Jeff’s Kotaku comments on Symmetra

I’m really fascinated by this. A lot of the Sym mains on the forums have aired concerns that she’s underpowered and needs number tweaks to her kit. The way it sounded though was is if they’re not sure of her place.

Right now I think she’s okay at countering goats when she has a pocket. If she had more survivability I think she’d be in a better spot.

I’m just wondering what they are planning. More tiny tweaks in the future or a more extensive tuning.

For context and not reinventing the wheel:

1 Like

I like the fact that they are admitting themselves that the rework didnt work out and still on the fence,this brings up possibilities of upcoming tweaks and buffs in the future.

majority of symm mains and none symm players alike agree that her primary sucks and her clunkyness is holding her back.

12 Likes

I think her primary consumes too much ammo. Its great if you reach lvl 3 dmg, but once youre there you almost have to reload again unless you charged it on a barrier.

14 Likes

If they Primary had a centre lock on the first charge going straight beam at 120 I think that would be enough to fix that and allow her some survivability.

She could use an extra turret in her pocket.

And some more shields or that passive where she generates shields by using her primary would be good and honestly I think she would be very viable. The TP wouldn’t need buffed if she had extra health.

1 Like

I think her left click needs to be changed significantly, and her teleporter should be permanent once it has been placed using mechanics similar to Torb’s turret.

It’s too hard to get value out of a weapon that requires continuous perfect tracking for several moments before it even starts doing significant damage. In theory it would be good against shields, but it requires that Sym get so close to the shield that she might as well just play a different hero and walk around the shield instead. The charge speed update will help. I haven’t tried it extensively myself, but I strongly suspect from what I have seen of the PTR that it will not be enough to make her left click feel worth bothering with most of the time.

I think that Symmetra’s left click is mechanically a poor design for the fast-paced game of Overwatch, and that her old lock-on beam was a much better choice because while it was easy to avoid, it also made other heroes respect her space.

And while we’re at it, her piercing charged shots had an important role too. Her entire weapon set should be reverted.

4 Likes

She needs 225 or 250 hp that’s all

1 Like

She doesn’t have the right hp and overall kit to use her primary. Imagine a Zarya being 200 hp, 0 charge, bubble on CD and playing in the frontline. That’s basically current Sym trying to use her primary.

1 Like

Her primary should be reverted it was a scummy move in the first place chnage the damage to 60-90-120, turrets reverted but with 25damage 25hp and throwability, barrier back on E but it spawns stationary pressing E again makes it move forward, alt fire reverted but if it goes through her own barrier it becomes supercharged and moves at the speed it does now. would be cool to make her a support that can fill the role of a Rein or an Orisa providing cover and area denial.

And worse than that’s a Zarya starts at 95dps and only has 5.5 ticks. Sym has 60dps and 20 ticks.

7 Likes

one of the kit that is holding her back is her turret, its too situational and most symm mains rely on it for far too much! i propose to remove the damage on it but deals slow instead, this will give room for her primary to be tweaked and add damage in order for her ot have consistent damage output that doesnt rely on turret bomb.

she need to be effective when using her beam an on demand no charge gimmick will save her.

ideas for tweaks

• 160 solid dps on her beam(no autolock/softlock) but make it only 10 meters,no ammo charge on barrier but give her back the 100 ammo.
  • orb travel faster with more explosive radius still 120 dps
  • turret is back to 6 but they only deal slow now and can detect enemy like wallhack
  • teleporter is infinite unless destroyed via interact button like tarnslocator. and has 3 m interact radius and 1 sec deployment time.
  • Photon barrier is Opaque to the enemy but transparent to your team this will force enemy to walk to the other side or wait for it to expire, allowing symm to control the area and dictate the movement of the enemy.

Problem is, if they keep going at the speed they are we ain’t gonna have a decent Symm for a year. After all the things picked up on her they only reduce her ramp up from 4 seconds to 3.2 like fair enough it’s a very small step in the right direction but if it’s going to continue this speed it’s gonna be forever.

2 Likes

If only they’d do the same for Mercy sigh

3 Likes

Mercy got a decent buff tho tbf, her ult costs 15% less and when she does ult her healing goes to 60 per second.

I also find it odd how Torbs turret has less cd than Symms, has longer range, more hp and does more damage than one of Symms. Like tf??

1 Like

We already had that “buff” for over a year and it didn’t make Mercy any more enjoyable to play or impactful then, and it won’t now.

Huh? She got that buff this PTR.

While technically a buff from Mercy’s current state, we’ve had 60 hp/sec Valkyrie before. It sucked. It’s still going to suck. But this thread isn’t about Mercy, so I’ll stop there.

I have enjoyed the additional transparency with regard to Symmetra and other developer comments in the recent Twitch live streams. We need more of that for every hero. I know that Blizzard (particularly Jeff) has mentioned that they are afraid of too much transparency because things change and they don’t like making promises to the community and then not keeping them. However, I believe that most of those problems can be mitigated by making sure to set expectations with each new upcoming change.

A great example of commenting on upcoming changes while setting expectations is that recent interview with a dev mentioning Bastion’s upcoming accuracy ramp-up mechanic and saying that it may or may not make it into the PTR from their internal play testing. That’s a change that has been suggested on forums numerous times, and it’s great to hear that they are giving it a chance in internal testing. I won’t be mad if it doesn’t make it to live, though, in particular if they decide to buff Sentry mode in other ways instead.

I would love to see video footage of internal builds of Symmetra that they have tried out in the past. How amazingly cool would it be (and how many viewers could they get?!) if Blizzard devs actually put some of their crazy play testing up on Twitch live from the office?

And how awesome would it be to give them live commentary in Twitch chat? Even if it’s just once a month or something, that would go so far above and beyond the developer updates from Jeff.

3 Likes

Ok cba to read all that, this is a Symmetra thread not mercy. But for the Symm part yes

My god man, it was one paragraph with only four sentences, the fourth of which was:

2 Likes

Corse you love it your a Genji main it removed one of your counters not bias at all are ya >.>

3 Likes