LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

It would be cool if Blizzard had parallel storylines where you see what groups of heroes are up to while Winston and co. are out there officially Overwatching. That would be a really cool way to incorporate more Talon game play and scenes, I know I for one would love to play as Talon characters too.

Btw, whatever happened between Baptiste and Mercy then? Did he get to where she was and find a note that said ā€œbrb went to Parisā€ ?

1 Like

I donā€™t see a problem honestly. Not all characters need a connection to the plot or other characters. Some characters are there to diversify the Overwatch universe and world building and not just the main plot. If thereā€™s a reason to include them in the main plot, then by all means they can try to do it though. But if we start giving everyone a role in the plot, we are never going to progress anywhere and we are going to go back to square one where some of the characters are going to take the front seat, even if others were connected to the plot as well. And even if story mode will not feature everyone, they still have other means of releasing lore.

There might be a Talon mission if they decide that Talon needs to win something, butoverall the story mode is about the Overwatch team coming back and fixing the world. Playing as the bad guy generally isnā€™t a thing in video games. Generally. Iā€™d rather see the Talon guys as enemies you need to defeat in the story mode rather than having to play as them.

Jeff did say that they are trying to figure out a way for other heroes to be playable in story mode as well but I donā€™t know if theyā€™re going to go through with that. Regardless, hero missions exist, and we just need to know how lore intensive or not they are, and whether thereā€™s tons of interactions in these missions.

I guess thatā€™s fair, not every character can have an equally big impact on the plot when there are so many characters. But I still wish theyā€™d come up with a way to include every character in the story mode, even if that would mean including missions that are less tied to the main plot.

And yeah, I guess it would be a bit weird to play as the bad guys when youā€™ve started off as the good guys. What I would reaaally love would be a mission where members of Overwatch and Talon are forced to work together for whatever reason because that would give you an excuse to play as Talon without it feeling like youā€™re playing against the good guys. Enemies working together to defeat a common enemy is one of my favorite tropes, ever. I love some of the interactions in OW where it is apparent that some heroes donā€™t want to work together, but they have to (e.g. Moira and Pharah), even though theyā€™re meant to be humorous and not canon.

2 Likes

I mean they could add new story mode content later but I want them to wrap up whatever story they have to tell without diverting too much from the path just to add more characters into the story mode. Iā€™m hoping at some point Jack and Ana are coming back to the roster. It wouldnā€™t surprise me if the story they want to tell ends up with this kind of reunion, and then a new season for the story mode is released as a DLC, probably not as free content.

I generally donā€™t like the ā€˜ā€™ heroes and enemies working together ā€˜ā€™ trope unless itā€™s extremely, EXTREMELY well written. Otherwise it just feels cartooney lol. Talon probably isnā€™t the big bad anyway so itā€™s bound to happen at some point.

Anyway, my only hope at the moment is that theyā€™ll start promoting Overwatch 2 like they promoted Overwatch 1. Hero reveals, map reveals, comics, animated shortsā€¦ maybe? Maybeā€¦

2 Likes

Ohhh thereā€™s an Emily easter egg.

https://twitter.com/demonriko/status/1190373205472530432

3 Likes

Full offense but if mercy is there why isnā€™t baptisteā€¦ The robbery

8 Likes

It was probably another McCree situation where he has a task to send an Overwatch member back to where they belong while he himself is on another vague mission thatā€™s not going to be revealed in years to come.

Maybe as the story mode progresses, you enlist more people into Overwatch. There could be a mission where Genji recruits Hanzo in the end, and Lucio recruits D.Va during a Busan mission. I could see that happening.

2 Likes

I really hope for a good story progression like that! PLus Jeff said there would be 2 cinematics for each missions, for the intro and the end of the mission. I have big hopes for OW 2 :heart:

I just hope that the story mode is big enough or that theyā€™ll update it with new missions once in a while. We donā€™t know the price yet, but paying a full game price for like 5-6 missions that take 15 minutes each to complete in normal difficultyā€¦ naaaah, not too hot about that.

