LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread 🏳️‍🌈

Not even remotely. Just look at all the problems right and left wingers have been causing lately. One character can chase them out of our community out of self-righteous indignation.

quite an interesting take, I’ll give you that

1 Like

The thing is, there’s nothing inherently political about having gender dysphoria or not being ashamed of your ancestry. But right and left wingers associate these things with politics anyway because to them everything is political. Combining characteristics that they consider incompatible directly opposes political ideology as a whole.

1 Like

Ugh, Brian found the megathread. Ignore him.

1 Like

Ignore me? I thought left wing policy with anti-politicals was false accusation, doxing, and and organized violence.

Oh, I get it! I’ve become so damaging to your ideology that you have to put effort into overlooking me. So I’m basically a Black Israelite.

Careful, everyone. Smirking could have dire consequences.

Aqualad is bi!!??!?! I have to catch up asap.

yeah there was an on screen kiss. havent really watched season 3 part 2 yet but i’ve seen the screenshots. it s what he deserves

1 Like

Honestly I think it’s pretty lame and unoriginal. It’s always gay men being represented as tragic, lonely characters, that don’t seem gay at all, so they can make a reference to their sexuality and then never mention it again so they won’t alienate the straight audience.

I really do feel this way as a gay man, too. I really feel disappointed that gay men in straight media always have to have a tragic backstory.

I kinda just wish for a more laid back, neutral character like lucio than a rugged Machismo man archetype that was being thrown out in the early 2000s when no one accepted gay ppl.

It’s okay though. But yeah. I think honestly having more “gay” gay ppl would be nice to see in media. And I don’t consider myself very fem or masc, but I think idk… soldier just didn’t fit and quit frankly the way they wrote him felt hella forced. An origins comic or past tense comic would’ve made way more sense to bring that up.

Anywaaaays… rant over. They need more effort into the storytelling in general. Maybe borrow some writers from WoWs dying department

1 Like

Pretty much. They knew what they were doing. They made the stereotypical straight white macho soldier gay instead to seem more progressive than they are, while making him a miserable, lonely man who will never seek romance ever again, most likely. They did this so they could have their cake, and eat it too, without too much backlash from the straight community that EW GAY MEN KISSING.

I would’ve at least been sort of fine with this if they did the reveal in an origin style comic instead like you said, where they explored this relationship, gave Vincent lore and a personality, which then would’ve potentially hyped him as a future character as well.

But, in the end, if we complain about how it was handled, people will just say ‘’ WHY IS NOTHING EVER GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU!!!?!?!? ‘’ and I’m sure Blizzard realized this as well. I have no hope that Soldier’s homosexuality is ever going to be brought up again, ever. And that was it for the chances that we might ever see the love between two men in the Overwatch lore. T’was it lads, t’was it.

Oh, also a reminder

there still is no (young) androgynous, feminine male character in the roster. After 3 new human male heroes, they still haven’t diversified the male hero pool that much.

1 Like

Doubt they will any time soon tbh. We need more 40 year old women who look 16 first.

1 Like

With Mauga and the ‘’ Talon omnic ‘’ teased at the end of last Archives event, we won’t be getting any androgynous men in a long while. 2021 the earliest.

I don’t know what it is about (cis) androgynous male characters that western media has such a blind spot on. Diverse media will feature all kinds of women, and Overwatch specifically is pretty good with different kinds of women featuring different kinds of ‘’ unconventional ‘’ gender expression (namely Tracer, Zarya, Moira and to an extent Brigitte, maybe Pharah). But men having different kinds of gender expression? Nah. Just release another macho guy, or then a snarky guy, or an old guy, or all of them together!!!

3 Likes

It’s this easy. Many people commented on my thread saying that sexuality shouldn’t matter to a character and i bet they are the same people who liked your comment.

That is the level of hypochrisy that there is for gay people.

And no, i couldn’t care less. We know nothing about jack, this gives him a cool story.

Now stop bragging that you don’t get your on screen gay kiss.

He DOES. Kaldur best boy - well, man actually.

2 Likes

I do not know, are you looking for fight? I am neutral or you can say I approve all sides. Differences are making humans interesting and I hope there wouldn’t be wars but it’s not possible as ages of humanity are showing.

And stories are stories, they cannot tell everything, they are always limited. And as it is, Overwatch won’t tell everything what fans and creators would like to. So I just suggest to be happy with every little thing they will give us. For good, for bad.

About new heroes I think the support and the damage, the 2 future heroes developer was talking about I think are Echo and Sojourn. To me they make sense.

Sexuality should not matter in how a person is portrayed in terms of characteristics, not sexuality does not matter period.
Also, how is “I had a boyfriend off screen that I broke up with because war” a cool story? All it does is cement what we already know about Jack.
Also, that’s not what bragging is.

Honestly I see no reason why they couldn’t do it. Admittedly designing abilities around that kind of character might be sort of limiting, but you still have stuff to work with there.

Sexuality should not matter in how a person is portrayed in terms of characteristics, not sexuality does not matter period.

What a wonderful sentence. This 100%

Admittedly designing abilities around that kind of character might be sort of limiting

Explain? I mean you can be a feminine guy but still throw a punch or fire a rocket launcher.

1 Like

Overwatch has silhouettes be extremely important in identifying a character, like you can easily tell who is coming at you and from that what to expect.
I guess I’m more thinking that having a androgynous/feminine dude wielding heavy weaponry might be a bit confusing from a character design point of view.
I suppose the best way to do that might be to have a male member of the MEKA group. Have a hero with two distinct stages.

I guess I’m more thinking that having a androgynous/feminine dude wielding heavy weaponry might be a bit confusing from a character design point of view.

but… doesn’t that sound super freaking awesome?

Like, what’s not cool about this?
https://hbimg.huabanimg.com/c918c366d73226f9d32a6a1444bb8c88f5f6956d8434e-RvYAPj_fw658