Jeff Kaplan talks about 1/3/2

Someone created a community post about an idea for the game to go 1/3/2 and the man himself, Daddy… I mean Jeff Kaplan has responded to it as you can see above.

I decided to make a whole new post acted as a Megathread of sorts so everyone can discuss about it.

For me, I honestly would like to give 1/3/2 a try on PTR (the PTR is also meant to be a place for testing features, not showing a preview of them) to see how it will work.

Obviously, if 1/3/2 WERE and again, WERE to happen then there would need to be massive balance changes for everyone, Tanks would probably need to be a Raid Boss style (sounds pretty cool, wonder what a Raid boss D.va will be like?), Damage and Support I’m not sure about but I’ll let the community think about this one.

Anyways, discuss your thoughts about this!

2 Likes

I would be down with testing it. But if it genuinely makes tanks not want to play the game anymore, that is a problem too. It is just hard because we would need to test it for a long period of time on live, basically a month or so, just to get enough data and let people warm up (or start to see the faults) of the idea.

2 Likes

As a tank player myself, 2/2/2 is honestly not fun for me personally as it practically restricted the Tank category to Shield tanks, especially on QP which is mean to be casual play (though it isn’t explained clearly), and without going the meta, you lose.

I would honestly have 1/3/2 if it means playing D.va again.

//20char

Jeff saw the problems. I miss Jeff.

Keep in mind ITT it’s dps/tank/support. Not tank/dps/support.

6 Likes

Introducing the Necrotic Orb was a big mistake

1 Like

3 years later…

6 Likes

Jeff also saw it’s benefits……he cites both…they had a choice and they ultimately went with 222 (as opposed to they scrapped 132 as an idea)….and here we are 2 years later and 222 caused enough issues that they reconsidered it

At the very least it’s comforting to see that they didnt just say “oh my god…it’s different….it’s the worst change ever!!” like we tend to do on here….

They gave it a proper considerstion

5 Likes

“The other fear around a 3-2-1 comp is the importance it places on the Tank player. In our playtesting, this has manifested itself in two notable ways. 1) Some players feel a lot of pressure to choose the “correct” tank. If there is only one tank, the team has a very strong opinion about who that tank should be. Another fear around this issue is that metas will be even more limited as players tend to take the “path of least resistance” towards their hero choices. If Reinhardt is deemed meta, do we only see Rein from now on? Are we all mad at our tank player if they play the hamster? 2) Some tank players felt a tremendous anxiety about their performance in the match. They felt like being the lone tank put a lot of pressure on them and if they died, it was a really big deal. Some of our tank/support players who would occasionally play tank stopped playing tank during 3-2-1 and only gravitated toward support because they felt intimidated to be “the main tank” and have so much focus on their play. “ -JK

I think his points on one tank are going to be exactly what happens a month after release. I have those fears too Divorced Daddy Jeff.

4 Likes

I don’t think the move to 5v5 is bad. Though I dislike many of the changes they made to get there.

I used to play a lot of 5v5 with a group of people I played with a lot. There were only 10 of us and we’d make a custom game. Worked pretty well with the OW1 heros and rules.

Play was more aggressive but it didn’t feel bad as a support or tank IMO. So I was optimistic about the change when it first announced.

It doesn’t look so good right now though. To be fair, I haven’t played it yet. I plan to and give it an honest shot. Which is why I am not signing up for beta. I want to try it when they feel like it is in a state to be released.

I am not so optimistic right now, but there are some things that give me hope. As a rather aggressive tank and support player, it may suit my play style better than the current game.

1 Like

its fine, it a nice memory :smiley:

1 Like

Interesting necrobump

3 Likes

Jeff Kaplan is gone guys, it’s time for folks at accept it and move on rather than continuously quoting old posts that he made and necro-bumbing old threads about him or threads he posted in and waxxing poeting about all the great stuff he did.

Seriously, he didn’t always post good stuff either, remember how one Christmas he trolled the entire community by live streaming himself just sitting in front of a fireplace all day?

All good devs must have left this shady studio so we end up with trash ow2.

2 Likes

best memory of kaplan is when he exposed a cheater on the forums. was funny as hell

2 Likes

That’s not good stuff?

6 Likes

That is called a Yule Log stream for a reason…

7 Likes

That’s damn funny. I just had a good lol thinking about that.

4 Likes

Why have there been so many necros lately? Does nobody have anything to talk about anymore?

everyone is searching trying to find where it all went wrong and we ended up here

3 Likes