Supports - Balance and the Perception of Skill

Greetings! I like analyzing things, so that’s what I’m about to do with a few numbers regarding the six support heroes in Overwatch. In case the word, “numbers” didn’t give it away already, I’m going to be talking about the balance of the aforementioned heroes… and maybe a bit of other stuff.

Let’s start vague. Over the past week, here are the Competitive pickrates of the six healers according to Overbuff:

Overall Support Pickrates
Hero Pickrate
Ana 9.80%
Moira 7.29%
Mercy 5.18%
Lucio 4.68%
Zenyatta 4.20%
Brigitte 3.52%

Given this data, there doesn’t appear to be anything wrong in regards to the balance of supports. While there is a large difference between the most-picked support and the least-picked support, none of these heroes appear to have oppressively high pickrates or pathetically low pickrates. From this set of data, we could conclude that the six supports are fairly well-balanced. We might also conclude that off-healers generally are less powerful than primary healers.

Let’s get less vague. Here are the pickrates of those same heroes throughout each rank:

Support Pickrates in Each Rank
Hero Bronze Silver Gold Platinum Diamond Master GM
Ana 5.11% 6.73% 8.48% 10.54% 12.00% 14.06% 13.00%
Moira 9.84% 9.96% 8.82% 7.16% 5.18% 2.16% 0.86%
Mercy 7.99% 7.51% 6.43% 4.74% 3.26% 2.42% 1.41%
Lucio 5.45% 4.19% 4.27% 4.09% 4.79% 6.43% 9.94%
Zenyatta 3.18% 3.31% 3.55% 4.26% 5.08% 5.43% 7.42%
Brigitte 3.48% 3.51% 3.47% 3.33% 3.44% 4.06% 5.62%

There are several things I want to highlight here. First, this data set shows us that the off-healers are well-balanced amongst each other throughout all ranks. In no rank does one of them have a pickrate greater than or equal to double either of the other two off-healers. It also shows us that the off-healers are pretty well-balanced overall when looking at their high-tier pickrates.

This set of data disproves the previous set of potential conclusions. If we isolate this set down to the very high tiers, where viability starts taking substantial precedence over fun in hero choices, we see that the three off-healers are more powerful than two of the three main healers by a long shot… which brings me to the main healers. Their pickrates really start to seem problematic at Diamond, and they only get worse from there. In Diamond, Ana has more than double Moira’s pickrate, and nearly quadruple Mercy’s pickrate. Moving up the ladder, this trend worsens until we reach GM, where Ana has more than 9 times Mercy’s pickrate and more than 15 times Moira’s pickrate.

It doesn’t take a mathematician to realize that there’s a problem here. Either Ana is insanely overpowered, or Mercy and Moira are terribly underpowered. A hero doesn’t hold a pickrate greater than 9 times the pickrate of their counterparts in GM unless either they are too powerful, or those counterparts are too weak.

Now, I’ve seen some people on this forum argue for the current state of supports to remain as it is, and usually the argument behind that notion is related to skill. The argument tends to be that “Because Ana is a high-skill hero and her counterparts are not, it is okay for her to be more powerful than them in high-tier play. If Mercy and Moira were more powerful, nobody would pick Ana because they offer more reward for less skill”.

This notion has merit to it. While the way it is being used is heavily flawed, the concern that a powerful hero with low skill requirements will overtake a powerful hero of greater skill requirements isn’t unrealistic. The problem is that the concern isn’t being used realistically in Overwatch’s current state.

I could argue against complacency with the current state of supports all day using theoretical arguments, but there is a better way to prove this point: Statistically.

First, let’s refine some terms into more workable parts. Generally, the phrase “high-skill” tends to be synonymous with “difficult to play”. Literally, no hero is difficult to play; anyone who can use a computer can select a given hero in the hero select screen and stay on that hero for the match, but I’m fairly certain that “difficult to play” is not meant to be said or taken literally. I want it to be taken literally for our purposes, so I think that a better terminology would be “difficult to climb while playing as”. If a hero requires more skill, then it will be more difficult to climb with them when playing as them. Likewise, we can refine _low-skill" down to “easy to climb while playing as”.

Before I continue, a quick disclaimer: In saying what follows, I am not in any way trying to insult, shame, or criticize players based upon hero main, rank, or any other personal skill/preference measurements.

