LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread 🏳️‍🌈

Yeah I’m really whatever about the future of Overwatch in terms of LGBT characters. With that said my last hope is that Vincent gets more lore, as well as Emily and Tracer. You got all these LGBT characters, now do something good with them.

2 Likes

I’m trying to create my own character right now but I’ve always wanted to see a southeast Asian character. Please Overwatch. Even the fanmade concept of the Thai girl w/ beta fish would be good too.

https://twitter.com/brenden_seng/status/1096466766266392576

2 Likes

:eyes:

2 Likes

I noticed that they happened to make both poster stars of the game LGBT…Odd considering a lot of other heroes had a way better chance imo of being LGBT (Lucio, Hanzo, Moira) To me, that just seemed like it was clearly for advertisement and staged. Not saying Soldier 76 can’t be gay, I just think most never saw it coming since there were no hints or anything. (I am sorry but that Christmas picture? He clearly was NOT young there as he had white hair and bangs and young Jack has blonde hair and no bangs) and that is what is odd to me at least. Blizz at this point does NOT care imo (Not the devs, they may care, but the ones that run the place? Pfft multi mliiionaires that only worry about more money and most likely telling the devs what to do in the end with their game. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was them saying to the devs working on OW to make the other poster star the LGBT hero) They see this as an opportunist move to attract the LGBT crowd. They want something outta of it if they will do it clearly since they can’t afford bad publicity.

I want more LGBT heroes too but this looks nothing more than staged for the sake of trying to make the game bigger clearly. It’s all a sham with this and they are using the LGBT crowd as bait. Obviously they will take it, but sadly, I don’t see another LGBT hero coming any time soon and if so? I will be majorly surprised if it has NOTHING to do with promoting the game. I don’t like greedy corporate but that is what we are dealing with here. Money first, everything else later. It’s a real shame. I am glad that we got another LGBT hero, I just feel this was all a set up though with Soldier.

I think the biggest problem about this whole thing is that lore is: 1) slow 2) difficult to follow.

People have a hard time grasping what is going on, what has already happened, where to find cumulative information all at once, the timeline is confusing and updates are so slow that an average consumer can’t adequately understand which points are important and which are not.

Then we get these LGBT reveals and we have to spend more time explaining the basics of the setting than we can spend on actual characters. So it all feels meaningless. Like, my biggest issue with Bastet is that it should’ve followed Reflections in a month, not two years. Bastet should’ve literally been out in January 2017, a month after Reflections, to follow up on not just Soldier being gay, but the whole plot all-together.

As much as I often react harshly to people not understanding Bastet, I’m not surprised as the whole story definitely feels out of place as it follows events from 2 years ago and we have no idea on what the current timeline is. As in, when are Soldier and Ana doing their thing in relation to other heroes doing their things (which we don’t even know anything about). For example, what’s the timeline relation between Bastet and Reunion? I can’t tell. I’d have to go deep into exploration of lore to find out, and I’m heavily invested in lore and use it regularly for a gigantic fanfic. If those who are invested have a hard time following it, how can I expect a more casual fan to understand the meaning of certain reveals and information?

3 Likes

Yeah that Christmas comic with the picture, that was older Jack with a younger guy. It could’ve been his son… I don’t believe for a MINUTE that Jack was the one who was always meant to be gay, outside of that one Evel Knievel quote he says being changed to not be about chicks digging scars.

2 Likes

Oh yeah I forgot. Not everyone has the energy to look for lore information from tweets or examine maps that have super vague hints.

2 Likes

Exactly. like, I am looking at it again and that pic is clearly not a young Jack. Not saying it’s his son or whatever, but to me, it seems like they took upon that to act and say, ok, let’s make it him since we got him in that pic and we can go as far back as to say “See? There was proof! You just didn’t see it” as a cover for them. Now, if he was intended to make Jack gay, then why change him to being younger and not use him like in that pic? To me, that is odd.

h ttps://i.imgur.com/3UVzqw3.png

No way is that the same pic…

Yeah, that vague picture in Reflections is really way too vague. Likely a placeholder. I won’t go as far as to say they didn’t plan it, but they definitely didn’t plan it as well as they should’ve because that tiny photo wasn’t made with an adequate attention to detail.

