Kiriko Trained with Hanzo and Genji

Yet… Hanzo is like 40, and Genji is 35. So if she’s “early” 20s… Just seems kinda unrealistic considering the level of discipline that would have been forced on the Shimada’s.

Just curious…

10 Likes

And Junkrat in “The Wastelander” who looks the same as ever is no older than 15, given that the Queen ruled for over a decade.

9 Likes

We are playing a game with a talking monkey and a Japanese man who fires a spirit dragon at his enemies. Don’t think about it and it all makes sense.

1 Like

What a Cop out answer

6 Likes

Don’t ask questions, just consume product.

• Good idea
6 Likes

I don’t have to cop out of anything because I don’t care. This is a game made for children, it’s not Red Dead Redemption 2. It doesn’t have to make sense.

Good. now go and say the same thing to the fiction of wow, starcraft and diablo about how long it took them to have narrative retcons: none of them will tell you “less than a decade of existence”.

2 Likes

They went through training in their teens and twenties which would make Kiriko a newborn up to age 10 or so. She has memories and experiences with them, then less interaction going forward but is still the teacher’s kid for the Shimadas.

1 Like

The lore claimed they trained since they were boys. And knowing that ninjutsu starts when the babies basically start walking…. Seems like they overlooked the cultural elements of ninja history.

1 Like

Maybe 24, she looks 4-6 as a child with Genji possibly being 14-15 and Hanzo being early 20… that’s my best guess.

Kiriko’s mom was forced to train the Shimadas. This isn’t school, people train their entire life to master their art and Genji and Hanzo were no exception to this. A young Kiriko would follow a boy-like Genji who had bigger wonders of the world around him. For Kiriko Genji was the mentor she needed in order to define her own spirit.

Though the Shimadas are older, Kiriko wasn’t only trained from a very young age, her mother was also very much tougher on Kiriko than she was with the criminals she was forced to train.

1 Like

That’s a lot of assumption considering Asian (specifically Japanese) conservative values.

• Sojiro was extremely conservative
  • The entire concept of the story is inconsistent

Its the lore… Literally

1 Like

Conveniently written AFTER the original authors moved on.

• But yeah, tHe LoRe

My guy, if you don’t like the lore then go argue with Blizzard. I literally answered your ridiculous question using the information we already have.
Get mad… Idgaf

Forced? What do you mean by that?

“But when it was clear my soul longed for the sword and I excelled at kenjutsu, the Shimada chose me over all others as their swordmaster.”
source : [CORRESPONDENCE] Post for Toshiro Yamagami - News - Overwatch

She seemed quite happy to work for the Shimada ( even if they were criminals, they are not like the Hashimoto)

It’s her hursband, Toshiro Yamagami that is held hostage by the Hashimoto and is forced to make weapons for them. And Asa had to do what they tell her to for the safey of her hursband.

Maybe you got the Shimada confused with the Hashimoto?

Nothing says that Kiriko considered Genji as a “mentor”, unless you can source it? He was more like a cousin or older brother since she was considered “family” in her biography :

Kiriko was treated like family, with Genji being especially fond of the young girl. They shared a love of mischief, filching sweets from the kitchen and pulling pranks on anyone too stuffy to appreciate their humor. Genji taught her the ins and outs of the Shimada Castle and even introduced her to the local arcade.

3 Likes

The Shimada clan are criminals… No one just willingly trains criminals when your family are respected warriors…

Did you read Yokai?

And also : Asa family were not a family of trained warriors. Her family was taking care of the Kitsune shrine. Only Asa took the way of the blade and didn’t follow her mother footsteps.

3 Likes

And also one of the most respected establishments within Kanezaka, if the way people talk about them in the lore is anything to go by. Even if they had a hand in the criminal underworld, they also provided a lot of support for the regular people of the area and much needed political stability that under the Hashimoto clan appears to have disappeared.

The clan may have been criminals, but they’re also essentially local royalty who have been in power for generations. To just say that ‘they are criminals’ is to ignore the complex relationship that the people of Kanezaka have with those who protect their way of life.

People wouldn’t be lamenting their downfall if they were horrible people.

3 Likes