LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

agreed. given earlier seasons and everything leading up to it, youā€™d think heā€™d of ended up with keith or just alone. they promised not to force a romance out of nowhere and they still did just that. they broke a promise that had a lot of people hopeful.

Iā€™m really worried what Overwatch will do.

yepā€¦same hereā€¦voltron did its fans wrong despite the support it got from themā€¦i worry what overwatch will do.

that article summed up the whole thing very wellā€¦

Iā€™m honestly starting to think the Voltron staff did it out of spite for some unknown reason and didnā€™t appreciate its LGBT fans.

1 Like

klance probably, considering all the trouble and harassment they gave them. even making the news multiple timesā€¦but the article is probably right, and itā€™s a PR stunt. even though they had everything set up for it, they couldnt have multiple lgbt protagonistsā€¦even spent the last 2 seasons distancing the only possible relationship established for shiro.

I still have a strong feeling Hanzo is our gay hero. Because of his lack of lore progression, his lack of event skins (suggesting we may get more lore skins for him like Casual despite being in Winter). Just the overall vibe I get from him.

2 Likes

probably, though itā€™s unlikely to see him end up with an actual named character. everyone seems too afraid to do that in the media. maybe if we keep vocal and positiveā€¦but its hard to be.

Without going into detail, there are at least 4ish scenarios I prefer or seeing:

Hanzo/NPC - buying cake for his significant other for the holidays
New Hero - freedom in lore since unwritten territory
Soldier/Reaper - lore depicts their chemistry; should be together rather than separate like Soldier/NPC or Reaper/NPC.
Hanzo/McCree - Hanzo is paired with a hero he can get along with and we would already know who this person is.

I think Genjiā€™s lore development as itself seems fine without a romantic interest, but if they did, they may have already hinted it. Lucio is a little too similar to Tracer but acceptable. I donā€™t really see McCree/NPC because they kind of vaguely (intentionally or not) may have depicted his bisexuality with ā€œanother heroā€

2 Likes

iā€™ll always prefer characters i actually know over characters added as an afterthought.but i wish this kind of representation wasnt so rare and wasnt so argued against.

1 Like

Itā€™s tricky because, while I donā€™t see any problem with Hero/Hero, fans do unfortunately.

What did they do?

more like what they didnt do. characters are dead or married off to no-name randoms, nobody except antis are happy.as far as im aware, in only a few post credit scenes, they killed almost all of the ships and many headcanons.

I think the problem was that this new character had no prior information or hinting/foreshadowing.

1 Like

yeah, thatā€™s one of the problems. cant say its the only one thoughā€¦but its definitely one of them.

If someone presents a new character, they should flesh them out but they didnā€™t. At least Adam had some background but both were still not handled very well.

yeah. plus, those final two seasons had shiro not even acting like he did in the 6 seasons before that. they kind of changed him to less of a character. he has less presence.

Apparently the winter update only added one new character interaction; which is a continuation of Moiraā€™s voiceline towards Reaper.

2 Likes

also reaper got karaoke lines.

To be honest I just feel worried, considering what happened with McCreeā€™s Reunion short. Is Michael really hinting that McCree is our positive bi representation? It would work; if he ends up in a M/M relationship, it would be neat for us too.

1 Like