💬 Jeff on Open Queue: "We just hadn't anticipated the success of the mode to be what it was."

1:36:

Jeff, I think many of us very much anticipated it! A huge portion of your playerbase does not want to be forced into Role Queue, and I’m so grateful the Overwatch team tested the mode out and have now realized this.

I knew it was only a matter of time, back when Role Queue was first announced.* In fact the very first comment I made in that thread was that competitive players needed a mode to play competitively without being forced into 2-2-2. Now you’ve finally given us full freedom of choice and I’m very, very appreciative.

*See:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-ptr-patch-notes-july-18-2019/370156/2

Full transcript of the video:

24 Likes

Huge? It’s very region specific and on EU and NA it’s a minor group when looking at the stats Jeff provided.

37 Likes

It had huge success in EU, Korea, and China, and possibly other regions.

Single most popular arcade mode in EU and KR, only second to QPC in CN.

5th in NA - only low interest in NA really.

37 Likes

It will be fun until all in Diamond+ will play GOATS trash and we will back to 222. But having a choice is good so I’m happy with Open Q

6 Likes

Not really, KR sure but EU and China it’s like 12%

h ttps://i.imgur.com/DAd9zXT.png

Look at the percentage of people, it’s not big anywhere but KR

2 Likes

the reason they didnt anticipate them is because to them, we are just chart pies and percentages, thats why all gaming companies are so out of touch. When they look at those charts they dont see real situation of the game.
look, 76% of players engaged with this activity, they must like it! meanwile the game forced them to do said activity or they cant progress further…and they dont see people not liking it.

13 Likes

12% is huge, taking into account it was in the Arcade and it wasn’t even on the big card at first. They only moved it to the big card on the far left later on.

Relative to other Arcade modes, clearly it was enormously popular.

18 Likes

Curious to know what the numbers will be after a while, but Jeff stated the numbers were lower than mystery heroes for the US. They are mainly bringing it back because other regions had more success with it.

1 Like

It really isn’t. It still shows that current normal qp and ranked are still massively favored.
In NA it can’t even beat mystery heroes.

14 Likes

The numbers need to be looked at through the lens of factoring in that it was in the Arcade, and in the small card.

Not surprised about NA where much of the playerbase isn’t that competitive minded as you see by the popularity of Quick Play relative to Competitive.

6 Likes

Perhaps Jeff Kaplan needs to stop listening to us NA players. Our opinions really don’t match up with the rest of the world, and in fact maybe our excessive crying on the forums has led to OW’s current poor state.

16 Likes

Nobody in lader plays the meta so don’t worry. Especially a non dps team.

No way I’m going back to Open Queue. Players rushing to pick DPS first, playing chicken on who will submit and switch to tank, only one healer, or if there’s no main healer (i’m a zenyatta main) everyone yelling at me to switch to a main healer. It’s why I have so many hours in MH.

16 Likes

But outside of KR the number of OC users is less than 15% of the total playerbase, and in what is arguably their largest market- NA- Jeff mentioned it’s less popular than some workshop modes.

I definitely agree with a post on another thread: they’re keeping it for the international players, especially the Koreans, as well as because of queue time improvements, but in terms of total player popularity it barely cracks past other Arcade staples like No Limits or MH.

Maybe the new billing with RQ Comp will help boost that number but I don’t see this being the sea change proponents thought it would be.

2 Likes

I think open queue is a disaster, but I still play it because you can use it to farm comp points without worrying about your rank

6 Likes

I don’t know about NA alone being their largest market exceeding all other regions combined if that’s what you’re suggesting.

In fact, Jeff even specifically says in the update:

A very global game.

And:

1 Like

I extremely dislike it when people say ’ a majority of your playerbase doesn’t like being forced into role queue’. Who are you to decide that without any evidence?
The forums don’t have that many people that complain about 2-2-2 than the complaints about tanks or dps que times or supports.
2-2-2 gave the game structure which a lot more people wanted than the people that didn’t.
I have evidence because you can link me to any thread complaining about 2-2-2 and there are equal number of people defending 2-2-2 as well in those threads and some responses going more in favour of 2-2-2.
Open queue will NEVER replace 2-2-2 even if they do it add it with the main competetive mode.
And give me evidence of a thread which wholeheartedly supports 2-2-2 with more responses in favour of 2-2-2 than against and I will accept your post.

8 Likes

Shame. Overwatch’s population is stretched thin enough as it is, and as a former 2-2-2 hater the changes the format brought are really good. Now with splitting the population… meh.

Ah well, we’ll see how it evolves. If it turns out open queue eventually displaces ranked in player numbers, I needed an excuse to drop one more game from my library anyways I think. Not that their lack of content for non-DPS makes it difficult.

1 Like

brigitte isnt what she was, neither is goats

1 Like

Not trying to disprove your point or anything, but I do recall Jeff saying those stats were only with a couple weeks of having it active.

If I recall correctly, that is; too lazy to go find it so uh…lemme know, or don’t. I’m fine with either. :slight_smile: