Let's Bring it Back Everyone! (Mercy-MEGAthread)

I guess Mercy needs another Megathread so I’ll just change mine. Here is the fix that someone has come up with that would make Mercy more impactful and fun to play as a hero.

This is the fix that would help better Mercy as a hero. She has lost her true identity which is all about saving people. The most heartbreaking thing as a Mercy player is flying above and watching your team as they get ripped to shreds by the enemy team and not having any impact to try and save them. When the enemy is finished tearing through your team you have no choice but to fly back to the respawn area and while you are flying back you are saddened by the fact you couldn’t do anything to help them or bring them back for a glorious second chance. Please hear the Mercy cry for help! :frowning: :frowning:

Valkyrie would be an effective E ability because it can be used situational. Whether you wanted to engage with Damage Boost use it for some extra heal power or go battle Mercy it’s better off as an ability. 5 seconds active 20 second cool down.

• Unlimited ammo for the Battle Mercy Moths
  • Initial Beam target gains full benefit of Mercy’s staff
  • Chain healing from initial target gets half the amount. Gives Mercy players some Beam prioritization.
  • Beam range reduced from 30M to 20M
  • No uninterrupted passive healing
  • GA range increase still kept
  • Speed on Live is perfect for the ability

GA momentum buff “bunny hop” kept.

Resurrect becomes ultimate

• Ultimate can Resurrect upto 5 people
  • Allies need to be in LOS of Mercy in order to cast Resurrect
  • Blockable by barriers
  • 15M radius from Mercy’s position
  • 1 - 1.5 second cast time. The time it takes to say “Heroes Never Die”
  • After cast of Resurrect uninterrupted passive healing will be activated for 5 seconds/can be Invulnerability/can be Damage Reduction/can also be Health Restored
  • Increasing the point amount needed in order to gain Resurrect as an ultimate would also compensate for the increased healing and damage boosting from her ultimate.
  • While in Resurrect cast time players are still able to use GA freely

The hero is fixed/diverse/impactful/engaging and FUN.

Here me out while I explain why I think she should be this way.

Toning down Valkyrie into an ability would best fit Mercy. Having many different options to use her ability, whether that be defensively (Healing), Offensively (Damage Boosting), Reactively (DPS Mercy), gives the player flexibility in her kit. More options means more plays means a fun character. Currently live Valkyrie you have this option but it gets boring real fast just because the ultimate is very long and it doesn’t have a real impact to an ultimate fight. Usually the team will get bulldozed by multiple ultimates even if Mercy has the healing beam on her team.

I know you don’t want Valkyrie to directly buff Resurrect we can see that by the latest nerfs, or we bring back the horror of Mercy 2.0. So having them independent of each other is what the character needs, as you can see by Live version of Mercy she’s pretty balanced that way where Resurrect doesn’t correlate with Valkyrie, (But if Resurrect was used during Valkyrie she has the ability to fly while Resurrecting) so they are independent of each other but using them together can buff each other.

If we look at the proposed argument about having the initial beam target have Full healing/Damage Boosting, and the surrounding chain healing will get half doing the math it would look something like this.
Initial Beam Target Healing:
60HPS * 5 Seconds of Valkyrie = 300HP (That’s on par with Moira)
Surrounding Beam Target:
30 HPS * 5 Seconds of Valkyrie = 150HP (That’s on par with Zenyatta)
So she wouldn’t necessarily be broken. It would boost her output of Healing (Which she is the Main Healer of Overwatch). That being said… Mercy switches between Healing and Damage Boosting so you would never get that full amount of healing anyways.

So now let’s look at the other parts to Valkyrie I proposed.
The beam target M range reduced:

• Mercy wouldn’t be able to fly into the skybox and be unkillable
  • Would bring back the momentum Mercy players loved flying from one hero to the next.
  • Having the range increased by only 50% more will force players to utilize GA and the momentum she gets from pushing spacebar more to avoid shots.
    The uninterrupted passive regen
  • This is the thing players have been complaining about. It makes her unkillable especially since shots barely do damage from that far in the sky, and the regen makes it nearly impossible for her to be killed.
  • Mercy would be able to be shot down in Valkyrie, forcing Mercy players to be smarter with positioning and aware of targets she can use GA too.
    The shorter active time:
  • The problem with Valkyrie is that it is LONG and BORING
  • Valkyrie does bring a new dynamic to her kit which is cool and the ability for Mercy to contribute to a teamfight, which is what she was lacking is good for her.
  • Having it on a shorter duration like 5 seconds and up every 20 seconds will allow players to be flexible on when they should use it and how they use it.
  • You won’t get bored because you will be more active during the fight and since the passive regen and the nerf to beam range you will need to be more proactive with positioning and who you target with your beam.