First, let’s grab some stats from Jeff Kaplan himself:

The image showing the stats is missing because I can’t post images/links, even if they are quoted from someone else. You can click on the quote to see the full post if you like, but for your convenience, I’ll throw the stats in the table below:

Rank Distribution
Rank Playerbase Proportion
Bronze 8%
Silver 21%
Gold 32%
Platinum 25%
Diamond 10%
Master 3%
GM 1%

While this information is nearly 10 months old, it is worth mentioning that the distribution barely changed between March 3rd, 2017 (the only other time the distribution was posted by Blizzard), and February 20th, 2018 (the quote you see above). I think it is safe to assume that the distribution of players throughout the ranks today is approximately the same as the distribution given to us on February 20th.

What am I going to do with these numbers, you might be wondering? I’m going to do an unnecessary amount of bit of multiplication. I’m going to multiply the the proportion of Overwatch players in each rank by the pickrate of each of the main healers in that same rank. This will give me the proportion of Overwatch players who are in each rank and who play each hero.

For example: Ana’s pickrate in Bronze = 5.11%. The proportion of Overwatch playerbase in Bronze = 8%. The proportion of the Overwatch players who play Ana and are in Bronze = 5.11% * 8% = 0.41%. I will repeat this process for all ranks and all three main healers, and fill in the values in the table below.

Playerbase Proportions (Main Healers Only)
Hero Bronze Silver Gold Platinum Diamond Master GM
Ana 0.41% 1.41%% 2.71% 2.64% 1.20% 0.42% 0.13%
Moira 0.79% 2.09% 2.82% 1.79% 0.52% 0.06% 0.01%
Mercy 0.64% 1.58% 2.06% 1.12% 0.33% 0.07% 0.01%

Side note: This model underestimated Ana’s overall pickrate (the sum of all proportions should be the same as the overall pickrate) and overestimated Mercy and Moira’s overall pickrates. This leads me to believe that a larger proportion of the Overwatch playerbase is above Gold today than what is shown in the table provided by Jeff Kaplan in February. Just an interesting tidbit.

Anyway, I now have a yet another table of values. What can I do with it?

I can calculate the likelihood that a (insert main healer here) player will be at/above/below (insert rank here) with these numbers. For example, there is a 9.78% chance that a randomly selected Moira player will be in Bronze.

Let’s use this to calculate the probability of some other things…

The probability that a randomly selected Ana player will be in GM is 1.46%.
The probability that a randomly selected Moira player will be in GM is 0.12%.
The probability that a randomly selected Mercy player will be in GM is 0.17%.

Statistically, you are 12.2 times as likely to be in GM as an Ana player than you are as a Moira player.
Statistically, you are 8.6 times as likely to be in GM as an Ana player than you are as a Mercy player.

Let’s do another set of calculations.

The probability that a randomly selected Ana player will be in Silver or Bronze is 20.40%.
The probability that a randomly selected Moira player will be in Silver or Bronze is 35.64%
The probability that a randomly selected Mercy player will be in Silver or Bronze is 38.21%.

Referencing back to one of my earlier paragraphs, a “high-skill” hero can be defined as one who is difficult to climb with while playing as them.

So. If Ana is truly the “high-skill” hero people on these forums are making her out to be, if it is supposedly harder to achieve a certain benefit, and by extension, rank, when playing as Ana than it is when playing as Mercy or Moira, why do the statistics indicate that it is significantly easier to reach GM as Ana than it is with Mercy or Moira? Why do the statistics indicate that a player can cut their chances of staying in Bronze or Silver nearly in half simply by switching off Mercy/Moira and playing Ana? Why are players who pick Ana statistically more likely to be above the median rank than players who play Mercy or Moira?

Ana isn’t the monument of skill some people like to make her out to be. For the amount of effort she requires, she offers significantly more reward than the other two main healers. For a Mercy or Moira player to reach the same impact as an Ana player, they need to be significantly better than the Ana player.

“Skill” isn’t an integer. It’s a ratio. It’s the amount of effort put in against the amount of reward given for that effort, in both the match-to-match basis and the big picture throughout the ladder.

If I put 100 hours into learning Widowmaker on one account and climb from Gold to GM, and then I get on another account and have to spend 200 hours learning Winston make the same climb, Winston, is in fact, the more difficult hero. I needed to put more effort in as Winston to reach the same reward. Thus, of the two, Winston would be the high-skill hero.

If I had 100 hours to spend on learning Ana, Moira, or Mercy, with my only goal being to climb as high as I can in Competitive play, I would put that time into learning Ana; she provides the highest chance of reaching each and every rank above the median. If I spent those 100 hours on Mercy or Moira, I would have a lower chance of reaching any rank above the median, and I would need to spend more time perfecting my play as either of them to reach the same rank as I would have from playing Ana for the first 100 hours.

