Just asking, why does the Overwatch Team hide nerfs under "Bug fixes"?

Fair enough - I work in IT and even programmed for a time, so I understand your post - the problem is when a bug is literally years old… it is accepted de facto as a feature at that point, and when you finally change it… it looks more to the community as a nerf (or buff) than a fix. Just bear that in mind when you are considering the hit list for bug fixes… years on for bugs is just not cool… and leads to a lot of confusion for folks.

You’ve got a PTR, on which every hero is being tested and more or less tuned before release, which for sure generates tons of data for the development team.

What you are stating in simpler words is that the development team has serious quality control issues, because if the QC process would work, those bugs would never ever have gone live like they did.

2 Likes

I think a large part of why many people feel these are nerfs is because they went unaddressed for so long that they became part of how the character is played, for better or worse. I know Moira’s bug in particular was listed as a known issue ever since her release, but it seems not everyone bothers to read that. IDK if boosting Hanzo’s ult was ever acknowledged as a bug anywhere, and until that particular fix came through I assumed it was intended.

she could do that until the “Bug fixes” to mercys interaction to hanzo

1 Like

Tom,

Thank you for the replies.

In regards to Dragonstrike, the patch notes read as follows:

"Mercy

Fixed a bug that caused Mercy’s Cadeceus Staff and Cadeceus Blaster to appear missing when using quick melee and weapon swap simultaneously
Fixed a bug that allowed Mercy to damage boost certain abilities (e.g. Hanzo’s Dragonstrike, D.Va’s Self-Destruct, and Junkrat’s Steel Trap)"

Does that apply to Supercharger and Nano Boost and it’s simply undocumented, or do those ults still apply additional damage to those ults listed in the patch notes?

Still, we are doubtful on the true nature of Mercy’s Damage boost “bug fix”, the plot thickens.

Hmm… I love bug fix. Genji “fix” deflect, now mccree can thoughtlessly to throw a flashbang and without any problems to stun, because they did not fix the bug, they just reduced the deflect. I’m not an expert, but it seems to me that this is a nerf.
But running on the wall is not fixed, i love that.

1 Like

Explaining behavior does not excuse behavior. Simply restating intent does not alleviate frustration from those who are making this argument.

1 Like

Nanoboost and Supercharger no longer effect Hanzo’s Dragonstrike. How is that possible?

Mercy not being able to damage boost it is understandable, but not allowing other ULTS to affect it?

Now Transcendence counters THREE ults, Grav + Nano/Supercharger + Dragon.

Because if it was publicly announced…

Grabs a pitchfork

There’d be hell to pay.

Blizzard:

Not to be rude, but many of us have played video games before. We know exactly what bugs are. I am completely fine with the fact that Mercy’s ability to damage boost certain abilities was not intended during her development.

However, this was 2-3 years ago. This bug has been a known interaction this entire time. Hell, most assumed it was intended. There is simply no way that this has flown under Blizzard’s radar all this time.

To many of us, it seems like Blizzard is trying to sneak in Mercy nerfs under the guise of “Oh, she can do this? Whoopsies! Didn’t realize :slight_smile: Bugfix!” It is extremely clear to us that Blizzard still believes Mercy is too strong, and that this was a way to counter the current Dragonball (Hanzo+Zarya) meta.

At the end of the day, I’m fine with it. Really, I am. It was a bug in the first place and it ended up being toxic, so remove it. But don’t pretend like you haven’t known about it and claiming that it’s not a nerf, because it very clearly is. Treat us with a bit more respect than that.

4 Likes

Did Blizzard test the video game before they released it?

Tell me they did, so I can laugh.

Twenty Million dollars for a slot?

And Blizzard couldn’t even test it properly pre-release?

1 Like

These are flat-out lies. If Moira’s healing was never intended to be able to heal through barriers, why did it take several months to patch it out? This is in spite of the fact that this “bug” was listed as one of the known issues for many months. If Mercy was not intended to damage boost Hanzo’s Dragonstrike (or Dva’s Self Destruct which isn’t being acknowledged), why are those ultimates still affected by Zen’s Orb of Discord which has a similar effect and why were they in the game for approximately two years?

They could say there were bigger issues to deal with, but honestly it looked like Moira’s popularity at some point was too big, so they decided to lower it by making a nerf called “bug fix”. But in the meantime the meta shifted and Moira wasn’t such a good choice anymore ;p Doesn’t matter though.

They could say that Zen orb affects only one enemy, while Boosted Dragons affect everyone on their path. But in the reality suddenly GravDragons meta started to be so popular and they realized boosted Hanzo’s Dragons can outdamage Zenyatta’s Transcendence Healing, so basically it was “you feel in the grav, u ded” almost all the times. NOT ON MY WATCH!

But to be fair, that one applies to all boosters, like Nano or Orisa’s Drum, not only to Mercy xd

if they werent intended you should have told us BEFORE you fixed them