LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

Yeah, thatā€™s likeā€¦ Not subtle at all. I mean, you can always just say itā€™s buddies going for a drink, but we know how the fandom will take it. I found it sort of cute and I donā€™t mind gency, but I do dislike shipping Genji with anyone while heā€™s still mentally unwell and a patient. Even though, is he still even her patient? We have no idea. If only we had more lore Mercy and her work.

Love the Hanzo intro though.

1 Like

(shyly hiding in the corner) If thereā€™s Gency lines, does that mean it can happen for other heroesā€¦?

1 Like

Gency has a power dynamic that makes me really uncomfy I guess

I got the clown skin.
Great. A character I hate dressing as something I hate even more.
But yeah, the even is more fun than Uprising, but not as great as Retribution, but that even had a great set up of being on a run-and-gun set up. This is more checkpoint-y, if that makes any sense.
And on the Gency stuff, mmmmmmmmm, not liking that.
Gency is probably the only ship I have a irrational hatred for. Like, I can get over doctor and patient, but it just feels so 7th grade.

Yeah, I totally understand that it can make people uncomfortable. And as with any ship, Iā€™m extremely nitpicky. To me, Gency can work only in carefully cherrypicked situation that requires a 100k words book of development and working out through issues that come with it and Blizzard wonā€™t do it.

On the other hand, people are just to quick to jump into shipping territory (especialy if straight). I can easily read Mercy/Genji thing as friendly ā€œyou owe me oneā€ banter in the same way Ana and Soldier banter about it. But we all know it will only be pushed into romance.

1 Like

Right now, outside of them saying that Angela had a big role in Genjiā€™s recovery/surgery, there has been no development of chemistry between them.
Like, itā€™s just been inserted imo.

Neither Echo or Sojourn is hero 31, confirmed by Kaplan. Also there are big plans for Junkerqueen, but on long term front, so probably not hero 31 either. Jetpack Cat is off the table, too.

So right now, hero 31 is a mystery. I think the Talon Omnic is a safe bet but weā€™ll see.

1 Like

Also, I feel like the only lore moment of this event that people are mildly interested in is the implications of Mercy x Genji. Nothing else. Uh, ah, wha, okay?

Well, now that they got that straight tomfoolery going, they can release more gay!

Ahh interesting how Jeff mentioned upfront who these new heroes are but I guess the mystery is Hero 31 still.

So we have:

• Echo
  • Sojourn
  • Junkerqueen

Iā€™m at least glad weā€™re gonna eventually get a black woman hero.

Still not interested in Echo or Junkerqueen oh at all

1 Like

It makes me kind of sad that we have to wait for another year for more lore butā€¦

I guess weā€™ll still get cinematic shorts and new heroes. Comics might not be a guarantee since last year didnā€™t had any.

Thereā€™s a lot of Angela and Genji banter going back and forth and some of it is funny and cute, but Iā€™m not glad that there isnā€™t much else between other heroes. Thereā€™s no banter between Tracer and Winston or Winston and Angela. In comparison with Retribution, itā€™s weak.

The ending to the event blew my mind, I donā€™t even know where to begin with that honestly.

But what got me the most? Genjiā€™s attitude towards Blackwatch and Retribution. He god damn hates BW for some reason. These voice lines just obliterated me:

Tracer: "It must be hard for us to gather intel with Blackwatch sidelined.
Genji: ā€œI wouldnā€™t know.ā€
Tracer: ā€œDonā€™t you talk to your old teammates?ā€
Genji: no answer

And:

Winston: ā€œWhat is capturing Maximilien going to achieve?ā€
Genji: "Heā€™s our first Talon lead since Venice.
Tracer: ā€œAnd whose fault was that?ā€
Genji: ā€œI had nothing to do with it.ā€
Tracer, incredulously: ā€œYou were there, werenā€™t you?ā€
Genji, jokingly: ā€œI was a bystander!ā€

Likeā€¦ Holy heck. A bystander? He treats Retribution as a complete non-issue that he wasnā€™t a part of at all. He takes no responsibility, he experienced no emotion about Blackwatch falling apart and yet he vehemently defended Gabe over murdering Antonio even though he literally doesnā€™t care.