The argument that a powerful hero with low skill requirements will overtake a powerful hero of greater skill requirements applies today to Mercy, Ana, and Moira, but not the may many think. I see it most often applied backwards, because players seem think that the skill of a hero never changes (unless your name is Doomfist, but we’re not going to to talk about that here). In reality, because skill is a ratio that depends upon the effort and reward of a hero, power holds great weight in how skilled a hero actually is. The fear of Ana, a “high-skill” hero, being overtaken by Mercy and Moira, “low-skill” heroes, is blinding people from what is actually happening. Ana, the low-skill main healer, as shown by the statistics, has overtaken Mercy and Moira, the high-skill main healers, as shown by the statistics.

That is all.

14 Likes

I disagree on your thoughts that Ana is truly the low-skill of the three main healers. Mercy and Moira requiring more skill to reach GM doesn’t mean that they are harder to play; it means that they have lower skill ceilings or lower versatility.

Ana, when played perfectly, provides SO MUCH more to the team than Mercy or Moira could ever. She outputs almost as much healing as Moira and far more than Mercy, while also having two immensely useful utility options. Mercy has 1, and it’s cooldown is half a minute. Moira has 0.

Ana is far more vulnerable than Mercy and Moira due to her lack of mobility and reliable self-heals. She simply does more in a game than the other two, and high-skill players can capitalize on that potential. THAT’S why she’s picked in GM. Moira and Mercy have more safety nets built into their kit, and the trade-off is lack of potential and utility.

To sum it up, Ana, as a hero, is MORE DIFFICULT than Mercy or Moira. A GM Mercy or Moira requires much more effort to perform as well as a GM Ana; this does not make Ana a low-skill hero.

4 Likes

First, let’s refine what you just said: Ana as a hero is more difficulty than Mercy or Moira.

More difficult to do… what, exactly? To play? In that case, I could just reference back to this paragraph:

A hero cannot literally be “difficult to play”. “Difficult to play” is not literal. There is no challenge in just playing the game. There is challenge in being successful and climbing. “Difficult to play”, when transformed into its literal sense, is “difficult to climb while playing as”.

The stats show that it’s easier to climb while playing Ana; therefore, Ana is the easier hero in the current Overwatch.

And It’s not just GM we’re talking about here. This is any rank at, above, or just below the median. If a hero is difficult to play (or in the literal sense, to climb as), then that hero’s playerbase will have have difficulty climbing to higher ranks, and the vast majority of the playerbase will be at or below the median rank. If a hero is easier to climb with, or rather, if they are an easier hero to play, then a larger portion of that hero’s playerbase will be above the median. If we do a little more math, we find that 49.2% of the entire Ana playerbase is in the top 39% of all players in Competitive.

That’s not skill. That’s not balance.

2 Likes

You CAN’T buff individual healing. It doesn’t matter how much more or less certain supports are picked. Ana doesn’t need nerfs, she’s pretty balanced. However if buff any supports all you’re going to do is reinforce what’s already in the game and there is too much healing. Half the cast can self heal. When added with high tank HP, strong shields and several damage mitigation if you buff healing in any way you make DPS even less useful and enforce current trends.

Then is Ana too strong? Or are Mercy and Moira too weak? Or is damage too weak?

…Or is damage too strong? Or is CC too strong? Or are barriers too strong?

I have seen different players hold the affirmative position of every one of the above questions.

1 Like

There’s no such thing as difficult to play? What?

How many people COMPLAIN on this forum about having a bad Ana who can’t aim on their team? Who can’t position in a way that won’t get them killed by everything?

With people playing and not computers, a kit has the potential to be easy or difficult to learn. GM isn’t about diffulty, it’s about meta. The league cares even less about difficulty or even the GM meta

Personally I think the combination is too strong. Put a cap on how much healing a single unit can get.

There really isn’t a shield buster in the game, and with how much healing there is tanks can safely drop shields for a bit to recharge. Give one of our high dmg dps a shield breaker trait.

Or that Ana rewards good aim, something that GM’s have and bronze players don’t…

1 Like

That’s not what I said at all. Read the entire paragraph.

A hero cannot literally be difficult to play, because selecting a hero in the hero select screen is trivial for anyone who has used a computer before. A hero can be figuratively difficult to play, or difficult to climb while playing as.

And how many people complain in-game about their support player picking Mercy or Moira rather than Ana?

Those brackets will naturally play whichever hero grants the highest reward for the least amount of effort.

That’s just unnecessary. Should we put a cap on how much damage a hero can take as well?

There’s Sombra and Symmetra. Junkrat and Bastion also exist.

We have shield-busters. Whether they are viable or not is a different story… which we could then say that this perceived problem will be fixed by bringing garbage-tier heroes into viability.

