Lost connection and get banned

It´s the fifth time this happens in this week, and I KNOW FOR A FACT my Internet is not the problem. One in every 5 Competitive Matches I join, i get disconnected in the first 30 seconds of the game. I loose connection for 10 seconds, and get banned from Comp matches. And this ONLY happens in the first 30 seconds.

Loosing connection only happens at the beginning of the match, AND i know it´s not my connection, because I´ve been using both my High Speed University Connection (which is pretty stable) and tried using my 5G. Both work without a problem without loosing packets, except… Blizzard Servers
I try to play and get banned… It´s so frustrating!!!

I´ve been loosing my confidence and trust in Blizzard for some time now. I used to think Blizzard had the best games around, but not anymore.
Since Activision bought Blizzard, the quality level of it´s games has been dropping steadily. Games launched full of bugs and/or failing expectations. I would love to play Overwatch2, but based on my experience on Overwatch 1, I won´t do that.
Just trying to level up in the ranking system is a hurdle. Doesn´t matter how good you play, you loose your connection is equal to three games lost.
It´s ranking system is based on “WIN/LOOSE” only, meaning that I would have to play hundreds, if not thousands of games until the mean value of my “skill” is computed, when there are so many other variables which are more important than win or loose.

Variables like: DID I SUPPORT THE TEAM? Is irrelevant
Is my aim any good? Irrelevant
Did my team played with 5 DPS and me as the only healer? Irrelevant
A player from my Team disconnected? Irrelevant

First understand that if you are using any university lan or wlan, you will be at increased risk of network issues at that level. This is because dozens of users will likely be using it at any time.

Secondly all disconnections in Overwatch are treated equally to leaving the match. Simply put, the game has no way to distinguish a connection that is caused by any technical issue versus a disconnection caused deliberately to avoid leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Now if you are interested in narrowing down and locating your specific connection issue, we can help with that. If you are disconnecting from Overwatch but not your general internet connection, this is most likely going to mean there is a problem between you and the game server. The good news is that there is a handy way to trace your connection route and that is through a WinMTR test. Make sure you run this procedure using non-Competitive modes like Quick Play or Arcade and try to keep playing until you notice the disconnection problem again.

WinMTR instructions:

1. Download WinMTR from Download WinMTR-v092.zip (WinMTR) (Console players need a Windows Desktop Computer connected to the same network as their console to do this.)
  2. Unzip the WinMTR.zip file to the Desktop.
  3. Open the WinMTR folder and select the 32 or 64 bit version. Choose whichever one corresponds to your version of Windows.
  4. Run the WinMTR.exe
  5. Type the IP address you want to trace in the “Host” field. To get the correct IP you will actually need to open up the game and go Practice Vs AI or Quick Play and if you are on PC hit Ctrl+Shift+N and it will bring up the ingame network diagnostic graph, or go to Video > Options > Display Network Performance Graph if you are on any platform including Console. In the top left corner is the IP address you want to run WinMTR to.
    Network Graph
    note When looking at the IP it will show up ingame as something like 12.34.56.78:12345. You will want to leave the last 5 digits and the colon at the end off and the IP you want to use is just the 12.34.56.78
  6. Once you notice the connection issue while playing, play for about 6 more minutes, minimize the game and click on “Stop”.
  7. Click on “Copy text to clipboard”, then return to this forum thread.
  8. Type two sets of four squiggly lines and then paste the contents of the WinMTR test between: ~~~~ Paste WinMTR Test Results Here ~~~~

Not the onlyone. I’ve left 2 quickplay games only in the last 5 days.

Playing a comp game, and the game lags out like the server crashed. My net was fine, game didn’t hang or anything.

Then it tells me I’m suspended… for no reason.

Then it joins a game while suspended, and kicks me back out.

Then while sitting watching a video stream, while awaiting suspension to finish, OW keeps coming up disconnected from the server…

I wasn’t the only one disconnected from the server either, the chat remained and 4 of us were dropped from my team. And now after 10 comp losses in a row, I’ve been penalised for this and lost another 100 SR?

Thanks Blizzard, for lack of balance in the games, and crappy netcode.

1 Like

Just done exactly the same. Several of the players were in my server last game, and they also got suspended. This time, we had a 3 minute advantage to win the game, and the server kicked me and now suspended for an hour and because of blizzard server issues, It’ll probably take me 2 seasons to get back into Gold after todays penalties.

I KNOW it wasn’t my net connection, because while the game was playing I had this going…

Not it’s not a blizard server, but it was out there on the net.
Reply from 217.23.232.14: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=58
Reply from 217.23.232.14: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 217.23.232.14:
Packets: Sent = 1799, Received = 1799, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 7ms