And he doesnā€™t care about Blackwatch at all. He doesnā€™t care about his former teammates, he doesnā€™t talk to them, doesnā€™t know how they are, doesnā€™t care that they took the fall that ruined their lives (McCreeā€™s specifically), he just transferred to Overwatch where people coddle him more and where he can sit in Angelaā€™s office and drink coffee with her.

I actually got pissed off hearing those lines. It says a lot about Genji, really. Thereā€™s obviously something there that weā€™re not aware of, but to completely deny any involvement, responsibility and connection to a team and the members of that teamā€¦ Iā€™m actually speechless. Like, what have they done to him that he would just decide to ignore them like that? And to claim that he was a bystander in the disaster that was Venice? A bystander that had no qualms going in, following orders, killing people and defending an unlawful execution of an unarmed citizen? And after all that, he leaves Blackwatch and doesnā€™t even talk to them. Wow Genji. Blizzard, tell me what the hell happened.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

I feel like Junker Queen will be paired with a new game mode, some kind of tournament/arena mode.

2 Likes

I think you might be right because they always teased Hammond/Junkerqueen with that battling arena.

What lines are you talking about? I probably miss them while playingā€¦

Thereā€™s quite a lot.

Genji: ā€œThanks for helping me out earlier, Angela.ā€
Mercy: ā€œI do seem to be making a habit of saving you. Itā€™s a good thing I like you. Buy me a dinner when this is over.ā€
Genji: ā€œIt would be my pleasure.ā€

Genji: ā€œIā€™m watching out for you, Angela.ā€
Mercy: ā€œWell, itā€™s about time you returned the favour.ā€

Genji: "Iā€™m grateful for your conversations, Angela. I hope we may resume them when we return to base.
Mercy: ā€œOf course. Assuming you donā€™t find all my research talk too dry.ā€
Genji: ā€œI find it strangely assuring. Perhaps because you saved my life.ā€
Mercy: ā€œThe lengths I go to to find someone to talk to me.ā€

Tracer: ā€œYou and Dr. Ziegler are getting on well, arenā€™t you?ā€
Genji: ā€œSheā€™s the only one whoā€™s awake late at night at the base.ā€
Tracer: ā€œOh is that all?ā€
Genji: ā€œAnd Iā€™m the only one who can drink her coffee.ā€

Thatā€™s all I got so far.

1 Like

This kind of conversation could never happen between two male or female heroes.

Also Genji can drink now?

3 Likes

Yep, thatā€™s what bothers me.

Like, Iā€™m not even against gency (provided itā€™s not happening before present day and provided my highly specific circumstances are fulfilled). I donā€™t even think this confirms anything. I could literally read this banter in the same way Ana and Jack talk.

But itā€™s also highly suggestive, playing into an already popular ship and it would never go to this length for two men or two women.

And Iā€™m just reeling from the high and mighty abuse that everybody will endure over ā€œgency is canon, all other Genji ships are dead.ā€ As I ranted about in the earlier post, they even directly make sure that nobody even dares think about mcgenji even, because Genji evidently couldnā€™t care less about his former teammates, doesnā€™t talk to them and completely distances himself from the disaster that was Venice and that ruined Blackwatch.

And like, nothing is even canon. Itā€™s just the way itā€™s handled and the way the community will look at it.

1 Like

Hmm, I guess it can be interpreted both ways but it does touch the border of romantic too closely. Maybe Genji just appreciates Mercy for being a helpful friend?

I can see it like that, definitely. Genji is not exactly well, mentally and physically. Angela is a medical professional, being around her and talking to her is probably helping him. It could even be that she suggested that he go out and seek help elsewhere that led him to Zen. I can totally understand that Genji would find comfort in a friend such as Angela, someone who has the training and tact to talk to people in distress.