LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

Yeah, weā€™ve talked about this a lot and I definitely agree on most points.

At some level, I think he would be a nice opportunity, because weā€™re being properly shown certain things that would avoid the whole ā€œit was out of nowhereā€ and would also give representation to something thatā€™s so often avoided when making male characters. Theyā€™re always squinting, scrunchy faced, devoid of emotions, must remain masculine at all times, canā€™t ever show any form of flirting or openness to sexuality that isnā€™t creepy and predatoryā€¦ Itā€™s such a nice concept. Baptiste is such a nice, warm personality that also has a lot of depth and is very distinctly different from how male characters get to be portrayed. I think, on his own, heā€™d be fantastic as a positive male character who is also bisexual.

But as you saidā€¦ Thereā€™s the fact that when men do get to be like this in the media, theyā€™re always pushed into that stereotype and we never get anyone else. Those types are usually the only bisexual people in the work and they always have to get that ā€œflirtyā€ and ā€œopen to whateverā€ personality. Itā€™s such a shame weā€™re at this spot where, on one hand, thatā€™s nice and fresh, but on the other, it paints a very bad classical stereotype about bisexual people (men especially in this case).

I really wish I could enjoy the thought of Baptiste being bi and that theyā€™re not backing down from showing it, but at the end of the dayā€¦ It would be a flirty bi man. Seen it. Not helping.

Iā€™d be fine with it if it were handled especially delicately and also if we get more bi characters. Both are kinda unlikely. To be clear, I wouldnā€™t outright hate him being confirmed as bi, Iā€™d still think itā€™s good on some aspect (heā€™s a nice, good person, charming and positive), but Iā€™d wonder if thatā€™s it and if this is what weā€™ll be pigeonholed into forever.

As usual, the answer is: we need more representation and it needs to be diverse. For everybody in the community.

1 Like

I absolutely agree, and this time there is no but! (weird for me, I know) Iā€™ve tried to reword some of my points better. ā€œAverageā€ as opposed to ā€œnormalā€ and what not.
Baptiste is a conundrum, because he is positive in a lot of aspects, but those aspects lead to him being bad rep for bisexual men.

Exactly. Iā€™d be more frustrated than mad. Like, ā€œYou can do better than this.ā€

1 Like

Archives soon. Letā€™s hope itā€™s good.

4 Likes

Hey, thatā€™s right. I forgot. One of my two favorite events.

Generally spring-to-summer is good for Overwatch. New hero release -> Archives -> Anniversary/New map(?) -> Summer Games (blegh) -> New hero -> new animated short/new map(?)

Afterwards itā€™s completely irrelevant until Blizzcon, and again until new hero next spring.

1 Like

Oh nice, some cool information there.

Baptiste and Sombra met for the first time while both were working for Talon. Over time, they became good friends. Sombra likes to keep an eye on everything, but sheā€™s also looking out for Baptiste, even though he left Talon. Itā€™s always nice to see what her old buddy has been up to.

This is particularly interesting. ā€œLooking out for Baptisteā€ is an odd wording. It feels like Sombra is doing this out of her good will and not any potential malicious intent. Fits with the overall Sombra theory of her not being exactly a fully loyal Talon agent.

I also like this:

As heā€™s lately been assisting with humanitarian efforts around the world, heā€™s certainly familiar with Mercyā€™s recent work.

Iā€™d like to see Baptiste and Mercy interact. She doesnā€™t have any other professional in her field to talk to, besides Moira, whom sheā€™s not thrilled about and thatā€™s an understatement. I feel like Baptiste and Mercy could be really good friends and would agree on a lot of things.

4 Likes

I cannot wait until Baptiste comes out. I barely started doing competitive matches even though I should have started way long ago. I will try to prepare my Baptiste skills in the week before he is onto the comp roster. :slight_smile:

In more ways than one. :ok_hand:

7 Likes

Sounds like our next Archives event is Talon-based. With Sombra and Baptiste in the PvE line-up.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t mind that at all! But it does go against what weā€™ve been told Archives is. Since itā€™s supposed to be Overwatch Archives.

Then again, the event wasnā€™t even called Archives the first time, so obviously they didnā€™t plan for this event to be specifically about Overwatch Archives. Itā€™s a bit strange overall.

However, any lore event is fine with me. Talon Archives would be a good addition too.

1 Like

I do personally want one with Hanzo but if not him, maybe Symmetra or Zenyatta.

2 Likes

Us waiting for official Hanzo lore:

2 Likes

Itā€™s true lol. I just feel like they keep showing Hanzo in other things like HotS but it doesnā€™t really mean anything in the actual canon universe.

1 Like

Yep. Heā€™s more appreciated in the HotS universe.

I could add more skeletons also for Zen fans, those poor people have no lore whatsoever to work with. Symmetra, Lucio, Mercyā€¦ Skeletons for everybody.

2 Likes

Iā€™m always sad with how little lore progress they have done with Mercy and Lucio, especially given how popular they both are.
Biggest thing is that sheā€™s related to Torb. And even that was vague. And Lucioā€™s dad was in Vishkar, but we donā€™t know the capacity of that either except decently high.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, Iā€™m really not happy with them not giving lore to Mercy and Lucio. Theyā€™re legit one of the more popular characters and also given how they were big representation elements for the game, sometimes it feels like ā€œOh weā€™ll bait you in with them but never give anything else.ā€ Mercy is famous for introducing tons of new people to first person shooters but sheā€™s completely ignored as a character. Even often needlessly sexualised.

And Lucio is such an interesting hero, in a similar position with Mercy, who was also the first black hero and a male healer, but at the end of the day, we donā€™t know enough about him and his background. At least those voice lines that opened up the plotline about his father being a Vishkar employee, but thatā€™s such a cruel tease for 3 years of basically nothing. I wouldā€™ve preferred if they revealed that alongside the rest of this plotline instead of just leaving a tease and now we have to wait for who knows how long to see a continuation.

2 Likes

Hanzo (and Genji) have more lore than a lot of other characters. And their own movie (that is good).

Which character has the least amount of lore so far? I think Zen.

I agree, but I feel that the sexualization element is just fandom being fandom. I feel that she is just a very attractive woman in the canon, nothing really wrong with that.
But I 100% agree with you on Lucio.
This IV drip is heck. Hopefully it changes, but I sadly doubt it.

1 Like

100% Zen.
I remember Chu was doing a Q&A about the characters and they had to use a Fan Animation of Zen and Genji because there was so little animation outside of just gameplay lol.

2 Likes