2 Likes

it looks like theyre trying to make OW2 a generally massive overhaul and update. weā€™re probably in for a lot of news about it until release. itā€™s a constantly updating and expanding game already so I doubt OW2 will be any different.

Apparently thereā€™s going to be one hero release until OW2. Itā€™s probably Echo, since Soujurn is basically revealed as a OW2 hero. Also, the four silhouettes some gaming magazine was shown, none of them were Soujurn. So if they are not Echo or Soujurn, itā€™s most likely Mauga, Junker Queen, Omnic from Storm Rising, and at least one wild card.

I think Iā€™m the only one left thatā€™s still slightly skeptical, lol. From what I saw in terms of gameplay they really need to work hard to make sure thereā€™s enough variety to make it engaging and replayable enough.
And while the fact that the story is progressing is enticing I still donā€™t know how to feel about it knowing how the writing quality has been recently.

Iā€™ll probably still consider buying it Iā€™m just unsure how to feel about it all yet. Especially when I still havenā€™t seen how all my favourite unpopular characters (Zen, Pharah, Hanzo, Sym) will fit into all of it, assuming they even will in the first place.

5 Likes

I think they should just follow the overall Archives events formula and itā€™ll be fine for me. I think I sank 200 hours just into Retribution alone and there arenā€™t many changes there. I just love it as an event and a story with interesting gameplay elements, even though they arenā€™t exactly changing from game to game.

But I agree that they need that and more if they plan on selling the expansion on pve alone.

Preach. I expect them to show us other characters in the coming months and what they have in store for them, especially some that have next to no lore. They still have fans and Iā€™ll be disappointed if we get loads of content for characters that already have loads of content and we have to wait even longer for something about characters like Zen, Pharah or Sym. And to me, Hanzo most of all because itā€™s so strange that his entire story is linked to Genji and heā€™s Genjiā€™s side character, but heā€™s not in Genjiā€™s story at all. Not that I want him to continue being Genjiā€™s supporting cast, but heā€™s not even remotely mentioned even as just that. I kinda almost expected him to pop up with Genji in the new cinematic.

Anyway, thereā€™s a lot of heroes and more to come. Almost all of them are at this point more interesting to me than the main cast. And from the main cast, Iā€™d mostly like to know more about Mercy (she has no lore of her own), especially considering the Baptiste story tease about him knowing Mercy and going to warn her. Baptiste and Mercy connection is something I highly anticipate seeing as soon as possible. Also kinda expected him to pop up in the cinematic with her.

3 Likes

So apparently Jeff has said that they are aiming for a fall 2020 release for OW2.

Oh is that now official? I saw that as a leak but.

Thatā€™s kinda worrying. It means no content for a whole year. No new maps, no new heroes. No new Archives event. Which isnā€™t bothering me so much honestly, I am kinda relieved that we didnā€™t get a new hero again because in my opinion thereā€™s been too much new heroes messing up the roster, and I can also survive without a map and Archives is great but weā€™re getting a new game that will be filled with loreā€¦

But I donā€™t think Iā€™m a good representative of the overall fanbase. To most, we shouldā€™ve had even more heroes and maps. I canā€™t imagine what will people like streamers do for a year with no new content. They already get bored playing this all day for a living. And without them and their promotion, without news and stuff that can be used to keep us interestedā€¦ I can see people abandoning the game in droves.

Yeah I donā€™t know what Blizzard is thinking, but apparently thereā€™s ONE hero release left, and the Push map is being put into OWL so I think thatā€™ll be released as well at one point. But overall Overwatch 1 being a desert for actual content for the next year or so is going to be extremely rough.

But like I said, nothing some hero/map reveals, comics and animated shorts canā€™t fix.

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting how they said push is coming to OWL since next OWL season starts in February. Which is pretty close. So the release of that has to be very close as well since the pro players have to play the mode, train, get strategiesā€¦

I think itā€™s safe to assume that map and hero releases arenā€™t going to follow any fixed schedule and Blizzard is going to dump them whenever.