Lost 50SR for disconnecting while QUEUING for competitive

My roommate reset the router just after I started queuing for competitive. I disconnected. “No problem”, I thought. I hadn’t even entered into a game yet. Despite this, I still lost 50SR and was suspended for 8 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced this? It’s such a hugely unfair bug.

1 Like

Hmm can’t say I have, did you post this in the bug forum also?

It’s possible that you found a game right before the router was reset right?

Or the moment the router was reset.

Like the server found a match and put him in the lobby the moment the router was reseted.

There is that lingering where I know for sure I am in a comp match.

its a load of bs right? happened a bunch today. Blizzard says its not their fault and ‘your account will balance out’. sure maybe but doesnt really make the user experience very enjoyable. really dropping the ball on customer relations on this one.

Getting penalized for leaving a competitive match due to disconnecting is suppose to happen. Blizzard is not doing this to make you mad, but unfortunately they see the bigger picture involved with all players in that match.

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. Furthermore, by penalizing players who have a malfunction they are more likely to stop playing Competitive Play and correct the issue before attempting to play again. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in yellow text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

As always if nothing in that guide works, please post in the technical support forum saying you completed these steps and additional advice can be provided. Good luck!

This is not a bug, the game server does not maintain a constant check on any player while in queue. This is because it knows there can be tiny blips in any one’s connection, so there is a time frame when you can be disconnected but not kicked out of the queue. During that time you can still be paired. Furthermore, in order to prevent queue dodging, it still penalizes if you fail to connect to that match.

This is not a bug, but a protocol by design.

Its frustrating but your hidden MMR and SR after a penalty are likely out of alignment, so by playing games to completion, the two will realign appropriately. I must emphasize, this happens to protect the overall community experience and is for everyone’s benefit (including yours).