LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

I mean the same is true in most overwatch competitive on the ladder and I frankly still could give a rats bottom about OWL. Didnā€™t want it and likely will never be very interested in it. 4000+ competitive is only talking about the top 1% of the playerbaseā€™s experience, if that. I think itā€™s best to generalize as this is a game that everyone can play and everyone has the chance to become good at. Point in using QP as the example was to point out that thereā€™s never a shortage of people who will play DPS, its the other roles the game has to remind folks to play and thats the case across all game modes.

And truly, the optimal comp was discovered because of the prevalence of sniper meta, and from there it snowballed into being better than everything. So that was a case where a DPS centric meta led back into a tank/support meta. Itā€™s exactly what happened with nano meta into quad tank meta. Too much damage being done? How do you get the edge? Increase your teams health pool with tanks and no DPS will be able to contest.

And again, that just goes back to the fact we need a 2-2-2 lock. And then weā€™ll have to accept the sink into bunker and sniper meta for a bit.

2-2-2 lock would be preferable, yes. But I also think that Blizzard needs to figure out a way to include tanks and supports who arenā€™t traditional tanks or supports, aka barriers and healers. Hammond is a great example of a non-traditional tank, and Brigitte couldā€™ve been an interesting support if her direct healing would be something different.

It just goes to show how broken healing is if Blizzard is just completely unable to come up with a support hero who does something other than heals while still being a viable pick over a healing support. See what happened so Symmetra, she was a troll pick lol.

So the next character is an edgy version of Maui from Moana?
(I havenā€™t read the short yet)

3 Likes

basically yes, almost exactly.

Alyssa Wong wrote this one!

Mauga is so hot oh my lordt please let there be another hot tank

Also LOVE seeing Baptiste get the love he deserves

3 Likes

Iā€™m almost certain he has to be the next one!!!

Also

ā€˜ā€™ Mercy is in danger ā€˜ā€™

oh yay canā€™t wait for Genji to save her :)))999

1 Like

Loved the new short story. So much stuff to talk about.

First of all, itā€™s happening in present day so weā€™re moving the lore forward even more! Baptiste is great, Mauga is clearly the new tank hero and I love his personality and his relationship with Baptiste. Heā€™s the one who covered for him to leave Talon, thatā€™s so interesting and works for such a good and complex relationship and interactions between the two. Canā€™t wait to learn more, especially considering he looks Maori and it might bring us some information in relation to Roadhog and the Australian Liberation Front Roadhog was a part of. Pretty sure it could be similar to how Baptiste was in the Caribbean Coalition before joining Talon.

Sainclair being an ex-agent who worked from the inside to help bring Overwatch down blew me away as well. It has always been my suspicion that there were a lot of people from the inside, but we always kinda thought of Reyes or Moira, but apparently there were others, less known. It brings into question Reaperā€™s hunt for ex-agents, which is something Iā€™ve also been wondering about: he could be hunting agents that betrayed Overwatch (Iā€™m a firm believer in Reaper being ambiguously a double agent in Talon alongside Widow and Sombra.)

Speaking of Sombra, wow, that ending got me. Baptiste and Sombra really are very close, considering he has a direct encrypted line to her. And best of all, heā€™ll ask her for a favour to warn Mercy about Talon having Overwatch agents information. This further plays into the theory of Sombra being a double agent, as there are hints that she helped Jack track down Reaper and that she helped McCree get to Echo. So this is clear confirmation of Sombra being asked to directly help Overwatch (or at least an Overwatch agent).

Most of all, I adored the fact that Mercy is mentioned and given some prominence and description. I love the fact that Baptiste not only knows her vaguely, but has worked with her and remembers her fondly. I love how they confirm Mercy as a true field medic who is down in the dirt helping in the worst situations and I love the fact that Baptiste considers her as someone worthy of trust to contact and protect.

Hoping for a Mercy animated short next, seeing as she has been mentioned twice so far in short stories and that her response to Recall is apparently going to be important in the future. Iā€™d love a short that gives us Mercy lore and also unites some of the heroes, perhaps even confirms Sombraā€™s involvement in helping Overwatch.

2 Likes

I also think it did a really good job at making baptiste complex. He missed working with mauga in talon more than heā€™d care to admit because it was an environment where people supported each other, even if they were doing bad things. Mauga is pretty likeable imo, even though heā€™s ā€œevilā€.

3 Likes

These are so cuuuuuuute I need all of them!

1 Like

Theyā€™re all very adorable lol. Mauga and Nguyen would be welcomed additions as heroes.

1 Like

as cute as they are, I just dont think theyre worth forcing myself to watch 6 hours of OWL. theyre pushing that too hard on casual fans as it is.

Theyā€™re streamer sprays. I got all of them today just playing Seagullā€™s stream on mute while I played video games.

1 Like

oh ok, good to know, my bad.

I did the same thing except I forgot to login RIP but Iā€™ll be sure to do it correctly tomorrow.

Emo because I think mauga could be a red herring since Baptiste has sprays now that JUST have Mauga in them. I donā€™t remember if i said this here or not. Iā€™m still sad about it tho

To be fair, Brigitte was a spray before she became a hero. But yeah it is a bit annoying, but I also canā€™t complain TOO MUCH because I like surprises.

Mauga visually is one of the top tier things Iā€™ve seen yet in Overwatch. But, aside from that, I donā€™t see him being that interesting as a character. I honestly canā€™t. His ā€˜ā€™ where have the good guys gone, oh well, guess Iā€™ll join the rest and have fun being bad, killing people and junk HAHAAA ā€˜ā€™ thing is not very attractive to me.

There are morsels of his personality that I could see shine through. Heā€™s actually quite smart and pretends to not be. I feel like thereā€™s a twinge of similarity between him and Baptiste where talon wasnā€™t necessarily what he wantedā€“thatā€™s why he emphasizes that theyā€™re ā€œbad peopleā€. I liked the verbal tic with the word ā€œbuddyā€ā€¦ Him sparing baptiste in the flashback was neat too.

I guess it comes down to whether they purposefully made him the talon heavy to tease us or not.

1 Like

I just donā€™t really see it. Iā€™m just tired of aggressive war brutes. Why canā€™t we get calmer, friendly male heroes? Even Baptiste has that annoying snark, which seems to be a MUST HAVE for every single new Overwatch hero.

A lot of people want more Talon, but I really donā€™t give a damn about Talon.

Just need the 6 hour sprays anymore ugh. Then Iā€™m done!