(Solved) Lag/disconnections from in game main menu only

Hi, i seem to have an issue that only affects Overwatch, i have lag in the game menus, such as main menu, waiting for a match, etc, now my way to get around that was to turn on skirmishes, since when im in the actual game, skirmish, comp, qp etc, i no longer get the lag, but the lag also causes my internet as a whole to lag, since i notice when im waiting for a game in the main menu, opening loot boxes, checking out hero skins etc, my discord will get real laggy real fast, but will stop once i enter a game.

ive looked around online to find a solution but have not been successful thus far. All of my drivers are up to date, i tried changing my connection route in the past when i had issues with multiple games and it fixed everything except Overwatch issues. I would post a trace route, etc, but i do not want my ip seen publicly. While this only affects me sometimes, It lately has cost me about 100 sr this week alone, as ill dc as it finds the game, and not be able to get back on fast enough to rejoin it.

I’ve also had 3 dcs mid game since the whole everyone lagged out of that 1 game thing that happened a couple days ago, 2 of which i reconnected instantly so no real harm was done, the third one cost my team the win sadly as i wasnt able to heal them while dcd on the push.

If anyone has any suggestions i would really be thankful.

With any connection issue, staff has requested (in the stickies) that you provide a WinMTR:

WinMTR instructions (click to expand/collapse)

This data request is for players connecting to NA or OCE realms. EU players can post their data in the EU forum for troubleshooting.

Share your results in a reply:

1. Click the “Copy Text to clipboard” button after you’ve finished the test per the instructions.
  2. Paste the text in a reply, then highlight the pasted text and click </> on the post editor.
  3. Break any links by adding a space before .com, .net, etc.

That is fine and all but i dont run into the issue when actively playing a match, so i would have to leave the test on while sitting in the game menu till it happens, and it happens randomly, ive gone 2-3 weeks without getting dcd from the main menus and other times its happened 3 times in 1 sitting. i have Bell Canada, fibe plan, with a home hub 2000, i have heard that the 2000 and 3000 have these issues and Bell does not have a new modem for me to use so i seem to be stuck.

Edit: the lag it causes to other things such as discord is a constant however, again while in main menus only.

Can you run HWMonitor and take some screenshots of the app window, then upload them to Imgur and provide the links here?

Important: Do not copy the text data and paste it here from HWMonitor, screenshots of the app only, please.

links can be added by encasing in ` marks

like this

Since im not able to do that info for you for a few more days as im not at home, ill type the exact issue and hope anyone else whos had this happen can offer me advice for when i do get home.

While on overwatch, even with every other app closed on my pc, i will get lag, on the main menu, hero gallery, custom games menu, loot box opening, and while waiting for a game but not put into a skirmish, i DON’T lag at all inside the training area, vs bots, quick play, skirmish, comp, and spectating custom games, i also do not lag at all playing any other blizzard games.

while i have discord open, in those menus, other people become rebotic very often, so whatever this main menu lag is, it is affecting my entire internet when it happens.

I am on Bell fibe with the home hub 2000. I have heard the home hub 2000 and overwatch dont get along, but i am hoping it isnt related.

Hello Total :wave:

In addition to gathering the network test and temperature panels Nicole mentioned, I would recommend trying Overwatch with limited programs running in the background. As you said this affects your Discord as well as the game, there may be something else (or combination of things) running that’s interfering with network processes in an unforeseen way.

Closing Background Applications

A test for malware or other potentially unwanted programs would also be recommended, as these can interfere with normal software and network behaviors.

Security Software

Best of luck in your adventures :slight_smile:

i have everything i can think of except my antivirus program disabled, and sometimes discord/battle net app, while i game, the first thing i did check was if i had a virus or not and it came out clean, i made sure my antivirus didnt interfere with my games at all as well, i use malwarebytes and windows defender as a combo, both are up to date.

i do think it has to do with the modem im using as ive seen other people with this issue have the home hub 2000 or 3000 from Bell Canada, or maybe its the route my connection takes to get to the main menu servers for overwatch i really dont know at this point and wont know till im home sadly.

would the looking glass program blizzard have work in this case? i really dont want to download 3rd party software but i will if theres no other option.

The Looking Glass test shows outbound data from the server, as it travels from us to you, but it is only part of the picture. It doesn’t show us how well the data is received, or how healthy your connection is to the server, which is usually where issues lie.

If you’re uncomfortable downloading the WinMTR tool, you can try a traceroute and pathping with Windows’s built-in commands, but the winMTR is overall more informative than those two combined, so it is preferred.

Running a Traceroute

Running a Pathping

I have narrowed it down to my modem, so i will be replacing that asap, huge thank you to you all for the help. You may close this now