Lost connection to game server, instant suspension

Queued into a competitive game.
We got Busan.
Picked a hero, then suddenly everyone started walking still 10 seconds before the doors would have opened.
Then got a “lost connection to game server” message, got threw back to the login screen (had to type username+pass).
On the main menu, I clicked “rejoin match”, then after a brief black screen that looked like loading it just threw me back into mode select and gave me -50 sr and a 10 minute suspension.
The exact same thing happened to my friend too. Internet issue is out of the question, I was streaming a video in the background from Youtube in the meantime. Ping stayed 40-ish the whole time.

Comp specs: Ryzen 1600, 16GB RAM, GTX1060 6GB, Win10 Pro latest, 1000 mbit optical internet connection.

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

If this was a one-time disconnection, do not worry too much, but if you are disconnecting frequently please consider working on any troubleshooting. Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in yellow text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

As always if nothing in that guide works, please reply saying you completed these steps and additional advice can be provided.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Joined game, blasted first point, just as its ticking up to full cap I get “lost connection to game server” and it boots me back to the login, instantly reconnect and it says its too late and I get penalty. No opportunity to reconnect as was legit gone from the game for 10 seconds. Screwed up system.

Please don’t necro old inactive threads.

If its relevant then why not? Necro is good.

A necro is never good. If you want to mention something happening to you it is almost always preferable to create your own thread instead of searching for an inactive thread to necro.

I did that too but I also like to necro relevant threads.

this need to be analyzed again… i have good connection and when i play overwatch i got constant Disconnection and LAG issues. like wtf!! how the hell i got to be penalized for your server issues!
Blizzard> oh sorry we have a crappy connection right now and having server issues, so you will get disconnected and will be penalized sorry for being our customer. like we care we already got your money.

1 Like