LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread 🏳️‍🌈

The only correct one here is mchanzo for placement.

Gency is 8th or lower last I checked.

1 Like

Yep, Genji’s most popular ship is actually with Zenyatta. Which isn’t too surprising.

4 Likes

I completely forgot about Genyatta oof. But maybe it’s because I’ve resigned from Genji ships officially.

Yeah, same here on the first part.
However shipping/fandom is just a big, huge constant mess.
I love this clip so much for that; Gumball | Playing Cupid | The Shippening | Cartoon Network - YouTube

Yeah, it’s true for shipping and fandoms as being a mess. I find it interesting because there’s a lot of patterns there that are just influences from overall culture and it’s often very visible that ships and fandoms either completely accept those patterns or they reject them. And then you have sections within ships and fandoms that behave completely differently.

I think a lot about shipping and fandoms in general has been largely devalued and ignored over the years. It’s being treated as childish and stupid, but I think it should move into a serious territory because treating it seriously will also fix many of its problems. For example, a lot of people think racism and stuff like that is fine because “it’s fan fiction anyway” and “it doesn’t hurt anyone.” But you have fans who do get actively hurt when a character of colour is constantly sidelined in all fandom creations. If this were happening outside of fandom, it would be seen as a serious issue with the media, but fandoms still get a pass. It’s the same for homophobia really.

And then you have people who understand that issues exist but don’t understand how to differentiate between them so you get random people saying that a ship is just fundamentally racist or homophobic, when in fact, only certain portrayals of it are racist or homophobic. If fandoms were treated differently, we’d be able to perhaps create better environments for fans where criticism and analysis are not only expected, but necessary. Fandoms create media and media affects people. It has to be subjected to the same standards because when we call it stupid or childish, we give people a pass that turn fandoms into a mess in the first place.

4 Likes

Overall I agree, but I think ultimately fandom will always be uncontrollable. Such is the nature of people.
I think it is ultimately up to the fandom to police itself, not media. Especially with how poorly media understands intricacies.

1 Like

I think the problem is that there isn’t a lot of canon relationships? Or the character in question isn’t interesting enough to invest in.

But people tend to relate to characters first before any superficial attribute.

1 Like

God, when was the last time Chu was part of a Q&A panel, heck when was the last time there even was a more extensive voice actors panel?? Even Blizzcon didn’t have one.

I want Chu to answer questions about Vincent and Jack.

3 Likes

i honestly have no problem with soldier being gay and i dont even have a problem with Tracer being lesbian like i still find her cute and attractive but i guess the devs may not wanted the lgbt community to be left out in a popular game but it does bring some interesting twist to the game with having Tracer being lesbian and soldier being gay

1 Like

I want to know what Vincent is like. Is he a Yin to Soldier’s Yang? Is he similar to him, is he a funny guy, is he a strict guy? Who is he? TELL MEEEEEE.

2 Likes

I will join you in your march on BlizzHQ, when’s the date?

In a surface way yes.
I’ve said this before, but it feels like they are about 5 years behind the curve when it comes to representation.
Having a actual on screen depiction of a mlm romance would be genuinely awesome.
As it is, it feels like lip service. Except not even that.
Tweet service.

1 Like

We go now. I’m tired of waiting. I want answers >:(

1 Like

I’m a bit on the eastern seaboard rn, rain check?

1 Like

Do you guys have any favorite canon LGBT characters or any characters you prefer to headcanon as LGBT?

Not really, that’s why I had high hopes for Overwatch lol.

2 Likes

I think that Steve Cortez was a very well written character, as is Kung-Jin and Sir Hammerlock. Korra, Tracer and Sam Traynor are all cool.
I’ve made it clear who I still headcanon in the OW universe lol. Outside of that, not much. I tend to be into games with little story otherwise, or if they have it its a RPG game lol.
I think Cap might be a fairly interesting character to have be Bi. But that would never happen.

1 Like

Bioware has done many wonderful bi characters (IMO) but in terms of gay men, a big ol’ meh.

I’m hoping Cyberpunk 2077, Greedfall and maybe Borderlands 3 will deliver some quality gay men.

Also interested in seeing how they handle Runaan and his potential boyfriend in Dragon Prince, or whether it’s going to be a flop.

1 Like

*Wonderful bi women
Kaidan in the game where Kaidan is bi, he is by default dead, on top of that he was ‘changed’ from straight to bi, which felt weird.
Cyberpunk 2077 has a lot of promise, and BL always has done ok. I haven’t heard of Greedfall.

Jaal is probably the best bisexual male character in any video game series ever though. Of course, there was the issue of being ‘’ straight ‘’ on release and it’s hard to dismiss that he was changed as well, but regardless, how he is now is easily the best romance I’ve experienced in a Bioware game.

I haven’t played Andromeda yet, so I can’t really evaluate it’s characters. But if you like it, fair enough.
There is a argument to be had about characters only being bisexual via romance, as opposed to on their own. But that’s a sticky situation.