LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread 🏳️‍🌈

The strongest stereotype I can think of is McCree, really, imo. I actually hc Genji as bi for a while. I know he used to be a Playboy, which kinda goes bad for gay or bi but he changed a lot and is “a different man now”. And he doesn’t flirt. Whatever he said about chocolates to Mercy didn’t make it into the game, I’m pretty sure.

Saw a few people convinced that he was into Ana. You know, whatever his sexuality is, I didn’t see an iota of romantic chemistry between the two

McCree is the strongest stereotype, yes. That doesn’t somehow mean Rein isn’t. 2 drops of poison doesnt mean 1 drop is good.
And genji would be a stereotype against bi men in that he went from “Mr. sleeparound mcplayboy” to settling down. Its a bad bi stereotype for both men and women that we will “pick a side” and settle.

Well, my hcs changed since then anyway. I have a very strong bi hc now.

Who do you hc as bi?

I prefer not to say because it goes hand in hand with my other hcs and I’d rather not upset the people who don’t share them.

But it’s not Mccree.

Fair enough.
Outside of Jack, I hc Angela, Lucio, Gabe and Ana as Bi.

Everyone is bi until proven otherwise but Genji is bi, McCree is bi, Lucio is bi, Doomfist is gay, Hanzo is gay aaaannnddd Junkrat is gay. Yeah, that’s what I think.

3 Likes

Read somewhere an asexual Ana hc and thought it was neat. It’s also a reason why her marriage didn’t work out.

And honestly? I think it’d be hilarious if McCree was ace too, considering how many shippers fight over him.

1 Like

That would be hilarious, honestly. Mr Suave is not interested in getting into bed, that would be good subversion.
Ana would be interesting as ace, I agree.

McCree bi, Hanzo gay, Rein straight and completely open and comfortable.

I always picture Rein as the straight man that is completely comfortable joking in any way regardless of company.

That’s pretty much what I had, but I think Rein being gay would lead to more interesting story avenues, especially if he is married. Same reason after like a month I saw Jack being bi as opposed to straight.
And McCree being bi would be the least surprising reveal in the world to me. It’d be like calling water wet or sand coarse, rough and irritating. And it get’s everywhere.

Hey folks! Does anyone else watch Matt and Blue? They make me happy

I just wanted to share it with you since you the only gay folks I know :new_moon_with_face::two_hearts:

1 Like

Honestly low-key hope he’s not, for that reason. I hope Zarya is straight too.

1 Like

Same. TBH I think McCree should not have a stated sexuality in any case.

That’s a pretty big double edged sword. In regards to Zarya.

I know that most straight people immediately assume a woman is a lesbian the moment she doesn’t completely conform to the feminine ideals of beauty, looks and interests. Most people have assumed she’s a lesbian simply because that’s the only way they perceive non-straight women. Confirming her as such would play into that assumption.

But then again, avoiding that assumption directly harms actual lesbians. I cannot for the life of me name a single butch lesbian character in any media who is positive, confident, loud and proud about her identity and interests like Zarya is. I can’t name any bodybuilder butch character at all, let alone her not being treated as a background joke. These characters do not exist in the media. Our singleminded fight against stereotypes directly harms people who do happen to conform to those stereotypes and who never see themselves represented positively in any media because hey. Stereotype. Therefore must be avoided at all costs. It simply pushes the narrative that these “stereotypes” can’t be anything other than bad and anything other than jokes.

What we need to do to break them is not ignore them, but represent them positively and show they’re not one-dimensional comic relief cardboard cutouts.

3 Likes

Why does it have to be “surprising” for someone to be LGBT? Anyone could be LGBT.

1 Like

We’re talking about subverting expectations

Please no in-fighting within our own community. Why mock another lgbt person who genuinely sees these characters as their own?

What? I didn’t mock anyone. All I said that it would be quite humorous if Mccree is that flavour of LGBT, considering he is perceived as very flirty. PLus, ace people deserve rep too, rep that isn’t “secretly miserable” or “lonely” or “anti social”.

1 Like