Just asking, why does the Overwatch Team hide nerfs under "Bug fixes"?

Can you guys seriously do this more often in terms of the answers? Like, the mercy question was asked a MILLION times. Just knowing this and saying it would go a LONG way of making things a lot better for everyone trying to understand your thought processes on things.

If these aren’t subtle nerfs, why did it take so long to fix them? Both of these should have been being worked on as soon as they were found, especially since Mercy and Hanzo have been in the game a lot longer than Moria and Moira healing through barriers was clearly a major bug for her

3 Likes

A lot of bugs have been around for a long time. They can fluctuate in development priority over time, as they come to affect gameplay more or less. In this particular case, damage boosting Dragonstrike had almost no purpose, until using it on a Graviton Surge against Transcendence became something that happens every match.

1 Like

So there are two possible conclusions to draw from this.

One is that the developers are lying, which honestly wouldn’t surprise me. Rather than being upfront and honest about their nerfs to certain heroes, they tried to slip a change through without it getting noticed. When players started taking notice in the PTR, they realized they couldn’t slip it through without at least mentioning it in the patch notes, so they decided to label it as a “bug fix”.

The other conclusion to draw from this is that the developers are so insanely clueless that they didn’t realize this “bug” existed for over two years, despite there being numerous in-game indications of it:

• Mercy/Ana get offensive assists from amplifying these abilities.
  • Mercy/Ana are shown assisting in the killfeed when amplifying these abilities.
  • Mercy/Ana get hitmarkers from amplifying these abilities.
  • Mercy’s damage amplified stats are increased by amplifying these abilities.

Have they, in the past two years, played Mercy or Ana at all?

On top of this, its existence was so universally accepted that players discussed it casually on the forums long before this meta took shape. Just look for some “What abilities can Mercy amplify?” threads; it’s all there. If the developers truly read the feedback presented to them, perhaps they would have been made aware of this “bug” much sooner?

32 Likes

If it was truly a bug, why was it allowed to stay in the game for almost 3 months? Some bugs are understandably harder to fix and shouldn’t be an easy fix, however broken things need to be fixed almost the same day they’re found

2 Likes

Great to see some blue activity. I don’t normally do this but can you confirm/deny the issues regarding Reinhardt are being looked at?

2 Likes

I won’t disagree that gameplay-affecting bugs should generally be treated as higher priority for developers. The Overwatch team doesn’t work that way, though. For whatever reason, fixes come extremely slowly, while their development team is presumably focused on something else behind the scenes (OWL features, future events/monetization, etc.).

Ultimately, 3 months is fast in the context of Overwatch’s rate of change. Unless there’s a risk of Sombra becoming viable, nothing happens immediately.

Because they´re spineless cowards who only care about their shareholders. There you go.

2 Likes

I’ve been told on my complaint threads there’s over 100 of them. That should be more than enough if they were all working. OWL should be the last thing they’re focused on. If they don’t please their playerbase, the game will be dead well before OWL starts making them good money. Normal players like us tell others to either buy or not buy the game, and currently I think a lot more of us are saying not to buy the game than to buy it. Events I get if they’re new, like Yeti Hunt and Retribution, but they reused the others with some improvements, which means they really aren’t working on events as much as we’d like. I think one of the big problems too is they like to fix too many cosmetic bugs

But that’s not a bugfix, that’s correcting a design oversight?

1 Like

Those are the kind of things that should be added to the “Known Bug List,” especially if they are unintended and have been since Launch. There’s really no excuse to call this a “bug” after evidently ignoring it for the entire lifespan of the game.

5 Likes

That hurt me deeply.

2 Likes

Forgive me, but that’s such a weak cop-out excuse. If they never intended Mercy to be able to damage-boost ults like Dragonstrike, why was she able to do this from day 1?! THAT is not a bug at all! Just call it what it is, a nerf!

12 Likes

If you never wanted them to be designed like that then why did you wait two years to fix it?

3 Likes

But Mercy has been able to boost dragonstrike from day 1

It only got “fixed” cause there was an uncounterable meta around it.

2 Likes

Because why not add more lies onto the “Rework Success” Mercy pile?

Tbqh the amount of lies they give to justify abusing Mercy players is astounding.

5 Likes

Word it how you want, they were better with. Especially Moira.

Unless the “bug fix” is so sacred as to leave her in a “why play me over Mercy” situation.

Maybe don’t nerf what is working, even if you think it a bug

I still think Moira’s Fade should be 5 seconds and not 6 seconds. I am fine with the no heal through barriers but now she dies much more often. If Fade was 5 seconds, she might be able to get out of there or Fade through the shields more often.

No one cares, this is not a thread about whining about a hero you don’t like. This is about them hiding nerfs as bug fixes

Yeah I really don’t get it, heck even if Torbjorns turrets and Symmetra’s turrets could be power boosted, it would honestly put the game in a better spot balance wise, as they could really use a buff. Junkrats tire going from 600->780(900) seems fine too, as its just over kill at that point.