Jeff Kaplan on Role Queue

Its not a matter of being onetrick or not, the whole problem stems from the fact that we have 7 support, 7 tanks and 16 dps.
Just by looking at the numbers its obvious that dps will have more waittimes.

It also doesnt help that tanking and healing requies different set of skills to get maximum gains from while dps only needs the standards with good aim. We only have like 2 healers and 2 tanks who can play as dps the rest requies much more to be valuable (not talking about moira).

People claiming that I’m speculating or that I have no data, please refrain from following this topic any further. You clearly have a Trump-like view on what facts and calculations actually mean.

I share your feeling that tanks are very impopular. But not that impopular. There just can’t be as little as one tank player in every 50 players.

No, that wasn’t the case. He mentioned 76 as an example, but he has never indicated that the discussion was about breaking it down any further than the three roles Damage, Tank and Healer.

I’m not sure what he meant by claiming that, but if so, he hasn’t thought it through. If there is one queue for each hero role, there can’t be a problem with the option to queue up as every role (or two of them). When you get a game, of course you will be assigned one of the roles in that specific game, but the queuing specifically can be done as any role.

I did. And I understand that it’s easier to try and come up with your own way of reasoning than understanding mine. But what I said makes sense. Reading it again might help.

Not really in my experience. Even in games where the sheer number of tanks and healers equals DPS, DPS player inevitably tend to be the worst one-tricks of them all and least willing to heal or tank. I have seen this tendency across multiple games, including WOW and FF… and even Team Fortress for instance.

FF even allows you to have one character who literally can learn all classes… and even then its the same problem, people want to DPS and have to wait… despite no SR system and being able to play whatever they want to learn…

I read it then and now i read it again but my point still stands. Sheer numerical statistics shows an approx 500-600% quene time increase and in the games where they have role quene the dps waittimes are huge.

But if you think otherwise i suggest a little experiment. Go and make a post where you ask what is their favorite hero and why. Count each answer, put them into roles and see for yourself about what are the avarage percentages of the roles people like to choose.

2 Likes