LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

The worst one is the ā€œcheating biā€ stereotype. But I donā€™t really find that to be gendered

1 Like

But why is Jack necessary better than Rein, for example? Or Gabe? You could argue Gabe is a villain, okay, but you donā€™t seem to have any problem making a villain gay.

Rein is kinda a obnoxious flirt if hes bi. Which means he wouldnt break as many stereotypes as compared to Jack, who absolutely isnā€™t.
And gabe wouldnā€™t be bad as a bi male rep if Jack were, same situation with Hanzo.

True, but honestly that would be refreshing to me. A masculine gay man complimenting his female friend for looking lovely reads better to me compared to a old man desperately flirting with a old friend who is over romance.

Well, as a gay man, I donā€™t like when gay men in media are shown to be flirtatious with women, because to me it reads ā€˜ā€™ you are only a valid gay male, and you can only exist in media if you are the gay bff, and compliment women. ā€˜ā€™

Thatā€™s fair, but you gotta admit that Rein is not like that throw away gay character from the Killing Joke. Hes not the ā€œyassss sisterā€ gay man. What if Rein has a husband, that happy gay ending you want? Iā€™d 100 percent be down for that.

Rein isnā€™t obnoxious, heā€™s literally only flirtatious with Ana and in a very delicate way. And she seems pleased about it too. Compared to McCree who is all suave with everything that moves.

Also, how can he be good gay rep if heā€™s flirtatious with Ana?

I meanā€¦ Once again, not saying heā€™s terrible gay rep but I just donā€™t see how heā€™s better than Jack. Jack has never flirted with anyone, he hasnā€™t shown any interest in either gender, he could be any sexuality, from ace to pan and it would work. What works in his favour is him being so straight-passing, so itā€™s refreshing. Him being bi doesnā€™t really change much for better or worse.

Except maybe the fact that homophobes canā€™t dance their way around him not liking women anymore. Because you can bet your sweet headcanons, thereā€™d be people who would absolutely ignore the mlm side of him.

His comments are only flirtatious if heā€™s attracted to women. If he isnā€™t, the context changes.
And you just said why Jack is good bi rep. He does not flirt at all. And there have been several straight passing gay characters in culture. Meanwhile, most bi men arent even normal passing in our depictions.

But heā€™s not the only one that doesnā€™t flirt.

Hes the only one who doesnt flirt and isnt a explicit psychopath.

You mean Reaper? Doomfist? Hanzo? Hanzo hates everyone, by the looks of it.

Hanzo tried to murder his own brother and was/is the prodigy of a crime family. Heā€™s morally grey at best.
Again, this would be fine if a nonstereotypical and positive bi male representation was also included. Bi men need that kind of representation.

So wait, gay men can be villains, but bi men cannot? Also, Soldier76 isnā€™t exactly your best role model. Rein is much more of a ā€œgood guyā€ , if weā€™re looking for purity.

Iā€™m guessing because gay men arenā€™t portrayed ā€˜ā€™ evil ā€˜ā€™ or ā€˜ā€™ corrupt ā€˜ā€™ as much.

1 Like

Are they?? Iā€™d argue they are. Very much so. Source: every Disney villain ever.

Flamboyant, yes, gay, not really.
But nevertheless, flamboyance is a trait male villains often have, which is generally associated with being gay so itā€™s not like you are completely off the mark.

1 Like

They can, but again there should be balance. Bi male portrayals have been overwhelmingly negative.
And again, REIN FITS A STEREOTYPE.

Iā€™m sorry, I just donā€™t see it. I wouldnā€™t mind either way but Iā€™m happy heā€™s gay and not bi for the petty reason of homophobes not getting him as rep in any form.

Iā€™ve seen a bunch (blatant ones) going through the third stage of grief saying ā€œbut maybe he could be biā€.

I mean, that is a very petty reason, ngl.
And I have no issue with him being gay outside of the issue that now, bi men are going to get at best representation that is a stereotype.

I donā€™t really care either way. If he was bisexual Iā€™m sure Blizzard would be pairing him with Ana in an instant, though. Gotta shove that past gay relationship under the rug as fast as possible!!

1 Like

That would be gross as heck to me.
Like, what if he had two expartners, a man and woman.