Latency issues for 4 weeks now

Hello

For the past few weeks, I have been experiencing very bad latency issues. It will go up to 200ms-600ms, sometimes even higher, completely at random. It’s making the game almost unbearable/impossible to play, and I’ve heard from others who are experiencing similar issues. I’ve even seen streamers encounter the issue while their stream connection was otherwise fine.

I’ve tried the following to fix it:

• Reset router (multiple times)
  • Scan and repair (Results said no issues)
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Overwatch
  • A system restore
  • Updated drivers
  • Deleted and reinstalled my network drivers
  • Release/renew ISP and flush DNS

… and still, the issue persists. This only occurs on Overwatch, any other online game or any service that needs to be connected to the internet runs smoothly and without issue. I’ve double checked just to be sure and used cmd prompt to ping a website and it says there’s 0% packet loss. When I use Blizzard’s Looking Glass tool with Overwatch selected however…

4 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2999ms

Like I said, the problem only occurs in Overwatch, it’s completely random, and I’m not the only one I know having this issue. Any help is much appreciated, I just want to be able to play the game.

There have been some authentication issues over the last 4 weeks, but not server problems. If you’re seeing 100% packet loss in that test it means Blizzard can’t reach you through your ISP’s network.

There will always be people with connection problems. Simply saying there is a problem could mean their WiFi isn’t stable, or they live far from the server locations.

That isn’t relevant when testing this because every website, service, and game will use a different route between you and them.

Typically, you need to use a WinMTR to diagnose connection issues. Instructions are pinned to the top of the forum. Please follow those steps and post that test for troubleshooting:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I ran the WinMTR test and followed the instructions for Overwatch. I hope I did it right, here are the results.

There does seem to be some packet loss and high ping throughout the ISP’s network. The most packets we can see being sent are 339, but after the ISP nodes, not all 339 packets reach Blizzard (that’s how we know they were dropped). I recommend consulting the ISP with these test results to see if they can make any adjustments to repair the connection path.

I was told nothing can be done.

I guess that’s the end of my Overwatch career until I switch ISP’s.