Losing 500SR in placement

Hi, I ended last season ~2600 as tank and just finished my five placements and it put me ~2100. I didn’t suddenly play differently, and even if I did, I didn’t think they lowered you that much season to season. My healer score only went down by 50. Is this new?

4 Likes

Wow, that’s a lot to lose.

1 Like

Hmm that’s odd, I’ve never went down that much personally. Even when I soft threw in my most recent placement matches, I only lost 20sr. But I didn’t throw though, I still tried to win games but with support heroes I was less good at.

And before people tell me that I should get banned, I only started soft throwing in placements because I noticed that it doesn’t seem to matter how well or badly I perform, I always ended up in a similar SR range as last season. So might as well take the opportunity to practice my other heroes if my performance doesn’t matter.

Anyways, is this a new account and this is only your second or third ever seasonal placement matches? Maybe you don’t have anchor stats yet and that’s why it lead you to dropping so much SR?

2 Likes

Is it a new account? If so, the SR gains and drops do tend to be volatile. You gain more SR on a win and lose more SR on a loss.

Otherwise on an already established account the placements give you the same amount of SR for losses and wins, so if you lost 500 on an old account then it is weird indeed.

3 Likes

Firstly, Let me be clear:

Anchor stats aren’t a thing. If you are below diamond then you’ll only have normalized SR until you start winning again. Diamond and above are strictly ±25. Overcome your flaws, get wins, and you’ll go up. Even the carry groups know this.

And in response to the OP:

The only thing I can see is that you changed from PC to Switch, based on your account. You may have lost a few games and landed at 2100 on your Switch account.

If you’re talking about your PC account then dropping from 2600 to anything below 2300 is not typical. If that’s the case then either you did absolutely nothing for 5 games and got an extreme SR penalty or… something else.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, I started playing on switch so it counts it as a new account (level 30something now I think) so maybe that is why. I didn’t know it was more volatile. Someone else had told me that big a drop is impossible and I needed to contact support but I thought maybe there was a reason for it so I thought I’d check here.

Blizzard support are fairly useless when it comes to giving people actual answers. I would assume the answer would have been something like “I’m sorry to hear about your troubles with our game. At this time we aren’t at liberty to discuss the inner workings of titles. Please be aware that Support are unable to adjust the outcome of games or roll back accounts. I know this isn’t the answer you were hoping for. Sincerely, Support”

If you haven’t played for a while then you’re more likely to lose or gain a lot of SR for around the first 10 games or so until the system catches you up to the “new normal”.

1 Like

I used to have 2750 SR and I made a year break and then I got this season to 2100 as placement which is okay after a year break.

I don’t know if Blizzard is aware how bad it feels that you put so much effort into climbing only to lose 500 SR for reasons unknown, especially in case like yours.

I remember, I climbed to Platinum as Reaper in 2019 or something like that and then, they nerfed reaper and I went down 1000 SR and then I got back to Platinum again after a month.

So, am I playing on platinum level or not?

Conclusion: "Who knows :man_shrugging: " and that’s what utterly pisses me off.
Investing hours and hours only to not know what’s right or wrong.

Thanks for the replies. I’ve tracked it a little and I get 20-21 for a win but in the 30s for a loss even if I have all the gold’s or there was a thrower or leaver, so there’s clearly some secret formula and I’m just kind giving up. I’ve sunk to the high 1600s now. Wish me luck in bronze next week.

Nothing is new here, the matchmaker has been broken since the game began.