Let's talk: Reinhardt

Reinhardt is my second most played hero and I used to love playing him so much, but right now he’s so frustrating to play for a number of reasons:

Old bugs like hits not landing but having sound and visual effects still happen;
Earthshatter not hitting everyone it should still happens;
Charge not hitting someone right in front of you or sucking someone into it still happen;
Earthshatter now has what seems to be a very high change to trigger the animation multiple times, either making you miss the ult or hit someone who should not have been hit.

These bugs are the ones I can remember on top of my head, because these are the ones that make my player experience while play Reinhardt horrible.

Then there’s the gameplay and for that I got a question: Have you guys ever played pinball?

If the answer is yes then imagine Reinhardt as the ball and add stuns on top of it, that’s a fair way to describe how it feels to play him right now.

I know other tanks suffer from the same “pinball issue”, but as far as main tanks go he’s the one who suffers the most in my opinion.

Orisa: has the bug while shooting that makes her move way less by knockbacks;
Has Fortify as an active ability.

Winston: Though he can be thrown around like Reinhardt, he has an escape option with his leap.

Reinhardt: has a shield that is 100% ignored by the 2 most powerful stuns in the game (Shield Bash and Rocket Punch);
Can fly more than a squishy if thrown around;
Charge usually doesn’t work to escape, since it’s very easy to interrupt or to be thrown around, works more like a death sentence in those spots.

NOTE: I know I’m not doing justice to the problems other tanks have, but some of those Rein has apply just as well to the others.

Solution for survival: Give Reinhardt weight or knockback resistance, just like Orisa when shooting, but when he has the shield up;
As for Charge, make it so he cannot be moved as much when using it, more than with shield up, but less than what it is now.

For me it doesn’t make sense that someone of his size (and most other tanks for that matter) can be moved so much by simple knockbacks like Soundwave or Rocket Flail (and that’s coming from a Lúcio main) while other heroes like Ana are much harder to move around for no good reason.

Shield tanks are made to protect your teammates at all costs (maybe with the exception of Winston in some cases), being so easy to displace just doesn’t sound right to me. Note that I’m not talking about complete knockback immunity, but a resistance and only when the shield is up, so kinda like a lesser Sentry Mode from Bastion. You can still displace him, just not stupid amounts like it is today. And if the shield is down, sure it can remain unchanged, would work a little bit as counterplay to these changes, since if the shield is down he’s unlikely to be protecting his team anyway.

As for the bugs, though I really hate to say this, I rather play his pre patch version than this one. He still had many bugs, but at least they were not so frequent (he even broke the PTR and had to be disabled as far as I know).

This is my own clip of the multiple Earthshatter animation bug.
Yes I was getting knocked back by Roadhog’s ult, but if you pay attention, as soon as I stop taking damage the animation still happens once before the actual ult goes off and it even has the sound effect as if it did hit the ground.

1 Like

It’s intentional. 20 characters

No, it is not intentional. The devs have stated that it is a bug.

A bug that’s been there since her release or?

In the same unfortunate way that moira’s healing was not intended to go through barriers, of which we knew from them for a very long period of time, orisa and dva are not supposed to have knockback reduction while shooting, by their own words.

I love Reinhardt but he’s no fun to play. Aside from his bugs, he gets tossed around like a soccer ball. I thought this was a 7ft man in some heavy armor, but he feels like a skeleton wearing aluminium foil.

His shield gets shredded so quickly these days, I often go from 2000 shield health down to 500 in 5 seconds.

Firestrike is his only ranged ability, and it’s on a cooldown, making him the only tank who can’t do much outside of melee range. We have so many long-ranged characters and Rein doesn’t stand a chance with a measly 100 damage every 5 seconds.

Charge feels buggy and more of a suicide than a movement ability. Not to mention, it has the longest cooldown for a movement ability.

And don’t even get me started on earthshatter…

1 Like

Rein is my main and this post is exactly why I stopped playing OW. Stressing on the fact that I get bounced around like a pinball from Hammond/ JR/ Doom/ Pharah/ Winston And let’s not forget the OP Brid who just pegs him from 30ft away + and any other hero that just taps him and he gets blasted 50ft back or in the air. He doesn’t feel like a tank.

1 Like

Does anyone really play him like a tank in the first place anymore? He honestly feels like a glorified DPS, not someone you stick with your team with to protect them.

Well I do, whenever I can at least, but it’s hella hard to do so I’ll give you that.

Not to mention that sometimes not only do I have to tank, but also do what the actual DPS will not: do significant damage and get kills.