Lets talk about "skill"

It’s simple really.

All the hero’s I play take the most skill.

And any hero that gives me a hard time to fight against takes 0 skill.

1 Like

what does this have to do with the thread?

“Skill” to me is a hero that has to outplay their opponents and requires team synergy to be effective. A “point and click” hero is not skill, congratulations, you have a mouse.

from what i noticed (dont play those games) dota and lol require a lot of skill actually?!

I like this list as it lists things that sometimes people don’t think about, like if I’m trying to DM someone as Dva, and I know I won’t have enough for them to make it around a corner, I will walk infront of them and turn around, that way I don’t take critical hits and they can make it safely around the corner. Or knowing when a good time to body block is(body blocking a nano’d winston in a door way.)

2 Likes

Flex player her and I have mained hero’s from McCree, Ana, Torb, Mei, Lucio, Hammond (every tank except D.Va actually) into Diamond.

What I think is people are heavily biased based on their own hero choices. A lot of heros are easy enough to pick up and get value from but are extremely hard to improve on. While others are really hard to pick up but easy to improve on.

As long as my aim is strong Ana is extremely easy to play. The stuff I can do with her is bonkers. Playing limited heros and doing it well like Torb or Symm is extremely hard. It takes a ton of skill.

Aiming a projectile is way harder then aiming with hit scan.

Improving with Moira is way harder to do then improving with Ana because Ana is mostly about positioning and aim. You have those and you will rock but Moira is a bit weirder with her resource management, lack of utility, and awkward Ult. Knowing what you could have done better is not so clear cut.

2 Likes

It’s very simple.
You see, my favourite hero doesn’t require mechanical skill, so therefore mechanical skill should be completely irrelevant. And heroes that do require mechanical skill, can’t also need gamesense, general awareness, cooldown/ult tracking, positioning or cooldown management.

/s

That’s the genuine mindset of the average forum user.
Not to say that i value either one over the other, but i’m definitely annoyed by threads and posts claiming that all you do is point and click as, say, Widow or McCree.

No hero requires no knowledge. But widow is less dependant on it compared to other heroes.

For example. If you put a diamond widow main with 100+ hours on widow against a csgo pro who has never played overwatch before. And told them to do a 1v1. After the first like 2 rounds the csgo pro will win every 1v1 because aim is so much more important then every other skill on widow.

1 Like

dont agree with this. but see, its totally subjective again :wink:

If only there was an in-game tutorial for this because few people seem to know how to do these.

1 Like

It s a shooter. Aim should be above all else. Players who can aim can master every heroes in the roster, players who refuse to work on their aiming skills should see that their options are limited to a few heroes.

Thing goes wrong when the second group of players demand easy ways to stand on even ground with the the first group.

1 Like

for me aim is / should be # 1 skill. i dont struggle with teamplay though since im a “natural teamplayer” and have good anticipation and logical skills.

if the hitboxes where adjusted towards csgo style but the other aspects were relevant, too… would this still be a playable game?

But that’s not how the game works. The game doesn’t consist of just Widow 1v1’s. There’s 6 people on both teams, with various weapons and toolkits. You need to have a deep understanding of every single one of them to maximize your value, and minimize the enemy’s.
You have to track ults and cooldowns on Widow just as much as any other hero. You need to utilize good map awareness to maximize your effectiveness, and general game sense to know when to get agressive and claim more sight lines. You have to minimize the sightlines on yourself to those who can harm you. You have to be warry of flankers and their positions, just like any other hero.

It goes way beyond just pointing and clicking. I shouldn’t even have to bring this all up.

1 Like

The problem I have with that is why make heroes that don’t require aim if you’re supposed to stop playing them after a point. I mean fall in love with junkrat and than just stop using them? Its really easy to say, if you get good, just use widowmaker over soldier/mcree/ashe, but when you prefer soldier/mcree/ashe. Why should widowmaker just be a better choice no contest?

No, improving as Ana is easier because there is actual room for improvement.
Moira has a very low entry level, but also a very limited skill ceiling.
There is a much bigger difference between good and bad Ana’s than there is between good and bad Moira’s. Moira needs more room for a higher skill ceiling.

1 Like

Honestly this is part of the problem, certain heroes are just very limited in their skill expression. Mercy’s ultimate removes all skill expression, and than at the same time people say Mercy doesn’t require skill so she should be trash. It just infuriates me.

1 Like

Pretty much highlights the problem with aim fetishism. Glad the game doesn’t work too much like that anyway since you’ll get the farthest with a good mix of aim/ gamesense rather than one or the other. However the hitscans specifically have that kind of issue.

1 Like

There are still a lot of choke, map terrans, comps that favor Junkrat, Mercy over hitscans and Ana. Your object is to win barrier war? Junkrat trump over every other hitscans. Your objective is to contest high ground and stay mobile? Mercy all day every day. But you can’t expect Mercy to trump Ana in a heavy tanks line up or Junkrat winning fight over open space against snipers. At some point you will have to broaden your skills too

Aiming projectiles.
I respect projectile heroes, it’s harder than hitscan.

1 Like

gamesense is the most important skill in the game

some heroes require more mechanics to be utilized but doesn’t mean anything as far as how the game is played.

sure mccree is harder to master than moira but she doesn’t instantly kill heroes on the enemy team, its a trade off for being deadly. if he wasn’t hard to play, he would be a bit broken

making moira as hard as mccree doesn’t change much other than making her less picked