Like

Also noticing a LOT of people dropping in and out during high traffic times. Gave up today, switched to TF2. They reliable AF (at least for connection) :stuck_out_tongue:

hey i was playing overwatch competitive match and then my internet lost connection and i got banned for competitive this was not my first time please i want to play competitive i want golden guns

Something similar happened to me the other day. I was watching a highlight when I got matched into a match, but I couldnā€™t join the lobby and the rejoin match button was bugged, so i got kicked because of inactivity and was left unable to rejoin because of the button being bugged. My internet was fine, nothing wrong with it at the time

1 Like

and i cant come to ptr he said game server connection lost

Every single time Iā€™ve gotten dropped from the game I have been able to get back to the Main Menu of Overwatch in at least 30 seconds and not once have I even seen the Rejoin button after re-launching Overwatch.

Sometimes the Rejoin button shows up immediately after I get disconnected but it never actually responds to me clicking it.

@GuiltyKing - Iā€™ve definitely experienced that bug in the past too.

This game seems all too willing to punish all disconnections extremely harshly in Comp matches. Weighting all punishments toward people who rage quit matches or have extremely poor internet connections isnā€™t very fun for people who simply suffer from the game randomly crashing or dropping connection momentarily, and are able to legitimately reopen and reconnect to the server very quickly, and want to rejoin their match.

1 Like

WOW. A whole 27 days since this has happened to me and lo, it hath returned. Hey Blizzard fam jam, would LOVE if you could do something for us and follow some of the suggestions in this thread.

1 Like

Ah, the game breaking bug Blizzard never fixes strikes again. Twice today dumped out of a game for no reason and with no rejoin ability. Fix please! Make happy fans.