LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

Thatā€™s also my issue with pride month. I like it, and it started as this thing where we celebrate the LGBT community, but then companies realised itā€™s easy money and capitalism took the pride month as a hostage so now I have to watch ā€œwokeā€ corporations trying to cash in on my identity while doing nothing whatsoever otherwise.

Blizzard at least delivered on their promise of LGBT heroes, even though their way of doing it was in the least offensive way possible and we could still point out the mistakes (especially regarding Soldier). So Iā€™m sort of lenient towards them, but I still think they should do much more before waving the flag around as being the wokest game dev. An LGBT charity would mean a lot, but as you said, actual LGBT content in a popular media would probably do much more long term for the gaming industry and community as a whole. Like, donating a lot of money to a charity is great, but having tens of millions of people see LGBT heroes portrayed positively will probably do more towards teaching people how to accept us and how to normalise our existence.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not even sure where exactly the money goes to in LGBT charities

2 Likes

There are some that go to aid in countries where you can be killed for it, and others helping homeless LGBT youth

3 Likes

Is it weird that as a straight man I enjoy non-straight ships and pairings?

no

20 charssssSSssssssssssssssssssssss

Not at all. Pretty normal to some extent

Goooooood that takes me back

Reason im farming

oh!! i can answer this actually

the money can go to any of the following depending on the goal of your charity

• legal fees (in cases like the ACLU especially)
  • housing costs
  • food costs
  • scholarships (my organization at my university would pay for housing costs for at-risk students whose parents kicked them out or posed immediate threats to their lives)
  • programming costs (do they do things like sex ed classes? what about lgbtq friendly housing events, do they offer free condoms or HIV testing?)
  • it can be applied to things like travel fees for those who are trying to get out of dangerous countries, and other fees in terms of helping out organizations within those countries operate.
  • if its a brick and mortar place, they have also taxes or dues (to a parent organization) to pay.

and so much more! LGBTQ charities and organizations have a wide variety of goals and services provided and are helpful no matter your situation or place in life, and if youā€™re able donating always will help someone.

2 Likes

Those are certainly nice things, but they better find a good charity then, because the BCRF wasnā€™t something I wouldā€™ve donated to because itā€™s not all roses when it comes to Susan G Komen.

BCRF is not affiliated with Susan G Komen.

1 Like

Oh, I thought it was. My bad.

I was wary of this too so I canā€™t blame you, but I gathered overall BCRF is fine to donate to. Which is fortunate.

Thereā€™s the ACLU, but thatā€™s very general. Thereā€™s also the Astraea lesbian foundation for justice thats very specific and has a lot of good press around it and how it doles out donated money. I was one of the heads of the spiderbyte zine and that was were we donated our (admittedly sad) profits toā€¦

And as others sad, BCRF has nothing to do with Komen and its monetization of breast cancer :slight_smile:

theyā€™ve started selling the blizzard pride pins. theyre supporting the Trevor Project.

1 Like

thats a good organization and a good cause alright :slight_smile: iā€™m happy theyā€™ve decided to sell the pins, at least, I was super jealous of not being able to get one :frowning:

2 Likes

AAAAA theyā€™re finally selling them this year???

1 Like

yes, they announced it on facebook.

Does it start tomorrow? Iā€™ll have to buy one esp if it goes to charity

I think it does, all the way up till july 31st according to the post. sadly I wont be able to, at least not with my current means. This is why I liked the mercy charity skin , so easy to support.

Itā€™s on sale right now, so Iā€™m smashing that buy button while I can. Usually I want to ā€œsilence, brandā€ some companies that benefit a lot from pride month but this one goes to charity so Iā€™m pretty hype

4 Likes