LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread 🏳️‍🌈

going to have to wait and see I guess. though they definitely look at this thread. who knows.

This thread has only recently gotten active again. Otherwise it’s been dead silent, so I really doubt Blizzard is bothering themselves with this dead thread lulul.

That’s interesting. Remaster usually means like upscaled textures or upscaled graphics or some sort.

1 Like

In this case I believe it means a restructuring of the game files so that it’ll take up less space and load faster

2 Likes

There’s some lore on Soldier/Vincent in the cookbook.

Well, that’s something I guess.

1 Like

Oooh, I’m very interested in this. Bless. This also means there could potentially be more books later.

I also ordered the cookbook because of lore because I’m that desperate and I saw Hanzo’s recipes and lore in it and like, thank you for my life, cookbook.

Anyway, Halloween event tomorrow apparently? Legendary Hanzo Halloween event skin please, Blizzard.

2 Likes

I love how mccree’s recipes are just things he found in his travels that he likes. and it’s kind of sad that hanzo’s are all depression foods

1 Like

Ahh you’re right. Usually the Halloween event happens on the second week Tuesday of October.

1 Like

I had hope for tomorrow, but with Overwatch realease on Switch the 15th, I think thay may launch Halloween at the same time ?

2 Likes

On the topic of LGBT representation, does anyone else headcanon that Brigitte is trans?

I think I’m done with Blizzard after the recent controversy. Eff Blizzard, free Hong Kong.

1 Like

Might be! If not today, then I guess they’re waiting for the Switch version.

2 Likes

Honestly after all this, my ‘’ worst fears ‘’ have come true in terms of Blizzard. They’d rather take Chinese money WITH it’s censorship, their loyalty is to China.

‘’ President Xi Jinping has taken an increasingly hardline stance on LGBT rights, banning portrayal of same-sex relationships on television and online. ‘’

‘’ A woman who wrote a gay-themed novel was sentenced to 10 years and 6 months in prison for “breaking obscenity laws”.

And you wonder why all the implications of homosexuality in Overwatch are in comics.

Then again, Blizzard has regardless tried to work around the censorship with decent success, and even put pride related material in OWL, but I’m sure if Blizzard doesn’t distance themselves from China, you all can say goodbye to anything worthwhile coming from Overwatch.

4 Likes

I don’t really get those vibes from her. I can see Brigitte being bisexual or even asexual, but she comes across as stereotypically feminine so I don’t see her being trans.

Nah, not really. Brigitte has been mentioned in Torbjorn’s letter before she was even born.

Nahhhhhhhh. She’s cis and totally non-sexualized. I like her that way, tbh. The gay character I wanted was Sanjay as the shielding support bc I stan symmetra. But we’re not getting anymore characters like that. Oh well, though. I know companies are trepidatious about making gay characters villains, but the politician did it really well.

Worst of all, them bending the knee to discrimination can have wider consequences elsewhere. If companies see that this is a valid tactic for still earning money despite doing it, more of them will do it. I am absolutely disappointed in Blizzard for taking the side of a discriminatory regime and even if this is only Activision’s doing, they have a choice to move away from it, same way Bungie cut ties with Activision (speaking of, I’ve been enjoying Destiny 2 again after not playing it for a year).

Also, my deepest condolences to all people in China affected by this discrimination. It can’t be easy being LGBT over there and the media could be their only escape from the harsh reality but with the media being censored, it must be awful and terrifying.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be too comfortable with Bungie because they got a hundred million dollar investment by a Chinese gaming company NetEase. So um… yeah.

I think it’s honestly time for me to switch to indie developers. Big corporations are doing nothing but scummy bs these days.

That’s true, I don’t trust any of these companies really, but at least Destiny 2 is now free so there’s that.

Also pretty much all companies have Chinese investors these days so you might be right about switching to indies or at least being extra careful when spending money around big companies.

2 Likes