London Calling 4

Compared to volume 3, I liked this very much. action, intrigue … and finally Tracer’s recall. maybe a little hasty, but there are clues that we will see Winston in the next issue! maybe when Tracer leaves London? maybe to the museum to protect the doomfist glove?

I won’t speculate too much about Iggy’s fate, I’m pretty sure she will be saved. I’d just like to know the identity of Kace’s sniper. it could be an OW2 Villain/ new hero?

I think they could set up Lizzy better. Just random character introduced at last second to save the day. Like she could at least interact with Tracer before. Other than that I dont understanf Iggy flip floping between loving and hating humans. It is okay to feel unsure about something but her behaviour is kinda strange one comic leaning into Mondatta philosophy and other being fanatic supporter of Kace then this issue returning as voice of reason.
Last time she was mad Lady died and wanted revange. Now she is reserved for full out coup.

Other than that and small plot hole Lizzy is able to fix Leana Chrono thingy, (I guess Winston left some instructions to know how) it wasnt that bad. Just Kace comming to power and making London Uprising 2.0.

I dobout Sniper was someone significant. His appearence however is werid indeed. They could show us beneth all that black clothes is Omnic but no we get explenation from Iggy. I guess they runned out of time on comic and just went “yup it was fake assasinaton by omnic”

3 Likes

Sorry but I don’t think the sniper is significant. Now Iggy is a character that I hope is a OW 2 character, perhaps going on a Aurora like pilgrimage herself or to find Zenyatta.

1 Like

you find me quite in agreement on Iggy/Lizzy. I would like to convince myself that she has “calmed down” following Lady’s death (so too sad to be blinded by her anger), but Lizzy’s resolution clarifies a few things:

• Iggy could confirm that she will never be an Overwatch fighter hero but at most an NPC that we could see again in an OW2 PVE. in short, on the same level as characters like Efi, Katya Volskaya or Maximilien.
  • we might think that Lizzy will be playable, but apart from the very “trivial” design, she honestly she doesn’t seem like she has demonstrated any special skills. the time accelerator initially wanted to fix it Tracer (before he got too sick), and on stabilizing the Underworld system … it’s pretty deductible that Tracer couldn’t know those pieces were okay, and any omnic could tell him, not just Lizzy.

A terrible truth: they should to reverse the roles of Lizzy and Iggy. Iggy’s redemption can still be masked by the sadness of losing Lady, but it would have been even more believable if Iggy had found Tracer in trouble and thought “Am I going to lose another friend? I can’t allow it anymore.” and seeing Iggy approach Tracer and save her, empathizing that it would be a mistake to lose a friend, just as it was an unintended mistake to have Mondatta killed. The discovery of Kace’s intrigue is also important, but only asks for a character who observes the truth and then becomes a hostage. This truth is credible from Lizzy, not just Iggy.

and honestly? putting a hood on Lizzy was useless. she is a character who does not have an artistic style to justify this initial secret.

I disagree, honestly. just the right shot to be able to notice who was on a single scene, in passing. it makes very little sense to completely hide it in a silhouette. I could be wrong or deceive myself, but it was too “strange” a stylistic choice not to be able to notice it.

You know, with how Kace set things up, I won’t be surprised if he confesses to being the one who hired Talon to assassinate Mondatta.

2 Likes

It was a very dumb choice from Iggy to confront Kace alone.

But besides that the issue was good. I dont see many characters to be playables from here. Kace may be a Talon associate but that generic villain design doesnt make up for a playable hero.

3 Likes

Iggy outfit it’s quite cool and to be honest it’s the most “different” Omnic I have seen so far. I’d love a hero with her design. Although she hasn’t showed any special abilities or anything at all.

I’m sorry that some people’s standards are so low that this childish story and art is accepted… maybe it’s because most people have been driven away.

Overwatch is (was?) worth billions and instead of (re)building the brand Blizzard just keep on digging its grave. It’s not as though the comics are being churned out like Marvel in the 90s - there’s been time and no need to hire an artist who can’t draw a face that’s not gurning, no need for boring and simplistic storylines and dialogue.

I used to love Overwatch and came here expecting ridicule of this Tracer comic and pressure to improve, not enablers of ruination.

Its not that everyone is accepting this story or that people were driven away from Overwatch. I just shifted my attention to other lore releases that dropped around this time like Stone By Stone and Kanezaka/Yamagami’s letter, and I’m sure others have too.

The pacing feels really poor for this series, and each comic seems worse than the last. I don’t have anything to speculate or hope for with London Calling anymore because it seems that plot points are brought up just to be discarded by the next chapter, if not within the same issue.

I’ve got low expectations for Chapter 5. I’ll still read it, and I’ll write my full thoughts on the series afterwards, but I’m not expecting to like it. I set the low point for Overwatch comics at Zarya’s Searching, but it feels like London Calling might surpass it. Depends on the conclusion.

3 Likes

Well, we’re waiting.

1 Like

I have a feeling you might be disappointed.

4 Likes