Losing SR for DCing, coming back and winning a match?!

The title explains it all. Why is it that even when I come back in a match after a DC that I lose SR, even if we win the match? It’s ridiculous and just a waste of a good comp match. If this is a bug, please fix it, if it isn’t, please tell me why this is supposed to happen.

1 Like

I agree. I think the problem comes with the way the game records the dc penalty.

They need to make it so that if you dc and come back, but your team loses (most likely cause you were gone) that you still get assessed a penalty.

Also, the enemy team could notice the leaver and then play differently, leaver comes back, and they lose because of it. So there could be a complaint that way.

But I agree and your not the first nor the last to post this. They need to find a way to eliminate the penalty so if you come back and win, you don’t get penalized.

They also need to fix the bug where if you leave after a leaver (after the timer expires) you don’t get penalized on the next game for winning (the 2sr for a win bug)

2 Likes

This behavior would change once everyone knew about the new rule. “Punish before the leaver comes back!” etc…

1 Like

for me when i came back i got the win but when i go see my wins and losses its a loss lol but no sr loss i did gain in it not like you.

Rejoining a game is only possible during certain phases of the game. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Not a computer guy myself, maybe you could answer this question. So let’s say I’m playing on a moderate PC, running windows. Sometimes my game crashes or I get bumped off Wifi (lol). I’m pretty sure 2 minutes is enough to get back on wifi, but here’s the real question. My game crashes/computer freezes on my moderate PC running windows. Do I have time to manually shut off my computer, reboot it and get back into the game? If not, the timer should be bumped up from two to three minutes. Furthermore, you should always get a penalty if you disconnect and loose. But if you disconnect and win, you shouldn’t get a penalty.

The system they have in place is pretty good, but it seems like it has room for improvement :slight_smile:

Well its not too much a matter of the “technical side” of recovering why the penalty timer is only two minutes (which in the case of most technical issues, is NOT long enough to recover from). The policy behind two minutes is because the longer you are gone the more likely your team will not win the match, even if you return, prior to season 3, the penalty timer was only a minute, but they opened up the window to account for quick resolvable issues.

1 Like

Thanks. What’s your opinion on no penalty on a win? The only negative I can see is, what if “daredevils” tried to disconnect only to reconnect and be a hero at the last second? Aside from this behavior, I think if you win a match, you should never be assessed a leaver penalty and also get full SR for the win.

Well first consider that it is possible, although very unlikely, to win a 5v6. Hell, I have even drew a 4v6 in my competitive career. So it returns back to the point of making sure that if a player does return after the two minutes is up, they still take a match loss on record, regardless of the actual match outcome. Which is to prevent abuse as I mentioned above and to encourage players to not return to competitive play until the technical issue is resolved.

This for the most part is the standing opinion of Blizzard. I personally wish we could assume the best intentions out of all players, but I also believe the rules should not allow any opportunity for a serial leaver to abuse and exploit any opportunity to avoid penalty.

1 Like

Rejoining a game is only possible during certain phases of the game. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.
Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.
Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties.

Thanks for this information. I was not aware of this at the time of the DC and I happened to be disconnected for about 2-3 minutes. Thanks for telling me this so I can know about it for the future.

It’s what I do. now based on your original the description it sounds like you immediately identified the cause of your disconnection, however if that is not correct and you need assistance troubleshooting any causes of disconnections, including those where your internet does not disconnect, please make sure to start a post in the technical support forum.

Players like myself and Blizzard support agents can lend a hand troubleshooting any disconnection problems.

Yeah it was just an internet issue on my end, nothing new to me, had it happen before

Hi, i was playing Open Rule queue. i DCed for exactly 40 seconds! i rechecked replay! came back and play around 5 mins and help winning the game. i get surprised at the end i end up with penalty. i lost 54 SR! (even though in my replay it is marked as win)! plus 2 mins suspension! is there a way to know how is that even Possible! i havent DCed for long, as i understood form the fourms here DC shouldnt be longer then 2 mins. check! i dont mind the suspension but the SR decay for no reason!

Been a thing for years. Just move on, you wont get the SR back

it just hurts, i was pretty close to hit Masters in the old/new queue. now with 54 + 25 i should get from winning. i far behind :3