Let my teammates know I'm streaming?

Is it appropriate to let one’s teammates know you are streaming? Or should I just mention it off hand? I’m somewhat new to streaming and want to know the etiquette involved here. So far it’s rare for me to have viewers (as I said, I’m new to it) so I figured it wouldn’t matter that much if they knew or not. I also don’t want to seem like I’m advertising like, “Everyone watch my stream and follow my channel.” I’ve never asked anyone to follow me, not even in my streams. If they want to follow my channel they will. I know I’m kinda all over the place with this but I would really appreciate feedback on this subject.

1 Like

I personally would not do it. As they can say inappropriate things on stream or use it as an accuse to get you in trouble. However if they seem trustworthy and friendly then I am sure it is alright. Otherwise I would keep it to yourself. As I am sure you do not want to make toxic players aware of your stream.

I would also definitely not tell the enemy as they can use your stream to stream snipe.

4 Likes

I wouldnt say it.

And pls dont be one of those who share their twitch link everywhere/have it in their name.

You wont get popular/more followers like that.

8 Likes

I don’t think there’s any particular etiquette, I’ve seen a lot of people on both teams advertise themselves. Most won’t actually go and follow you, but there are some (like me) who will go and give someone a quick follow to help them out, since anyone who’s tried streaming knows how hard it can be to get those initial follows. Without advertising yourself, it’s virtually impossible to gain followers unless you go the bot route and pay for followers to get yourself above other people to hopefully get noticed. I wouldn’t do it every game, as you tend to get grouped with/against the same people during game sessions and it might annoy people enough to report you (even if it isn’t directly actionable). Maybe the more “appropriate” method is to make a video compilation and post it on some forums/reddit or something, but even then I think you’re supposed to stick to the streaming subreddits, and aren’t allowed to advertise yourself on the overwatch subreddits. GL, if you’re on twitch I’ll give you a follow, though I probably won’t actively watch, just a heads up.

2 Likes

Posting links ingame is automatic report for me.

If someone cares about OW streams and you are worth the watch, they will find you on the respective platform.

5 Likes

The worst is when people change their names to ttv(InsertTwitchNameHere)

2 Likes

First off why would you stream overwatch? You will run out of content before you get a decent following.

1 Like

Just post your twitch at the end of the game and leave.

Usually, people don’t want to hear anything about it. Anyway, good luck with the streaming.

I personaly don´t like to be on a stream. I´ve seen too many toxic streamers just roasting random players for their skills - not interested. So it´s maybe even better, if I don´t know about people streaming, so I don´t get anxious. But when I see names with “TV” in it, I am always like “get this game done quickly” mindset… :woman_shrugging:

This seems to a bit harsh…

3 Likes

Usually the way I see people do it is put TTV at the end of their username.

With the rest of the username matching your Twitch userID

Which doesn’t necessarily mean you’re streaming, but it does indicate you are a streamer. (And passively advertises your channel)

Just change your battle tag to “Imstreaming”, ez

To be on the safe side let them know and they can make the choice to leave the game/lobby if they don’t want to be on a stream.

There’s some slippery slopes when it comes to streaming others. One of it is consent that plays a big part legal speaking and the other is how the streamer can make some one out to be all in one go. Be careful how you present them because it can bite you. There’s enough of cyber bullying when certain streamers stream for the porpoise of slender some one for profit and sent people after them to harass them since they know their screen name. Also, some streamers trick players to give out personal information so the whole web can know about it.

Learning how to stream safe and not to do is the safest you can be. Always remember any streamer can be hold accountable for their actions in the court of law. Streaming is no different than recording some one meaning there is cases on the matter. Big tech doesn’t do their job properly when it comes to streamers. Research to know how to trend carefully and ask experts about it. The rest is still unknown zone meaning anything can happen even though its grey.

Every streamer does it and for a reason, it works.

I would report you if you do that. It is spam, tbh

1 Like

Yo what’s your stream name? You on Twitch?

Nah. They would most likely (not always. There are actually good people who don’t mind) tell you not stream when they are in your team.

I agree with the idea of just not saying anything. People will try to act normally without knowing about it. However, it might not be bad for Overwatch to do a twitch integration. Discord does this where you can know if someone is streaming or not. A person has to sign-up for it.

It is literally what is called spam.

1 Like

Could be a bad idea for a couple of reasons

First of all, they could ghost you and your team.

Second, a person on the enemy team might try to sabotage your stream cause he’s salty. It’s a possibility, not that everyone on the enemy team is a bad person lol

Third reason is not because of the enemy team, but by your teammates in voice chat… imagine if they start screaming the N word while you’re streaming.

That’s a big nono.