Let’s fix Bastion, Mei and Reaper

A 50% decrease in spread for Reaper’s primary fire is way too much.

They reduced the spread of Sombra’s Machine Pistol by just 10% a while ago, which made a huge difference, and you think that a reduction by 50% for Reaper would be a good idea?

McCrees combat Roll, Tracers Recall, and Reaper Wraith and a bunch of ultimates all reload ammo, i dont understand y Meis cryo doesnt.

Bastion’s tank mode doesn’t give him extra armor anymore… they took his 150 instant-applied armor, and replaced it with 75 effective health that’s applied after a 1.5 second transform time…

As for the overheat, I wouldn’t mind it, but how long is he allowed to fire for before he starts hurting himself?

Really? Why\would they do that? I get that Bastion has Ironclad, but still.

Wow. It’s been so long since I’d actually played him that I forgot they did that.

As for how long it would take to reach full overheat meter, I’d say about 5 seconds of nonstop firing?

1 Like

I think that giving Reaper an increased movement speed during his Ultimate would make an already powerful Ultimate too powerful. Death Blossom is an amzazing Ultimate, and, in my opinion, it needs no changes. However, the rest of his kit certainly does.

Your suggestion of a reduced spread is good, but like I said earlier, a reduction by 50% is way too much.

I made a really long and in-depth thread with some of my own balance change ideas specifically for Reaper. I hope you could check it out! I love playing as Reaper, and therefore, I also love discussing balance changes for him (and any hero, for that matter).

That is his Ironclad… it was somewhat fair when he had 35% Ironclad (that’s roughly 150 health, maybe a bit more), but when they reduced Ironclad to 20%, they did that to Tank mode too, which cut it down to 75, which pretty much makes his Q a suicide button unless you do it pretty far around a corner and waste a second or so getting to the enemies…

As a compromise, I think that Bastion should get 100 armour, instead of the 75 health, over the duration of the transformation animation.

At the moment, he’s at 10. Before the rework he was at 6.67… 8 would probably be fair (that’s what I gave him in my “overheat rework” concept. That gives him enough bullets for a Rein and Orisa shield and enough spare damage to kill one of them.

I was initially going to put it at 18 instead of 10. In coming to the conclusion of halving his spread angle, I was comparing him to the other shotgun heroes. Him and Roadhog are tied for the most spread at 20.1, and the second lowest spread angle in the game is D.Va’s at 4.15 degrees.

I’ll admit, I’m not particularly good with estimations. I low-balled a bit too much on that one.

2 Likes

Eh, I just like doing math… I have no idea what I initially estimated it at, but I came up with 8 seconds (effectively 240 ammo) after a bit…

2 Likes

Wait, D.va’s spread is 4.15 degrees? Nice… Bastion’s Sentry mode spread is closer to D.va’s than it is to Orisa’s. Heck, it’s closer to D.va’s than it is to Bastion’s Recon mode spread.

Is this factoring in my damage ramp idea? Or is this just infinite ammo with a delayed self-damage penalty? Just want to make sure we’re thinking the same thing.

Oh, that was for mine… not sure what your damage curve would look like… keep in mind though that damage calculations use integer division (I’m pretty sure), so any decimal points would just be truncated. So 5.99 damage is actually still 5 damage.

Like I said, I’m not particularly good with estimations, but I’m thinking it’d scale up to 20 damage/shot, or 600 damage/second. I’m not sure if that’s too much or too little, but it’d certainly give some reward to the risk, as well as help him shred barriers that much more easily.

An alternative idea I had was that instead of damaging him, it’d simply force him out of Sentry mode if his gun got too hot, and then he’d have to wait until Sentry mode was off of its literal and figurative cooldown before popping back into it again.

20 sounds fairly reasonable to me assuming that’s towards the end of the curve and he won’t be doing that much for too long…

Here’s my idea for it if you’re interested. It does kinda what you were suggesting, but it gives the bonus damage to Recon mode instead of Sentry, and starts to make Sentry slightly worse as it heats up.

But now that I’m thinking about it more, this doesn’t really solve his core issues… What he really needs is better accuracy. Having a high damage doesn’t really do much for you if you can’t hit anything with his (literal) shotgun spread. All he really needs is to be able to reliably put out damage. It doesn’t necessarily need to be as much as he did before his rework, but it should be consistent…

Hmm… What if he had reduced initial spread, but then it gets worse as the overheat increases? Having better spread would definitely help the burst fire playstyle that the overheat would encourage.

He’d have lower-but-reliable damage with burst fire, but he’d also have higher-but-unreliable damage on overheat.

I thought about that, but then I thought it would probably be a bit too powerful… Having it be a smooth curve would probably be a bit too complicated, but having it as increments would leave him at a good spread for far too long… Like over 2.5 seconds at basically Orisa’s new spread, but with about twice as much damage.

I also thought of tying his damage to the heat level, but that kinda eats into his job as a barrier buster. Maybe that’s not such a bad thing though since Recon would get extra damage from it as well…

Having more spread wouldn’t matter too much against the giant hitboxes that barriers tend to have, but I can see it becoming an issue if he takes damage or is forced out of sentry mode the second he has max overheat.

To help mitigate that, how about giving him a second threshold on his overheat?
The first would be how long he has until he reaches max overheat, the second would be how long he can stay at max overheat until he’s forced into Recon mode. If he stops firing for at least two seconds while overheated, his overheat meter is immediately reset (possibly visually/audibly represented with a release of steam).