LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread 🏳️‍🌈

I mean, all the set up they’ve bluid for years was meant for that : bringing back Overwatch - to face another menace like the Omnic Crisis that led to the first Overwatch to be created, don’t you think?

I still hope we can dive in history and still have some missions/glimpse of the past from our old soldiers

Can’t wait to know more about it ; it’s not like the few pictures leaked can explain everything, I want to hear it from the devs themselves and see what they’ll do with the Overwatch franchise.

This ^. I don’t dislike any of the poster OW kids but I’m also pretty tired of seeing the same cast be featured over and over. Tbh seeing the leaked art for the cinematic kind of killed my excitement for it, I was hoping it would focus on Baptiste finding Mercy or some other characters we haven’t seen much of before, but I guess that was too much to ask for.

7 Likes

I also want more story for everyone, but I fear that if the new game does add lore for everyone, it will completely mess up my headcanons for some characters. I mean, yeah, it’s gonna happen anyway eventually when new lore is released but…

I guess the worst-case scenario for me would be any of the existing characters getting killed, and the second worst would be Moira getting a husband and a kid. lmao. Honestly, I’m not sure if I’d rather get a new game solely focused on Tracer, Winston, Genji etc. or a game where everyone gets lore but it’s bad.

5 Likes

Oh, I feel you. These characters have been free real estate for over 3 years now, seeing headcanons getting ruined would set fire to the fandom. And someone’s headcanons will certainly get ruined. I just hope it won’t be me.

But I think I’d like to take the risk just to bring something new to the overall experience.

5 Likes

This has also been my main concern. I probably have more headcanons than there is actual canon at this point.

We can always use the alternate timeline excuse and call it a day, eh?

8 Likes

I totally agree. Overwatch at this point for me is like orange is the new black: the “side characters” are a million times more interesting than the main characters. I don’t need Reinhardt tracer Genji mercy simulator again. I want Sym, baptiste, Lucio, d.va, the junkers…

8 Likes

I Echo(sorry) a lot of the sentiments posted here recently.

On the subject of the canon ruining the headcanon. I don’t have a problem with it, as long as I’m given a good reason to believe in what was made canon. But this has being ow’s biggest weakness. Giving characters real motives.

I’m still confused on why Winston regarded overwatch as surogate family to him and the others, when the characters interactions show the opposite of that. Only few characters seem to have any kind of closeness, the rest of the interactions feel very artificial.

Ana allying with Soldier in Bastet is another exemple of motives not making sense. She spends 5 years of her life hiding and helping people. For Soldier to appear, say that he’s going to take down the bad guy she was already after, and that she could join him in discovering the truth and hunt down Talon. So, she joins him. I guess she stayed in hiding for many years because she needed time to reflect on that she didn’t like killing people, but did so to protect the ones in need. Only to comeback into killing people to protect the ones in need…Good job wasting everybody’s time Ana!

It also feels artificial the fact that the population of the ow universe will be ok with the organization coming back with the same members. They failled in the past, why deposit their trust on them again? “Reinhard(allegedly) messed up and was forced to retire. I sure want him back!” “Genji was one of the assasins in the Antonio case. He seems trustworthy!” “Tracer was at Mondatta’s assassination. She did a great job on that!”

Sorry for the long post.

3 Likes

I fear that the characters they want to give to us through “eyes, nose and mouth” (to translate a local saying) are going to inexplicably be involved in more and more things. But as other people have mentioned, whoever Blizzard was hoping to have everybody’s favorite characters and ships be, the fandom has had 3 years to make up their own headcanons and grow attached to.

For example, I doubt the writers ever intended for Hanzo to be more than a supporting characters for Genji’s story, but McHanzo quickly became the most popular ship and I doubt Gency will ever get close to surpassing it (it’s not even more popular than Pharmercy). It’s not just about having head canons be broken, Blizzard had 3 years to make their mascots the absolute most popular and loved in the fandom, but they failed to and now many ppl have grown more attached to other characters, so of course the people attached more to the “side cast” are not going to rave with excitement when they see the same core cast featured over and over.

4 Likes

I know what you mean. That reminds me of when they released that Christmas comic and Reaper was shown vaguely brooding over a couple+child… felt a bit weird at the time, would be even weirder to see now after the characters have been static for years and we’ve all come up with our own assumptions about them.

1 Like

Overwatch 2 with a pride parade watch

Matt just proved how much he is the IRL McCree

1 Like

Blizzard had 3 freaking years to make loved by us story but no they suddenly made Reaper family, Jack gay, Tracer lesbian etc. bits and bits.
If they made these earlier and expand more, lore would be in totally different position now.

And about Overwatch 2. Overwatch is not only the game name but mainly it references the old Overwatch in lore called by NATO. With Overwatch 2, it is not only the expansion name but mainly it references the new Overwatch recalled by Winston. The leaked Overwatch 2 print includes all recalled Overwatch agents we know: Genji, Mei, Reinhardt, Tracer, Winston, Mercy (the exception yet), Echo + Brigitte, as she always with Reinhardt wherever he goes.

“What You Left Behind” says Baptiste is going to meet Mercy with Sombra’s help because she can have “Recall” signal and he want to protect her from incoming Talon attack at her.
It shows it’s the situation which will change Mercy’s perspective of the new Overwatch (as now she thinks the old Overwatch was bad and the new Overwatch won’t be different) and she will join the new Overwatch, Overwatch 2.

Today will be big. I won’t be watching the stream because I can’t bare the thought of potential headcanons being ruined for me. I’ll just read what you guys have to comment lol.

2 Likes

Overwatch 2 will have multiple new heroes, and that’s the best thing. Sojourn confirmed, Echo is definitely going to be in as well since she was in the short, that leaves maybe Junker Queen, Mauga and the omnic guy from the Storm Rising ending.

Also, for anyone worried, Jeff confirmed that all the progress from Overwatch will be included to Overwatch 2.

Now, the animated short? It’s interesting that Winston carried around a picture of the group, but Gabe was not present in it. Hmhhhh…

1 Like

I’m both excited and afraid.

I also don’t understand if this will be like an expansion to the existing game or a separate installed program. But either way, we’re keeping our stuff and that’s all that matters to me.

Also I’m excited about lore and story missions and new looks for heroes, but oh boy am I afraid of what these stories will bring.

2 Likes

Okay but was that Zenyatta with Doomfist???

Omnic: ‘’ I can’t do this… ‘’
Doomfist: ‘’ Nobody will stop us. ‘’

No, it has to be someone else.
WAIT, THAT HAS TO BE MONDATTA

i said this years ago…but i LONG predicted mondatta faked his death to start something! also Im relieved to be seeing this news.

I mean, that has to be Mondatta, no? I can see the robe, shawl, whichever. Not sure about the head design?

https://i.imgur.com/GuZXWOt.png

either way, im relieved so far about this.

also yes that looks like one of the monks, has to be either mondatta or a monk we’ve not seen before.