LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread 🏳️‍🌈

coolio. thats pretty sweet i guess

ever stop and wonder why people think we only care about lgbt stuff and not the game itself? like we cant care about multiple things and love the game regardless?

2 Likes

It’s because they’re stereotyping us and they have prejudice against anyone asking for anything not strictly related to gameplay. More so if it’s anything even remotely social justice related.

2 Likes

I saw it come up with the recent “controversy” over sigma’s feet and the intended asylum/straight jacket look. somehow the lgbt fans got dragged into it by some people. honestly I dont get the controversy when junkrat has been in the game so long without a problem. he and sigma even have similar idle animations.

1 Like

I still need to know HOW EXACTLY is Sigma NOT aware that he is being used as a mere weapon. Just makes absolutely no sense to me.

1 Like

Im thinking split personality that knows what he’s doing and the original main personality wondering why these things are happening.

That doesn’t really make much sense because there’s no implication of split personality anywhere in his lore. The reason he was detained wasn’t because he had some kind of evil split persona, but because he was delirious.

I’m also really hoping that his potential interactions with Talon won’t be all chummy chummy. I’d rather it be made obvious by the Talon members that he is just a weapon.

it seems kind of forced in the reveal trailer for him, but the imagery heavily implies his mind was split. there was heavy speculation for split personality or even 2 sigmas specifically because of that.

I feel like his reveal trailer was more of an art project thing that just looks cool instead of a straight up legit lore thing that we’re supposed to figure out.

Eh. I guess it was because they associate certain users on here with this thread/topic.

The entire ‘controversy’ was really just over the artist’s insensitive comment about the asylum look, aside from that there really wasn’t anything bad abt the character.

Cause gay people come in all forms. He is gay, doesn’t matter if has a partner or not.

Yeah, there really is no good way to phrase what they said. Honestly outside of that, Sigma’s debut has been pretty well done. I’m excited to get absolutely roasted by his players in the future.

Same here, I think it will most likely be handled the same way that Widow has been handled; most of her interactions with them are just about her “functioning” and doing her job, which is pretty consistent.

Actually, it really does. By not giving him or another male character a male partner, Blizz has effectively sidestepped actually showing a male homoromantic relationship. For the time being, at least.
Like, compare Lena and Emily to the depiction of Jack and Vincent.
A on-screen kiss and relationship versus barely hugging.
Also to that “gay people come in all forms” point; Jack is hardly new, especially in fiction. Masculine gay men are one of the more common depiction types. Steve Cortez, Captain Ray Holt and Sir Hammerlock. So that argument doesn’t really work.
Like, Rein could’ve been a ripped old man who could easily have been written to have a male partner. Hanzo, Lucio and McCree could also have been written with a partner. Jack’s story, as you said, is about him not being able to have a partner and find happiness. So, in terms of representation; he’s neither new, nor able to be in a relationship, and the relationship he was in has barely been shown.
Honestly, I see no upside to his being written as gay, and definitely none that aren’t present or better done by another hero.

3 Likes

Yeah… Jack being a loner who will never get his ideal stable GAY relationship is honestly not a good look. I get it, it works for him and this kind of ‘’ representation ‘’ is important too, not everyone has a partner, but it also works for all the homophobes who ‘’ don’t want gross gays forced down my throat all the time ‘’ because his sexuality is so so so so irrelevant to his current lore that it will never be brought up again.

And Blizzard knew this. Blizzard 100% knew this. This was all a calculated move.

This is why I need Vincent to be brought up again…

5 Likes

Tangentially on-topic but that new HotS character… 20biteen is serving me right.

Ring me when HotS releases an original gay dude with a boyfriend. They seem to be pretty rare in Blizzard products!
And I thought HotS was dead? But they’re still releasing stuff for it?
Or was it just the competitive?

Sigma’s skins are revealed and I have to say, I love the asylum and talon skins. I hope that controversy doesn’t ruin this.

While I think the dev’s specific remark was boneheaded, that skin looks to be Hannibal Lector based almost? Idk

1 Like

yeah it’s definitely hannibal lector based, but not the recolor of it. considering the controversy was more on “the public image of those with poor mental health” the controversy is going to be a problem with or without the initial comments. the skins might make it worse.

Now his skins?! Matko. And what controversy are you talking about? Nude feet? I think contro-feet-versy is just so small that we can ignore it.

I agree, it’s almost entirely about his feet and the mental asylum connections, which certain groups of the fanbase cant seem to let go. I worry it will actually get worse with his voice lines and skins revealed. it’s not that the people complaining are right, it’s that theyre loudest.

3 Likes