3 Likes

That to me tells me something is up because there wouldn’t need to be a reason to backtrack like that. It is not hard to make his hair blonde in that pic. Strange they chose to make him blonde now.

Yeah, I am not saying that he wasn’t planned to be gay, it’s just with stuff like this? It makes it so suspicious and to me? My gut is saying that was a set up. I know, I have no evidence on this, but my gut says it aha That’s all I can say.

They could’ve at least given Jack a shorter hairstyle in the Bastet photo, I could’ve MAYBE bought that at least.

Though a thing to remember, Jack IS wearing the ‘’ Commando ‘’ outfit he wore in the army in that picture… thought it honestly looks like a son and his daddy going fishing to me.

But even him wearing his commando outfit in the picture isn’t much, because in-game, Jack is wearing the commando outfit as his older self, instead of his younger self.

2 Likes

There’s also a question of how much interaction there is between artists and writers and to which degree. We already know they admitted to making mistakes (that photo from Ana’s origin story where they messed up Torb’s arm) so it could just be a genuine mistake in direction of art in relation to story.

But yeah. Jack definitely has white hair on that photo and whatever the reason is for that, it doesn’t work in their favour. I’m inclined to say mistake or hastily drawn placeholder, but ultimately I can’t know for sure.

1 Like

Yup. Same feeling here. I just feel he was used because he was the other major head of lore and to make him LGBT would be great reception. Don’t know why it couldn’t have been Hanzo, McCree or Lucio but hey, they have to have a motive I feel since again, they are a corporate that thrives on cash and their stocks are getting reeeeeal low.

And it’s not just the white hair, but it’s the hairline, the hair length and his face, which definitely looks that of an older gentleman’s, at least compared to the person next to him.

1 Like

I don’t know if his reveal really HELPED Blizzard though.

What’s the principal difference?

Yes true, and here’s what gets me thinking. They just fired about 800 and I read from several sources that they were the “lower workers” of the corp. So, if they had THAT much “lower workers” then how much “major workers” do they have? Are you telling me they have little to none? I doubt this. OW should have easily had 50 writers on their on. To think they are still looking for more is astonishing since I was told no one from OW was moved and all of a sudden a writer’s position opens. It’s again, the major heads I feel telling them what to do, just like the decision being made to go mobile. Highly doubt it was there choice. In fact, I think it was a CEO that said all IP’s will go mobile iicr.

I feel bad that they have to be run like that. I feel their freedom to actually do what they want fam is very limited and that they don’t have as much created freedom as you think :confused: I feel if they did, we would have a good amount of LGBT heroes by now since we would have lore but apparently, someone is either telling them to not hire more writers or they do have writers and somebody is telling them “Nah, wait it out, nah wait it out. Nah, don’t like it. Nah, it can wait till next year”

1 Like

Hanzo, with the way his hair is and such and the piercings (mostly used in LGBT culture though anybody can have them, just are more prominent there from my observation), imo, can fit someone of LGBT standards as it looks like a way for him to break away from traditions and to “be who he wants to be” Hanzo gives me the feel of that he doesn’t want this life. He clearly didn’t want to kill his brother and Hanzo now left the clan. You can see he wants to be himself just from the way he is in the relfections skin. He went from “Strict” tradition to “Hair cut and percings” very big change.

Lucio always says “People are free to live as they choose” showing he could be a guy that advocates freedom for anything or could easily fit right in with the LGBT culture. He also hangs with Tracer and Lena as proven by the dialogue during WW and he seems very close to Lena who is a lesbian as you know. Lucio being LGBT or gay would not surprise me in the thinnest.

McCree. Well, I see him more as being gay than Soldier. He could be bi at most I would say but I could be wrong. I personally find McCree to be bi or gay and considering he never dated Ashe or liked her, there is room to say “Welp, he is gay” or whatever.

1 Like

Stereotypes are really boring, though. I think it’s good that Blizzard didn’t go with them.

I mean you can’t really say Hanzo, McCree or Lucio are stereotypically gay either.

1 Like