1 Like

Guys I think this is more a “buff the other healers” not a “nerf Ana”

1 Like

ana isnt really all that hard to get value out off

you can pick her and hip fire and get value thanks to the large compensated hitboxes, even more so with penetrating full health allies

the whole “aNa taKeS skiLL” dosnt justify her predominance in pickrate over the other 2 healers

Brigitte is fine and Mercy still needs buffs thank god someone on the forums is spreading the truth for once

The only conclusion here its buff Moira because she is a queen and she deserves it

I don’t think I have stated my position either way, nor did I plan to unless asked directly, as that’s not the purpose of this thread. The purpose is to deliver information and show that the current state of supports is not okay. What the reader does with that information is up to them.

You are failing to consider that the choice of hero even in Bronze will for many players reflect what they feel will win. It’s not as universal as it is towards the top but, it happens a lot.

For example, Rein has a 9.65% pick rate in comp bronze this week. His QP pickrate this week for Bronze players is 5.66% which strongly suggests people that do not want to play him are playing him. Widowmaker has a 5.44% pickrate in QP Bronze vs 2.09% in Comp Bronze which against suggests that what people enjoy and what the team needs is different and many people are going with what the team needs.

Overbuff also likely has some sample issues at lower ranks as the type of players that would be places Overbuff can grab them may not be an accurate example of the lower ranks.

Ana is a fun character to play with absolutely massive potential (I’d argue that at the top of the ladder she is overpowered. However, in the OWL/Contenders teams her usage is not that high which suggests that she isn’t always overpowered beyond a certain skill level. I’d suggest that as player skill improves towards a peak the value of speed and damage boost grows and the value of healing drops ) but, getting their has certain requirements that lots of people don’t meet (She also benefits from teamwork that doesn’t necessarily exist at lower skill levels).

I should know. I’ve got 90 hours on Ana but, I am better on every other support than I am on Ana despite having significantly less time on the other supports than I do on Ana.

Sadly, the live client has broken win % but, last I had looked my win % on Ana was around 47%. The rest of the supports were between 55% and 65%. I do the occasional experiment on Ana but most of the time I don’t play her anymore because I just make my team lose.

You’ll likely find a fair % of the lower ranked players in competitive play that hit the same conclusion I hit in QP : My team loses more when I play Ana and since I do not want my team to lose I do not play as Ana.

If you look on consoles you’ll notice the insane Ana domination that is the top of PC is nowhere to be found. Ana has the lowest support winrate on XBL in Bronze, Silver, Gold, Plat, Diamond, Master and Grand Master. Ana has the lowest support winrate on PSN in Bronze, Silver, Gold, Plat, Diamond, Master, and Grand Master.

The primary difference between Console and PC Overwatch is the hardware.

I would suggest that Ana’s performance is the way it is because much of her effectiveness in the current kit is based on mechanics which is in part dependent on hardware.

If you look at her winrates on PC you’ll notice that she has the lowest support winrate in Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum which suggests that players of lower mechanical skill cannot get anywhere near her full value and thus have issues with her.

TLDR: People at lower skill levels also pick what they think is best albeit not at the same rate as those at the top. Ana is under-powered at lower skill levels and is overpowered at the top of the ladder. Her position in OWL/Contenders is not 100% clear as she is picked third most at the present over the last month.

1 Like

This simply illustrates the fact that players in Competitive are more likely to create semi-decent team compositions than players in Quickplay. Look at all of the tank and healer pickrates between Bronze Competitive and Bronze Quickplay; almost universally, tanks and healers have higher pickrates in Competitive than in Quickplay. The two exceptions to this are Zenyatta, who’s pickrate decreases by 0.02% in Competitive, and Wrecking Ball, who’s pickrate decreases by 0.3% in Competitive. Players are just more likely to pick DPS heroes in Quickplay.

The fact that Ana still has a decent pickrate in Bronze leads me to believe that realistically, Ana is not underpowered in low tiers. Seeing how well over 50% of the Ana playerbase is saturated just above the median skill tier, the stats lead to me to believe that a large portion of the people who played Ana in Bronze are no longer in Bronze.

That’s a lot of math oh gosh my head hurts

1 Like

I did most of it for you. :man_shrugging:

Hello, by the way.

1 Like

Hello!

What I meant was my head hurts just from reading all of that math :laughing:

1 Like

Imagine thinking that the support that needs to aim their healing/abilities while also having 0 mobility so they can’t escape from flankers/dive tanks is the easier than the ones that have escape options and minimal aim requirements to heal lmaooo

The forums are delusional as hell