Leaver suspension too fast/broken - NEEDS CHANGE

I hit Play. Chose Comp. Waited.

Game popped. Loading screen. Rendering device error. Game crash.

I have an SSD so I was back in the game in under 30 seconds.

Game loads. REJOIN MATCH. CLICK. “Searching…” Play.

SUSPENDED 10MIN. WHY! That was WAY TOO FAST!!

Oh yeah, I’m down 50+ SR now and lost an endorsement level! THIS IS SO UNFAIR!

3 Likes

If you leave a comp. game within the first minute and a half the match is cancelled 10 seconds after you leave even if you make it back in time.

This is to prevent abuse since on the server side it cannot tell the difference between you leaving a game, having network issues, hardware issues, or you intentionally unplugging your modem/router.

It only sees a disconnect and has no way of knowing why/how it happened.

3 Likes

There’s no legitimate reason or excuse for how this is set up. This was such a crap show right now and what was lost was not right. This wasn’t fair to me at all.

I feel. I am banned from season 12 because of the stupid internet connection crap.

It is a limitation of hardware and it is the only safety measure to discourage abuse.

Don’t like that someone on your team picked Sym.? Easy hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE find the service running your Graphics Card, End it, get an error that crashes the game and its the same result you just had.

You had a legit issue, but the server cannot tell the difference without some VERY invasive software monitoring your actions on your computer that may or may not be illegal.

1 Like

Punishing players because some sleaze ~MIGHT~ abuse the system isn’t right. I was climbing again. I was doing WELL. Now I’ve lost a ridiculous amount of SR I worked for and an endorsement level.

TOO MUCH WAS LOST FOR WHAT HAPPENED.

1 Like

There is no /might/ to it.

They would and this system is put into place because people have abused every system in past games.

You’re better off overcoming this set back and climbing again. I’ve lost well over 500 SR to disconnect issues in my Overwatch Career because my internet is shoddy (I play the game tethering from my cellphone for internet due to where I live not having other options).

But despite the setbacks I still climbed from Bronze to GM across several seasons.

Whining and complaining about lost SR that will not be returned will gain you nothing.

Buckle up, calm down, and get back in there and reach a new career high.

Doesn’t matter. The better thing to do is punish those who obviously abuse after thorough investigation. Stop trying to defend this crap system and poor thought out policy.

As I said before, there is no legal way for Blizzard to know the difference.

All the server sees is a disconnect. Not the reason. They cannot know WHY without some very malicious software tracking what you are doing on your computer.

End of story.

1 Like

Stop trying to make the game vulnerable to horrible people who will ruin the game and throw. As Faylensol said, Blizzard has no legal way to investigate, so the only change available would be to take the penalty away. Have fun then

The auto kick is bs. I joined my groups discord and almost got the headset blown off my head because they had the stupid rhythm bot on and in the 15 or so seconds it took me to do something about it, I was kicked.

Someone wanna explain to me how in the hell 5v6 is in any way better than a swift afk?

1 Like

Rejoining a game without penalty is only possible during certain phases of the game and within a timely manner. If you leave a game either during the pre-game or during the first minute of the game, the game will automatically cancel (remember the 10 second rule does not apply to the leaver, but as a warning to other players that the match will cancel). You can rejoin the match during the initial hero selection screen if you are lucky enough to quickly reconnect though.

Otherwise, you can only rejoin any-time after one-minute of match time has passed up until the match completes. However you only have two minutes to do so without penalty. If you rejoin a match after two-minutes, you will still automatically be marked with a loss an be penalized with a -50 SR cut and a ten-minute suspension. This rule ensures that no one can abusive the leaver system by attempting to return to a match after deliberately leaving in order to avoid such penalties. Furthermore leaving three or more times in a single match will result in an automatic penalty. If you fail to return to a match by the time it ends normally (regardless of match result) you will be penalized.

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Fartbiscuits, if you are getting the Rendering Device Lost error, that means there is a malfunction with how your graphics card is working with Overwatch. I strongly recommend that you stop playing any further Competitive Matches and begin troubleshooting to resolve this issue. The tech support forum has a handy guide which resolves most RDL errors here:

Crashing or disconnecting is frustrating, but understand the leaver penalties works to help discourage bad leaver behavior and to discourage players from continuing to attempt to play Competitive if there is a known technical issue. If you need further help with the RDL errors post in the technical support forum where players like myself or Blizzard Support Agents can help out or start a web ticket.

Tbh not really. It just ensures that the person that got disconnected or whatever happened will sure as hell not rejoin because why the hell would you come back and try to help your team win when you’ll lose 50SR and be penalised either way.

The game feels it’s fair to end a match because a team is at an unfair disadvantage if it’s 5v6 in the first 2 minutes but after that it’s totally fair and doesn’t give a crap. Makes sense to me.

1 Like

No thanks. I have an nvidia card and play hours on end w/out incident. this was the very first time I have seen that error and most likely will not jump right to “oh what’s wrong with my hardware?” over the game itself suffered a crash due to it’s own failings.

Anyway a person should have more time to rejoin. It doesn’t need to be minutes on end but currently the amount of time allotted is too little and the policy is too harsh. It could be tweaked and still serve it’s purpose.

Back in the day the game would be in a semi skirmish mode while waiting for more players. Do that for a minute or so while waiting for a person to rejoin, and if they don’t, offer the others the option to requeue instead of just dumping everyone.