Looking for Fair Games... Really?

I just had the displeasure of going against a team made up of a 4-Stack and a duo, with higher SR than my team. What was my team made of, 4 solos and a duo with over 30 team SR lower. In what realm were we even supposed to have a chance at winning? The one thing you can do correctly is match team if not the March Sr. Neither of those simple task were fulfilled and we still managed to take 5 rounds with 60% on last point ultimately losing. But the most mind boggling part is in a game were we had every measurable disadvantage, I still lost 39SR at the end of the match. People complained about being matched against every teams when they grouped up, so your good is to give teams ultimate advantage and punish solo players. Tht doesn’t sound like a good fix.

Prinicipal Designer Scott Mercer has actually taken time to explain a great many factors of matchmaking including why this happens in this mega-post here:

You’re saying if you don’t use the Looking for Group feature, which is only in the PTR and not officially released is the reason tht Blizzard puts you in extremely lopsided because of an application tht was supposed to make games More balanced. None of what you just said answered my question.

The matchmaker doesn’t make perfectly balanced games. your mmr is adjusted up more if you win while carrying bad teams. also if your mmr is higher you are given higher mmr teammates.

If your mmr drops a bunch, you play with low teammates in a lower rank game where you are typically the highest mmr player and will lose if you can’t carry.

MMR drops for losing earlier games before SR drops. This means taht if you lose 1-2 in a row, the next game will give you really bad losses if you lose and especially if you perform poorly.

Long story short, you’re underperforming for what the system expects of you. Maybe if you aren’t getting healed, it might not be all your fault, but if your team needs some other role that bad that you can’t perform your job, maybe you should swap?

I’m “underperforming” because I fill like a moron. There is no punishment for locking a hero despite underperforming or what the team need so people play what they want and I get placed with awful player tht refuse to switch.
Everything you tried to describe makes it sound like Blizzard punishes players for over performing by placing them with progressively worse teams the better they do?

int i = 0;
while (i <= 9000)
{
printf(“qq”);
i++;
}

in all seriousness, google “playing to win by david sirlin” - it’ll help you adjust your attitude to more of a winner’s mentality. you can’t control anything but yourself, and blaming the matchmaker will just keep you from improving. analyze your games, learn from your mistakes, play to improve, and you will climb naturally.

1 Like

I’m not blindly “blaming the matchmaking” they acknowledged tht MMR and SR change differently so the better you do consistently or in a row the more likely the more likely you are too be matched out of your rank with literal potatoes for teammates making a win and the ability to climb impossible. Climbing naturally means to win games, you get punished for winning games there is no way to"climb naturally".
But thankfully this be LFG feature will punish Solo queuers by matching them against full teams because they finally cowered to the teams whining about playing other teams with communication and losing.

i’ve generally found that people who refer to their teammates as “potatoes” are the people who most desperately need to focus on their own gameplay if they ever want to improve.

i imagine that people who run to the forum to complain about their external factors care less about improving than some people, though.

everyone has to deal with those random factors. the people who climb recognize that everyone gets them, so the only way to climb is to work on your own gameplay and play enough games to make the random factors irrelevant. climbing is a natural side-effect.

I’ve general found tht people with zero insight on a problem should remove themselves and stop taking up space with meaningless rambling. They put out a statement explaining SR and MMR, pretty much admitting that they will go out of their way to keep people around 50% win. So yes the better you do the better your opponents and worse your team gets, factually. How bout you read anything on this forum before you try to tell people they’re wrong.

ok dude, I’m not entirely sure why youre behaving like you are. please listen to those around you that only want to help you improve. resorting to name calling and talking down to people will get you and the conversation nowhere.

i see youre a low-mid gold player which dont take that the wrong way, a majority of players are there. i get where youre coming from, i used to be in low gold myself. honestly i know how you feel. some games feel unwinnable. maybe because youre team isnt communicating, maybe youre rein charges into their team and feed, maybe you have a widow thats missing ever shot, etc. but all you can do at that point is focus on you.

a third of your games are just unwinnable, no chance whatsoever, another third is unlosable, youre going to win whether you pop off or do nothing, then the last are those super fair matches where it comes down to one team fight to win it.

im sure you may have had a bad string of matches but dont let it discourage your. when you lose two, just take a break, go play qp or another game. switching up your mentality can make your play 10x better. just try to stay positive, keep a level head and youll do better.

That’s cool, but none of tht tells me why I’m being put against teams of 4+2 with over 2600 team SR and my team has 1 duo made up of 2 silvers with a team 2550Sr. Is that game winnable and this "1/3rd of games are unwinnable thing sounds like awful matchmaking. Good “competitive” matchmaking would mean every game is winnable, you have better odds in quickplay.

1 Like

maybe its the times youre queuing? maybe your region? it could be any number of reasons. but when your Grouped Sr is lower than the enemy teams you dont get as punished for the loss as you would if it were closer.

Devs have already said that this sorta thing happens, its not meant to happen all the time but in rare occasions it can. just move on to the next game.

Matchmaker, Pbsr and all the other stuff to do with making fair games has been garbage for a long time now. About 80% of games are 3-0 one way or the other.

And team mate quality difference at the same SR is ludicrous.

But had 2 great games last night on lfg. 3-2 close game on Rialto and 3-3 on Volskaya.

I think that grouping up is the way to go. If you’re in a 6 stack, no way you can be screwed by matchmaker giving you a feeder or thrower to “even up the teams”.

If you’re solo queuing, I think that you’re shtt out of luck from now on.

It’s the end of the season and people are going crazy with the new LFG so ya this is not the most ideal time to play comp. I’m sorry for your losses but you need too look into other matters since you are the most consistent being on your teams.