This will make Valkyrie more engaging and fun for the hero. Keeping the extended GA range and free flight, would benefit Mercy players positioning wise and let’s Mercy be independent as well as team reliant.

The GA momentum buff “bunny hop” should stay since it’s very fun to use.

For the Resurrect ultimate this is why I proposed what I did:
Line of Sight:

• This counters the Hide and Seek Mercy game completely
    Blockable by Barriers:
  • It would work just like any other DPS ultimate, if you are erasing kills it should act the same way as getting them, and her support ultimate counterparts are blocked by shielding so Mercy shouldn’t be an exception since it is pretty powerful if you pull it off (with the exception of Ana, Moira and Symm) like Eeveea said on his stream “Mercy is a ball of exceptions” so let’s try and avoid that.
  • DPS can’t complain that it is unfair especially since it would work the same way as getting kills.
    Cast time:
  • This is understandable, DPS should have a way of countering it before it gets pulled off. Just like you have a chance to counter a DPS ultimate before it gets pulled off.
  • The cast time wouldn’t be awful if it wasn’t attached with a slow
  • Old Resurrect felt like it didn’t have a cast time, but if it went something like Lucio where it was like.
  • Mercy player pushes Q --> Voiceline --> (1 second) --> Resurrect
  • Lucio player pushes Q --> Voiceline --> (1 second) --> Sound Barrier
    It would become a lot more fair to every player.
    Passive Regen upon casting:
  • Players hated her being invulnerable, but if she had the uninterrupted passive for 5 seconds after casting her ultimate, she could still be killed, it would just be harder for them to do it. Mercy is punished because she needs to wait for her team to come back so in the meantime while she is waiting she should be compensated with the uninterrupted passive regen to stay alive.
  • I do however think the invulnerability isn’t that bad for her. That it wouldn’t be much of a problem seeing as the above nerfs would effect her survivability so she could be rewarded with a surviving tool.

Having it this way would bring the impact Mercy is lacking. It would make pulling off a Resurrect more fulfilling since u can get more than 1 person. It would be impossible to use if Mercy players weren’t actively in the fight alongside her team.

Valkyrie on the other hand can be used in many different situations making it really diverse and fun to use. An ability should follow the same format as what I described.

Let’s take a look at Zarya:

• Bubble can be used aggressively to engage, it can be used defensively to disengage and reactively to defend herself when she gets surprised or even stuck with a Tracer bomb.

Let’s take a look at Ana:

• Sleep Dart can be used offensively if it lands on a target, it can be used Defensively to sleep a flanker hunting her down, or reactively to shut down an ultimate.

If it follows that format it will make for a good ability, and Valkyrie can become that perfect ability for Mercy and will help her become more teamfight focused.

Resurrect needs to go back to an ultimate but it needs to have some penalties attached to it. Something that it was lacking before Ie. LOS requirement and Blockable by Barriers. It wouldn’t feel great if McCree was able to shoot you through a reinhardt barrier during his ultimate would it? So we need to take into perspective the frustrations that the enemy team faces when Resurrect is used. Making the ability more skill oriented would increase the skill floor of the character.

This is how I have been envisioning Mercy ever since her rework was announced.

I will do anything to get the hero that I fell in love with back and balanced. Mercy was the main reason I fell in love with this game and the sole reason why I still continue playing the game. Some Quality of Life changes to Mass Resurrect and an ability that could function in multiple ways is what Mercy needed to make the hero balanced and fun.

I don’t want to take credit for this idea but I stand by the creator of this post! Hopefully, you will give this a chance. So we can once again feel impactful!

54 Likes

81 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Feedback Thread Continued] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018