Let's talk about the Mei in the room

She’s not a barrier buster, don’t use her for that.

It gives some of the longest CC in the game and penetrates, it doesn’t need to do a lot.

So can a bunch of others, not really a core problem and the fact it disappears after casing because ping is a much bigger issue.

You’re not using her wall right if you’re only getting “annoying at best” out of it, it’s easily the best part of her kit.

I don’t really see much of an issue with her right click aside from the harsh fall off which could maybe be toned down a bit but she has far more glaring issues a lot of which are bugs that I’d rather see fixed.

It won’t after 26 meters.

2 Likes

Well, how I see it, is Mei has no business trying carry. It seems to me that’s what you’re trying to do. Mei is utility. You pick her for DEFENSE and CONTROL. If you need CC? Mei. If you going against a Genji or Lucio or Tracer? Mei to lock them down.

A Mei’s job is to protect and run interference, not be able to do burst DPS.

Yes, sorry, I’d assumed it was like every other projectile in the game. My bad.

Oh I’m an awful Mei. I’m just going by what I’ve seen in the enemy Mei player’s, mostly being incapable of doing relatively anything when anything becomes dicey.

Hence the conversation about her ineffectiveness. She’s quite literally not in the tug-of-war game, she’s like an outlier that forces her way in, without much success mind you.

She’s incredibly effective. But like most supports/defense, needs a team to follow through.

1 Like

You may be interested in checking out the discussion in this thread: [Mei-gathread] Does Mei feels balanced and underpowered at the same time?

Lots of information and insight into Mei.

2 Likes

Mei works great against brigitte.

A well placed wall isolates the enemy tank from being healed by teammates, can defend teammates stuck in a grav ball, reduce impact of other enemy ultimates, etc etc.

We’re in a meta where nothing ever dies, nearly all DPS have problems, not just Mei. Briggs and Hanzo have to be balanced first.

She’s pretty good. I don’t know where people get the idea that she isn’t. She’s not a damage dealer, shes area denial and utility. Her wall is essentially on a 5 second cooldown and she can freeze multiple people.

2 Likes

Uh. Hate to break it to you, but Mei is actually weak to mobility. Contrary to what you would actually think. Anyone with good mobility can easily escape her Ult and her primary range with ease unless she purposely catches them off guard.

Her main strengths lie in freezing larger targets like tanks and cutting unsuspecting targets from their team with her wall.

3 Likes

Even glancing MB1 slow targets. That’s all you need to immediately reduce speed for squirrel-y targets. That’s the point of having her counter them. Slowing is great and isn’t a hard CC like Brig’s stun, but team needs to be able to prioritize. If team doesn’t collapse on correct targets, then Mei’s slowing/solid freeze is not being made the most out of.

i agree with this, but this is probably why people see mei as a troll pick and her pick rate being so low. She’s not a real dps and any other dps character can out damage her fairly easily so it doesnt feel like shes doing a lot bc of that low damage output.
A lot of that damage that’s being sacrificed for control that could be pulled off with other heroes is needed to win, or would at least help a lot, so people dont like having a mei on their team bc it feels like a throw pick.

I for one love mei and i hate when my teammates get toxic as soon as i pick mei (or instantly ask me to switch when theres 3+ dps even tho i picked first :unamused:) but she needs some help to be on par with other defense heroes.

1 Like

Something I think would be cool, though not really needed is if her left click made barriers more brittle and take more damage. If you hold left click on a barrier, it freezes over, but that effect doesn’t actually do anything, it’s purely visual. If it made the barrier take more damage, that would let her do her job (as an anti-tank hero) even better.

At the moment, she’s pretty trash against flankers (although, one shotting a Tracer always feels nice) because they can just run away before she can actually freeze them. She’s half decent at shooing them away for a few seconds, but she can’t really get rid of them.

Okay, that’s a fair point, but I still don’t think that can justify calling her an anti-flanker.

thats the problem with all CC v mobility in the game, characters like tracer and lucio with their seemingly endless mobility abilities are so hard to pin down with freeze (or other cc) so you might as well keep it for tanks until you need to use it on them

Its a bummer since stuns/ slows are the only ways we have to counter heroes like tracer but she can just… not get hit by them with a well timed blink or by staying out of range and using her overly generous fall off distance to her advantage

I mei-n her and she is honestly in a good place right now - aside from her ultimate that really needs some changes to actually be a danger to anyone.

1 Like

The only thing Mei needs is a more reliable Ult.

2 Likes

Agreed. People think others should only play ‘meta’ because it works. They are unwilling to work with other heroes whose kits are also equipped to deal with the same thing.

Hopefully after some re-tuning on some over-tuned heroes, we’ll again see more diversity in team composition. I’m not sure when that will be, but hopefully before end of summer. :frowning:

1 Like

I always thought this would be really nice and a unique part of her kit as another else makes barriers take for damage like this would, plus it makes sense that it would become more brittle and shatter like frozen things do. It could really help her out with brigitte too as mei should be able to handle her but generally has trouble

If I’m not the one playing main tank, there’s almost never a main tank.

At first I thought it was just my account, so I’ve been smurfing Hanzo, and it’s roughly 5 out of every 6 games with no tank.

The game doesn’t need more anti tank, it needs tanks that can do their job. Mei just needs to be either given damage, or made tankier. She’s sitting inbetween two roles, and she has no real purpose when this slot would be better served with a DPS or a Tank.

Mei needs a real toolset of denial of area, to actually allow her to play her role. She annoys, she’s limited range, she’s limited damage, and she relies on her other teammates to do the rest, which in most cases isn’t enough now.